The Crime of Complicity: The Bystander in the Holocaust (New Book)

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Sannhet
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

The Crime of Complicity: The Bystander in the Holocaust (New Book)

Postby Sannhet » 7 months 6 days ago (Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 pm)

Allow me to introduce a fresh face on the Holocaust Enforcement scene: Amos Guiora, Professor of Law (University of Utah). (This name does not appear in the CODOH-Forum archive so I presume he is unknown around here.)

He has published a book (April 2017) called The Crime of Complicity: The Bystander in the Holocaust (not banned at Amazon.com, unlike Holocaust-skeptical material). From the Amazon blurb:
Guiora recommends that we must make the obligation to intervene the law, and thus non-intervention a crime.
Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars (18 customer reviews)
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #241,685 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#134 in Books > Law > Legal Theory & Systems > Jurisprudence
#505 in Books > History > World > Jewish > Holocaust
#954 in Books > Law > Criminal Law

Mr. Guiora has been on a book-promotion tour and recently spoke in Cleveland. (His name is misspelled in the Cleveland Jewish News article):
Role of bystander in Holocaust reviewed in book
guiroa_holocaust_complicity_book.png
guiroa_holocaust_complicity_book.png (321 KiB) Viewed 732 times

“Even though both my parents were survivors, I grew up in a home that didn’t talk about it,” Guiroa said.

While Guiroa examined the history of the Holocaust, he noticed the bystander character continuously appearing. “The more I researched, the more I became focused on the question as a bystander, the individual who sees another individual in distress,” he said.

Guiroa said the more he...recognized the complicity of sovereign states as bystanders, he understood the trials of his parents in the Holocaust. “As a law professor, the bystander who doesn’t intervene is committing a crime of non-intervention,” he said.
I must say I am not sure I understand this statement. Is he saying that the non-Nazi states were all guilty of being bystanders in the 1930s? In other words, "Britain, the USA, France, and others, should have launched a preemptive war on Germany before they had a chance to holocaust all those people."

The author's background:
Amos Guiora [born circa 1957] was born in Israel. The family moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan before he began school. [...] After graduating from [law school], Guiora returned to Israel and served in the Israeli Defense Forces Judge Advocate General Corps, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.[4] [He served 19 years in the IDF]. Guiora teaches Criminal Law, Global Perspectives on Counter-terrorism, Religion and Terrorism, and National Security Law.[5] He is a widely cited expert on Legal Aspects of Counterterrorism, Terror Financing, International Law, and Morality in Armed Conflict.[5]
Amos N. Guiora is Professor of Law at the S.J. Quinney College of Law, the University of Utah and Lieutenant Colonel (Ret.) in the Israel Defense Forces. He is actively involved in the effort to legislate Holocaust-Genocide education in Utah public schools. [From Amazon blurb for his book].
I can also note here that Mr. Guiora defends, on legal grounds, the IDF's practice of 'targeted killings' of individual Gaza Palestinians that Israel deems a national security threat, which some might compare to mafia-style "hits." He argues that this practice is perfectly legal and legitimate under international law. Make of that what you will.

Could our good Holocaust Enforcer, Mr. Guiora, be a selective moralist?

Sannhet
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: The Crime of Complicity: The Bystander in the Holocaust (New Book)

Postby Sannhet » 7 months 5 days ago (Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm)

A little bit of the book is publicly available through the "Look Inside" sneak preview feature at Amazon.

I will reproduce the Dedication and Preface here for comment:

guiora_book_dedication.gif
guiora_book_dedication.gif (147.89 KiB) Viewed 708 times
guiroa_book_preface1.gif
guiroa_book_preface1.gif (213.5 KiB) Viewed 708 times

There is much interesting material in these couple of pages, including Mr. Guiora's understanding of what happened to his grandfather, a Hungarian Jew born likely in the late 1800s and of some means (in that he could afford to send his son [b. 1925; the father of the author Mr. Guiora] off to study in Budapest):
In late 1944, my paternal grandfather, Salamon Goldberg, was murdered in Auschwitz.

Mr. Guiora also says this in his preface:
It was humbling to discover how little I knew about the Holocaust

(Note to a moderator: I do not know how to post images not in this 'preview' mode, by which the image appears scaled-down and the text small. If you could edit this so the image appears with img tags in full size, readable, I would appreciate it.)

Breker
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Breker » 7 months 5 days ago (Mon May 08, 2017 7:54 pm)

We see that this is the same Amos Guira who wants to ban free speech in the US.

Law professor Amos Guiora: ‘Time to revisit limits on free speech’ following Trump win
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -limits-o/

Who get's to decide what speech should be 'limited'? Who get's to decide what speech is "harmful"?
I always thought that speech that someone doesn't like is the very speech that needed to be protected.
B.
Revisionists are just the messengers, the impossibility of the "Holocaust" narrative is the message.

Atigun
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Atigun » 7 months 4 days ago (Tue May 09, 2017 9:01 pm)

The same people who determine which Palestinians need to be killed will determine what speech is "harmful."

Valfrum

Postby Valfrum » 7 months 4 days ago (Wed May 10, 2017 12:13 am)

I feel this is to produce a fresh wave of guilt in Allied countries. The Bible should mean something to such religious people. Right out of Moses's Ten Commandments:
Exodus 20-5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

To me, a forgiving Christian, it's clear the Lord dishes out the punishment, otherwise he gets angry when someone takes up his job. :angel4:

Sannhet
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Sannhet » 7 months 3 days ago (Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 pm)

Valfrum wrote:I feel this is to produce a fresh wave of guilt in Allied countries.

Well, guilt is a means and not an end, right?

The "ends." What are they? It does seem to me that one, in this book's case, is 'No to isolationism, for vigorous interventionism.' That is, against 'evil' governments (Syria and the like). Say no to 'the crime of complicity'!

Attached is the book's table of contents.

guiora_book_contents.png
guiora_book_contents.png (73.12 KiB) Viewed 532 times

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Comments / News”