Cognitive Dissonance and Holohoaxers

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
jnovitz
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Cognitive Dissonance and Holohoaxers

Postby jnovitz » 9 years 7 months ago (Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:18 am)

Do Holohoaxers fit the pattern of Cognitive Dissonance? By Holohoaxers I do not mean the vague "everyone says gas chambers happened so it must be true" that all of us have held at some point in our lives. Rather I mean the Andrew "I am going to visit **** library and punch ***** denier" Mathis internet stalking personalities who have read to much revisionism to be under any illusion as to the fabrications but still loudly and hysterically maintains its fictions.

A brief description of Cognitive Dissonance can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

Lets examine one of the more credulous claims....that 800 000 Jews were gassed with diesel exhaust, buried in 3 long and deep pits and then dug up on Himmler's orders and cremated on gigantic pyres so that not so much of shred of tooth or bone or charcoal is visible today. And see how it fits Festinger's model.

A belief must be held with deep conviction and it must have some relevance to action, that is, to what the believer does or how he behaves.
The person holding the belief must have committed himself to it; that is, for the sake of his belief, he must have taken some important action that is difficult to undo. In general, the more important such actions are, and the more difficult they are to undo, the greater is the individual's commitment to the belief.

A holohoax believer sees Jews isolated in a hostile world surronded by invisible enemies dedicated to repeating Treblinka.

Rational actions, such as the acquisition of Nuclear power to prolong the one cash export a country possesses is seen as a secret and diabolical plot to blow up Israel regardless of the complete disaster such a course of action would result in the muslim nation.

The belief must be sufficiently specific and sufficiently concerned with the real world so that events may unequivocally refute the belief.
Such undeniable disconfirmatory evidence must occur and must be recognized by the individual holding the belief.

Leaving aside the complete improbable nature of the Treblinka narrative it is a narrative that can be definitively tested. This was done several years ago by Australian engineer, Richard Krege, who using remote sensing technology demonstrated the complete absence of any soil disturbance at Treblinka sufficient to contain even so much as 1% of the 800 000 Jews, let alone buried piles of ashes and bone fragments.

The first two of these conditions specify the circumstances that will make the belief resistant to change.

Indeed
The third and fourth conditions together, on the other hand, point to factors that would exert powerful pressure on a believer to discard his belief. It is, of course, possible that an individual, even though deeply convinced of a belief, may discard it in the face of unequivocal disconfirmation. We must therefore, state a fifth condition specifying the circumstances under which the belief will be discarded and those under which it will be maintained with new fervor.

It is interesting in this context that I offered a group of Holohoaxers a fully funded trip to Treblinka completed with GPR hire so they could repeat the study and see for themselves.

The hysterical response I received seems very much to confirm Festinger's model. One, a certain Dr Nick Terry, leaped from excuse to excuse, before finally settling on a valid reason, albeit hardly one that paints him in a very flattering light, that it would damage his career.

The individual believer must have social support. It is unlikely that one isolated believer could withstand the kind of disconfirming evidence we have specified. If, however, the believer is a member of a group of convinced persons who can support one another, we would expect the belief to be maintained and the believers to attempt to proselyte or to persuade nonmembers that the belief is correct.

Given the large number of funding grants for Holohoaxisms this aspect of Festinger's model is easily met.

The only thing that makes be doubt how successful Cognitive Dissonance in explaining Holohoax behaviour is that Cognitive Dissonance would require Hoaxers to actually believe the Treblinka narrative.

Sadly my experiences with those such as Drs Terry and Mathis convinces me this is not the case.

jnovitz
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby jnovitz » 9 years 7 months ago (Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:55 am)

I should like to add I credit Dr Nick Terry with pointing me in the direction of Wikipedia's concise summary of Festinger's thesis.

I would hate to replicate his rather sloppy methods in footnoting that were evident in his Police Decodes article!

I will simply reiterate the offer I made to him earlier: A joint party of two revisionists, Dr Terry and a fellow academic of his choice to repeat the Krege study at Treblinka. All expenses paid by me.

In view of his well founded fears of his career being damaged I would be personally open to his working under a pseudonym, in the same manner that Germar Rudolf was forced to at times.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 9 years 7 months ago (Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:59 am)

Cognitive dissonance describes the reaction people show, when they are confronted with contradictory information.

This is the feeling of uncomfortable tension which comes from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time.

Dissonance increases with:

The importance of the subject to us.
How strongly the dissonant thoughts conflict.
Our inability to rationalize and explain away the conflict...
http://changingminds.org/explanations/t ... onance.htm

That this may play a role with Holocaustians I won't dispute. However I think that other techniques are even stronger within Holocaust indoctrination. I would point out to different versions of shaming techniques. There is more then one device being used. Shock of death, pitty with victims, outrage about perpetrators, guilt, even nackedness and group solidarity against an enemy are used. There is also an element of division between: victims, perpetrators and people not related to that supposed event.

It is also interesting what else this Festinger did write:
...What happens to a person's private opinion if he is forced to do or say something contrary to that opinion? Only recently has there been any experimental work related to this question. Two studies reported by Janis and King (1954; 1956) clearly showed that, at least under some conditions, the private opinion changes so as to bring it into closer correspondence with the overt behavior the person was forced to perform. Specifically, they showed that if a person is forced to improvise a speech supporting a point of view with which he disagrees, his private opinion moves toward the position advocated in the speech...
http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Festinger/

Must I point out, why this is relevant to the Holocaust as well.

PotPie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby PotPie » 9 years 7 months ago (Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:36 am)

jnovitz wrote:I will simply reiterate the offer I made to him earlier: A joint party of two revisionists, Dr Terry and a fellow academic of his choice to repeat the Krege study at Treblinka. All expenses paid by me.

:lol: He isn't even willing to come here and share the knowledge that he has accumulated in his field of expertise. What an easy win that would be for him, you would think!

jnovitz
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby jnovitz » 9 years 7 months ago (Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:29 pm)

Potpie,

I should add I dont see this as a challenge, such as NAFCASH challenge that every Holohoaxer as run away from.

Rather I see this a way of breaking the Gordian Knot of disbelief that each side greets the other studies.

For example, Hoaxers regularly claim that Krege study was deceitful, while I am personally deeply suspicious and mistrusting of the Kola study at Belzec.

The benefit of this arrangement that if two representatives from each side generate the data together, there can be no dispute as to authenticity but only towards interpretation.

For my part if, standing in the company of Dr Terry and his fellow academic, I see beautifully formed mass graves scrolling of the laptop display from the GPR scans then I undertake to push this forward and to provide this date to all revisionists forums and venues. And for my own part why on earth would I wish to conceal the fact that genuine mass graves exist at Treblinka, if they do in fact exist?

I have the courage of my convictions, it is Dr Terry who does not.

This is where the model of Cognitive Dissonance falls down.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 9 years 7 months ago (Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 am)

The Exterminationist Critique of the Krege is usually that he didn't publish the results. When they brought this up, I usually ask them, whether they have proof of 700.000 people being buried at Treblinka and whether this proof can be verified. I didn't get any serious reply until now.

Isn't it astonishing how the Exterminationist find so much fault with the works of Revisionists, yet they never can deliver the positive evidence that would be required to defend their thesis?!

Wonder what that psychological mechanism is called?

Barrington James
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Barrington James » 9 years 7 months ago (Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:19 am)

Due to credulous nature of most people that has enabled them to believe in religions that have advocated the worshiping of everything from the sun to the moon to rivers, mountains, oceans, animals, fish, and birds, and worst of all their fellow man, and, whats more, has allowed them to the partake in religious practices such physical mutilation, the caste system, and human sacrifice, let alone the religious methods of conversion and intolerance from the use of torture such as the stake and the rack, and due to fact the size of their brains that has allowed them to justify war and slavery as a method of solving problems and to enjoy feelings of such importance that they can justify to themselves why they should live in splendor while most of the world lives in misery, I would say that any wide spread belief of mankind such as the holocaust is bound to be more foolish than wise. What's more, sadly, any attempts to reason them out of something they have not been reasoned into is bound to fail.

So gentleman it is not that your arguments have not been sound; it's just that they have fallen on human ears.
You can fool too many of the people most of the time.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 9 years 7 months ago (Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:05 am)

Barrington James wrote:....What's more, sadly, any attempts to reason them out of something they have not been reasoned into is bound to fail.

So gentleman it is not that your arguments have not been sound; it's just that they have fallen on human ears.
That might be the major mistake critiques of the Holocaust have undertaken, since they got a line of argument together. Most attempts to convince someone with facts and logic have been futile. The only ones that may have been open to arguments were those that already smelled a rat in the story. What surprises me is that not more smell this rat, since it is not actually hiding or trying to cover its fumes.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Comments / News”