article: 'David Irving does not represent Holocaust Revisionism'

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Hadding

Re: article: 'David Irving does not represent Holocaust Revisionism'

Postby Hadding » 3 years 2 weeks ago (Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:22 am)

Wow, Flimflam, you really have flimflammed yourself. You didn't catch me dissembling whatsoever. You made an irrelevant point about Weber and called it a victory.

Just now you put "squishy and squashy" in quotes, attributing it to me, but I never said that.

At least you still admit that you dismissed my article about Irving without reading it.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 3 years 2 weeks ago (Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm)

Hadding wrote:Some people, I notice, are more interested in defending David Irving than in defending Revisionism.

If David Irving derives a net benefit from my article despite the criticism of him that it contains -- which he seems to regard as the case, since he links to it in his online newsletter -- that is fine with me, as I harbor no ill will toward him, but the purpose was to defend Holocaust Revisionism.

If Irving is wrongfully accused, it's perfectly OK to defend him.
If Irving made a mistake in a statement and argument, one ought to point this out and correct.

I do not see any conflict between critique or defense of Irving, and for that matter anyone else, and defending/critique of Revisionism.

Revisionism isn't an ideology or social institution, it's a good and needed practice in historiography.

PotPie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby PotPie » 3 years 2 weeks ago (Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:36 pm)

Hannover wrote:David Irving is being used in an anti-Revisionist campaign, i.e. the movie 'Denial' as an accurate representative of Revisionist research.
He is certainly not that.
He's been set-up as the strawman, a false argument.

No question there. You can see this technique used in politics or whatever. Construct a straw man, bash it, and then declare yourself the victor.

They're banking on people not double-checking their assertions, and they would be correct in that. You can see the technique being used against Donald Trump.

These propagandists have quite an understanding of human psychology and the inherent intellectual laziness of the average person, and they design their arguments to exploit those.

Thank goodness for the internet, so at least the controlled media isn't the only voice out there.

It seems to me that Revisionism is spreading, and I don't think that's just my perception.

Hadding

Postby Hadding » 3 years 2 weeks ago (Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:18 pm)

Defending David Irving and defending Holocaust Revisionism are different, somewhat conflicting priorities.

flimflam
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby flimflam » 3 years 2 weeks ago (Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:52 pm)

At least you still admit that you dismissed my article about Irving without reading it.

If I wanted to read a hit piece on Irving, or Weber, I'd log into the ADL site, not CODOH.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”