Movie 'The Stranger' – How did the narrative evolve?

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Inge

Movie 'The Stranger' – How did the narrative evolve?

Postby Inge » 2 months 1 week ago (Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:09 pm)

A few days ago I watched the movie The Stranger (1946) with Edward G. Robinson and Orson Welles. I had watched it before, somewhere in the 1970s or so, but I love these old movies. Robinson plays a Nazi-hunter and at a certain point he shows the woman who just married the suspected nazi a film fragments about the horrors of WW2. One of those scenes is the old man who is put on a stretcher by Red Cross people, he clutches his hand together towards the camera to show his gratitude. If I am correct this footage was taken after the bombing of Nordhausen by the British but I am not sure.
A pile of dead bodies is shown. Footage of a prison is shown, cell doors close together on both sides and a catwalk going round. I have never seen this footage before. “A gas chamber”, Robinson explains: “the candidates were first given hot showers so that their pores would open so that the gas would act much more quickly”.
And next he explains: “And this is a lime pit in which hundreds of man, women and children were buried alive”. Here we see allied soldiers entering a wooden shack and a wooden torch with a piece of cloth wrapped around it is shown. Yes it looks like a torch but how does this prove people were buried alive? It does not make any sense.

I watched this movie together with my brother and we were both surprised that the images and the story that was told did not match up at all. We had both seen this movie before, why did we only see this now? Maybe because we were children back then, we would have believed anything.

This is a 1946 movie so the war had only just ended. Of course the plot is fictional but some original footage was used and it is clearly intended to shock and educate the general public. Because there was no footage of a gas chamber available they showed us the inside of a prison. I had hears about gas chambers disguised as showers but never that people actually got a shower before being gassed.

It’s still a great movie, if you like these old black and white ones I can surely recommend it. Great actors, good plot. Maybe a little far fetched that a former Nazi would hide in plain sight in the US but it makes a great movie.
But all this made me wonder: how did the official narrative evolve over time? Has there been any research or books written about it? If not, maybe I should do some research myself.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: Movie The Stranger – How did the narrative evolve?

Postby Hektor » 2 months 1 week ago (Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:12 pm)

Inge wrote:....
This is a 1946 movie so the war had only just ended. Of course the plot is fictional but some original footage was used and it is clearly intended to shock and educate the general public. Because there was no footage of a gas chamber available they showed us the inside of a prison. I had hears about gas chambers disguised as showers but never that people actually got a shower before being gassed.

It’s still a great movie, if you like these old black and white ones I can surely recommend it. Great actors, good plot. Maybe a little far fetched that a former Nazi would hide in plain sight in the US but it makes a great movie.
But all this made me wonder: how did the official narrative evolve over time? Has there been any research or books written about it? If not, maybe I should do some research myself.

Indeed, a year distance. It's quite interesting they would theme a movie in that way as well.
The plots were the object of fear isn't shown are done that way on purpose, they get the minds of the audience creating the object for themselves. That often makes the whole thing more convincing.

The NSDAP had about 8 million members. That a "nazi" would move to the US and live their in plain sight won't be anything strange at all. Well, perhaps that short after the war of course.

borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: Movie 'The Stranger' – How did the narrative evolve?

Postby borjastick » 2 months 1 week ago (Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 pm)

Hiding in plain sight? No problem. This was the basis of the Christopher Plummer movie Remember a couple of years back.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3704050/?r ... lmg_act_11

Haven't seen it myself and neither have I seen The Stranger, maybe I will get them both on dvd but they are both following the classic holocaust promotion route which makes clear suggestion that gas chambers and mass murder were just meat and two veg to those evil Nazis. Kids and the gullible lap it up and we are left to try unpick the rubbish and educate the masses.
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 2 months 1 week ago (Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:32 am)

Edward G. Robinson is Jewish, by the way. A total name change. The evolution of the story involves certain elements being so stupid that they're discarded. Often after holocaust deniers criticize. So the pores thing is no more. Buried alive in a lime pit is no more. Here is the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zU7MoRuGDw

where is the scene you're mentioning?

Inge

Postby Inge » 2 months 1 week ago (Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:08 am)

Carto's Cutlass Supreme wrote:....
where is the scene you're mentioning?

On my recording it is about 56 minutes into the movie. The woman who just married the alleged Nazi visits her dad, the judge, and Robinson is there. He asks the judge to dim the lights and shows her some film.

One of those scenes clearly shows the inside of a prison but I have no idea where that is.

I just read that the producer is Sam Spiegel. Goldwyn Mayer, there are a lot of Jewish names in it.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 2 months 1 week ago (Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:25 pm)

Hi Inge,

OK. Going by the movie on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zU7MoRuGDw

59:56 Pile of bodies. Belsen

1:00:20 alleged gas chamber. Split level, balcony, A-frame roof that lets light in so maybe made of glass. This photo is not in the holocaust photos that I've ever seen. It appears to be a prison perhaps? One can see two stories. Here it appears the movie makers don't use anything based on the alleged proof of any gas chamber.

1:00:33 Ohrdruf beginning of Allied Psych Warfare operation. Where Eisenhower, Patton, and Omar Bradley were present.

1:01:02 Starving man on stretcher holding hands together. Belsen.

This forum is a great place to find out about these places. As is my video "Buchenwald. A Dumb Dumb Portrayal of Evil." as is the blog by "Furtherglory" furtherglory.wordpress.com and associated site called scrapbookpages.com. The only problem with "Furtherglory's" writings, is that for years she was a crypto-holocaust denier, so sometimes her articles say the holocaust happened, but also give evidence why it's a hoax, in the same article. Best source on Belsen by far is a book called "After Daybreak" by Ben Shephard.

A movie like this, with it's political orientation and support for the myth is likely one reason Orson Welles is lauded as an auteur. Alfred Hitchcock made similar movies. It goes even further though: Filmmaker George Stevens was directly involved in film for the Psych Warfare Operation element of the myth, and he went on to become famous too. Possibly rewarded? There's a radio component also: Edward Murrow, working for William Paley promotes psych warfare operation at Buchenwald, goes on to be a major US commentator, helping to take down McCarthy in the 1950's. Some were already known and then got more famous. Reward?

If you like the auteur directors and want to see a great example of a non-Jewish director doing a jew-adulation movie, that is at the same time critical of his own Swedish ethno/religious background, then that would be 'Fanny and Alexander' by Ingmar Bergman.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”