List of 'Mad/Evil Nazi' portrayals in movies, TV and media?

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Callahan
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

List of 'Mad/Evil Nazi' portrayals in movies, TV and media?

Postby Callahan » 3 months 3 weeks ago (Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:35 am)

Is there anywhere an exhaustive list of movies and/or TV shows that have depictions of WWII-era "Nazis" as villainous psychopaths? If not, can we start one here?

A lot of the Marvel and DC superhero shows and movies have these sorts of themes; Captain America's nemesis comes to mind ("heil Hydra!"), as well as the overlapping plot between several of the DC shows (Arrow, the Flash, Supergirl, DC Legends) featuring an alternate reality where evil Nazis won WWII and the world is an evil Nazi empire. Then there was Spielberg's Indiana Jones series of decades prior, of course, where the Nazis are seeking evil superpowers, and the recent "Inglorious Basterds" which further promotes the idea of their being the ultimate evil, deserving torture and humiliation and nothing more.
captain_america_red_skull_c_by_darkartistdomain-d3bxrn3.jpg
Good vs. Evil
captain_america_red_skull_c_by_darkartistdomain-d3bxrn3.jpg (277.47 KiB) Viewed 879 times

There are seemingly countless others, especially if we include documentaries or perhaps series' such as "The Holocaust" (starring Meryl Streep and directed by Noam Chomsky's cousin, Marvin!) of the 1970s which, as some may not be aware, was largely how the term "Holocaust" became popularized. I do believe there is already a Wikipedia page for Holocaust documentaries and films, however. I am more interested in the many other popular films and shows that feature story elements or obvious references to Nazism of the era as a unique evil.

Whatcha got?

JLAD Prove Me Wrong
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: List of 'Mad/Evil Nazi' portrayals in movies, TV and media?

Postby JLAD Prove Me Wrong » 3 months 3 weeks ago (Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:31 am)

Callahan wrote:Is there anywhere an exhaustive list of movies and/or TV shows that have depictions of WWII-era "Nazis" as villainous psychopaths? If not, can we start one here?

A lot of the Marvel and DC superhero shows and movies have these sorts of themes; Captain America's nemesis comes to mind ("heil Hydra!"), as well as the overlapping plot between several of the DC shows (Arrow, the Flash, Supergirl, DC Legends) featuring an alternate reality where evil Nazis won WWII and the world is an evil Nazi empire. Then there was Spielberg's Indiana Jones series of decades prior, of course, where the Nazis are seeking evil superpowers, and the recent "Inglorious Basterds" which further promotes the idea of their being the ultimate evil, deserving torture and humiliation and nothing more.
captain_america_red_skull_c_by_darkartistdomain-d3bxrn3.jpg
There are seemingly countless others, especially if we include documentaries or perhaps series' such as "The Holocaust" (starring Meryl Streep and directed by Noam Chomsky's cousin, Marvin!) of the 1970s which, as some may not be aware, was largely how the term "Holocaust" became popularized. I do believe there is already a Wikipedia page for Holocaust documentaries and films, however. I am more interested in the many other popular films and shows that feature story elements or obvious references to Nazism of the era as a unique evil.

Whatcha got?

Take you pick.

https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?key ... ail&page=1

There are 2,071 in total. Keep in mind that you can filter searches keywords such as "Holocaust" or "Based on a Novel", etc. You can also determine in what order you want to sort them, like year or alphabetical.
If your beliefs cannot stand up to your own sincere scrutiny and skeptical evaluation, they are not worth having.

TimeTraveler

Postby TimeTraveler » 3 months 3 weeks ago (Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:12 pm)

JLAD Prove Me Wrong wrote:
Take you pick.

https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?key ... ail&page=1

There are 2,071 in total. Keep in mind that you can filter searches keywords such as "Holocaust" or "Based on a Novel", etc. You can also determine in what order you want to sort them, like year or alphabetical.

Exactly, Every single ww2 movie that shows the European Theater is nothing but the whole "evil nazi" and "holocaust" stuff. The only ones that I've seen that don't get into really anything like that is "A woman in Berlin" "White Tiger" and "My Honor was loyalty" but that's about it.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 3 months 3 weeks ago (Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm)

Star Wars? Is it Darth Vader's helmet, or the Storm Troopers' helmet that is meant to resemble a German soldier's helmet.

Did Noam Chomsky's nephew really direct the late 1970's holocaust miniseries? I didn't know that. I watched it as a 7th grader when it came out. Greatly effected me, and have seen excerpts nowadays where I role my eyes at the falsehoods.

The chutzpah of the Raider's of the Lost Ark storyline: go to Egypt which if full of real ancient Egyptian treasures, and there find an ancient Jewish (made up) treasure.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 3 months 3 weeks ago (Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:41 pm)

Carto's Cutlass Supreme wrote:Star Wars? Is it Darth Vader's helmet, or the Storm Troopers' helmet that is meant to resemble a German soldier's helmet.

I was thinking that as well. Darth Vader's helmet reminds of a German army helmet. The rest is rather remote, though. It's also kind of an Oedipus complex displayed therein. A hint at Germans being one of American's biggest ancestry groups.
Carto's Cutlass Supreme wrote:Did Noam Chomsky's nephew really direct the late 1970's holocaust miniseries? I didn't know that. I watched it as a 7th grader when it came out. Greatly effected me, and have seen excerpts nowadays where I role my eyes at the falsehoods.
I was not aware neither, but it seems Marvin Chomsky is indeed a cousin of Noam Chomsky:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_J._Chomsky

Trying to recall, I think I watched the Holocaust miniseries together with a baby sitter. Was pretty small at the time, probably to young too watch something like this. It left a deep impression and probably primed my Holocaust belief that lasted for more than a decade. The school stuff was the Allied propaganda films (I think it was material from Belsen). Teacher definitely showed it for shock purpose as an introduction. Of course I didn't know at the time what I know now. Neither did any of the fellow pupils. Otherwise it would have a far harder sell for the teacher (a staunch Holocaust believer) under all the tough questions. The material was from end of war concentration camps, taken by the allies under supervision of psychological warfare units. There were difficult provision problems for a while already. Typhus was a problem, so where other diseases. All those facts were omitted. Without going into doubting photographic authenticity here, I consider those omission as an attempt of deception from the side of educational systems. I presume those films and photos are shown to kids in Germany, Netherlands, Britain, US and a lot of other countries and that the educators themselves are actually primed by people from organizations with a vested interest in the matter (who, no doubt, get government funds for their dubious services). If that material was part of a movie and Holocaust-unrelated, it would for sure get an over 18 rating, but I think the kids confronted at schools are far younger than that.

Would be interesting to see, what exactly is presented in school books and class to kids right now.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme wrote:The chutzpah of the Raider's of the Lost Ark storyline: go to Egypt which if full of real ancient Egyptian treasures, and there find an ancient Jewish (made up) treasure.

Indeed, but still more believable than the Holocaust story line.

HeiligeSturm
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby HeiligeSturm » 3 months 2 weeks ago (Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:20 pm)

Carto's Cutlass Supreme wrote:The chutzpah of the Raider's of the Lost Ark storyline: go to Egypt which if full of real ancient Egyptian treasures, and there find an ancient Jewish (made up) treasure.

Also the use of 1940 military uniforms, MP40s, all the swastika flags and a U-boat in a foreign country in 1936.
Afrika Korps didn't exist until 1941 and they weren't even in Egypt.
The real Ahnenerbe expeditions (e.g. to Tibet) and archaeology trips were made in more discreet manner and mostly in civilian clothes.
The chutzpah of Spielberg continued in Schindler's List with many other inaccuracies and fables.
Carol Stulberg: Were you ever in the gas chamber? Did you see the gas chamber?
Morris Venezia: Of course I was every day over there.
Carol Stulberg: Can you describe to us what it looked like?
Morris Venezia: It’s nothing to describe

flimflam

Postby flimflam » 3 months 2 weeks ago (Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 am)

My kid's history textbook - Traditions and Encounters - "Over a million students at thousands of schools have learned about world history with the best selling book for the course, "Traditions and Encounters: A Global Perspective on the Past." contains:
#1 - a fullpage version of the 'surrealist image' below, on the next page the writeup - 'The Birth of a Monster'

#2 - propaganda poster - "a caricature of the threat emanating from a warmongering by Germany"

#3 - propaganda poster - "outrage at the German invasion of Belgium"

flimflam

Postby flimflam » 3 months 2 weeks ago (Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 pm)

The same text - Traditions and Encounters - on the subject of the hoax ....

The Nazis dispatched 3000 troops in mobile detachments known as SS Einsatzgruppen to kill entire populations of Jews and Roma (or Gypsies) and many non-Jewish Slavs in the newly occupied territories. The action squads undertook mass shootings in ditches and ravines that became mass graves.

At the Wannsee conference on 20 January 1942 fifteen leading Nazi bureaucrats gathered to discuss and and coordinate the implementation of the final solution. They agreed to evacuate all the Jews from Europe to camps in eastern Poland, where they would be worked to death or exterminated.

In camps such as Kulmhof (Chelmo), Belzec, Treblinka, Sobibor, Majdanek and Auschwitz, the final solution took on an organized and technically sophisticated character. Here the killers introduced gassing as the most efficient means for mass extermation, although other means of destruction were always retained, such as electrocution, phenol injections, flame throwers, hand grenades, and machine guns.

The German commandant of Auschwitz explained proudly how his camp became the most efficient in killing Jews by using the fast-acting crystallized prussic acid known as Zyklon-B, by enlarging the size of the gas chambers, and by lulling the victims to thinking they were going to a delousing process.

For most of the victims the will to resist was sapped by prolonged starvation, disease, and mistreatment. Nevertheless, there was fierce Jewish resistance throughout the war.

Sannhet
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Sannhet » 3 months 5 days ago (Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm)

TimeTraveler wrote:Every single ww2 movie that shows the European Theater is nothing but the whole "evil nazi" and "holocaust" stuff. The only ones that I've seen that don't get into really anything like that is "A woman in Berlin" "White Tiger" and "My Honor was loyalty" but that's about it.

I haven't heard of those. There must be hundreds of major movies made about "WWII" (either directly, or with it as a background) in the past seventy-five years in the United States alone, perhaps thousands in all countries combined.

I have seen but a tiny fraction of these thousands, maybe 1% or less.

The only movie I can now recall that was set in the European theater and is not "Evil Nazi" and "Holocaust" oriented is Cross of Iron, directed by Sam Peckinpah (1925-1984).

From Wiki:
Peckinpah was offered the opportunity to direct the eventual blockbusters King Kong (1976) and Superman (1978). He turned down both offers and chose instead the bleak and vivid World War II drama Cross of Iron (1977). The screenplay was based on a novel about a platoon of German soldiers in 1943 on the verge of utter collapse on the Taman Peninsula on the Eastern Front. The German production was filmed in Yugoslavia.
The film treats the German solder fairly; in fact, the entire film is seen through the eyes of this German platoon. It is as fair a treatment as I have ever seen, though by no means pro-"Nazi." I would say that it is "politically" neutral, which is one of its strengths. The dreary politics and moralizing of most WWII films in which any Germans are portrayed -- a source of artistic weakness).

Two other tidbits:
Orson Welles, when he saw the film, cabled Peckinpah, praising the latter's film as "the best war film he had seen about the ordinary enlisted man since All Quiet on the Western Front."
Cross of Iron performed very well in Germany, earning the best box-office takings of any film released there since The Sound of Music and audiences and critics across Europe responded well to the film.
Cross of Iron was filmed in 1976. This was a low-point for Jewish atrocity stories; and was just on the cusp of the flood of Holocaust propaganda that began in the late 1970s. It was then, CODOH-Forumers will well know, that the holocaust experienced by the Jews in WWII gained its "Big H" to become the Holocaust; this coincided with the television special that Carto's Cutlass Supreme mentions, the capitalization of Holocaust in general use was probably caused by that mini-series.

I doubt Pekinpah could have made the same film ten years later. Maybe with substantial revision as demanded by Holocaust-enforcement people, but perhaps not at all. Telling a quasi-sympathetic story from the p.o.v. of Germans, without mentioning the gas chambers? Never!

TimeTraveler

Postby TimeTraveler » 3 months 5 days ago (Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 am)

Sannhet wrote:
TimeTraveler wrote:Every single ww2 movie that shows the European Theater is nothing but the whole "evil nazi" and "holocaust" stuff. The only ones that I've seen that don't get into really anything like that is "A woman in Berlin" "White Tiger" and "My Honor was loyalty" but that's about it.

I haven't heard of those. There must be hundreds of major movies made about "WWII" (either directly, or with it as a background) in the past seventy-five years in the United States alone, perhaps thousands in all countries combined.

I have seen but a tiny fraction of these thousands, maybe 1% or less.

The only movie I can now recall that was set in the European theater and is not "Evil Nazi" and "Holocaust" oriented is Cross of Iron, directed by Sam Peckinpah (1925-1984).

From Wiki:
Peckinpah was offered the opportunity to direct the eventual blockbusters King Kong (1976) and Superman (1978). He turned down both offers and chose instead the bleak and vivid World War II drama Cross of Iron (1977). The screenplay was based on a novel about a platoon of German soldiers in 1943 on the verge of utter collapse on the Taman Peninsula on the Eastern Front. The German production was filmed in Yugoslavia.
The film treats the German solder fairly; in fact, the entire film is seen through the eyes of this German platoon. It is as fair a treatment as I have ever seen, though by no means pro-"Nazi." I would say that it is "politically" neutral, which is one of its strengths. The dreary politics and moralizing of most WWII films in which any Germans are portrayed -- a source of artistic weakness).

Two other tidbits:
Orson Welles, when he saw the film, cabled Peckinpah, praising the latter's film as "the best war film he had seen about the ordinary enlisted man since All Quiet on the Western Front."
Cross of Iron performed very well in Germany, earning the best box-office takings of any film released there since The Sound of Music and audiences and critics across Europe responded well to the film.
Cross of Iron was filmed in 1976. This was a low-point for Jewish atrocity stories; and was just on the cusp of the flood of Holocaust propaganda that began in the late 1970s. It was then, CODOH-Forumers will well know, that the holocaust experienced by the Jews in WWII gained its "Big H" to become the Holocaust; this coincided with the television special that Carto's Cutlass Supreme mentions, the capitalization of Holocaust in general use was probably caused by that mini-series.

I doubt Pekinpah could have made the same film ten years later. Maybe with substantial revision as demanded by Holocaust-enforcement people, but perhaps not at all. Telling a quasi-sympathetic story from the p.o.v. of Germans, without mentioning the gas chambers? Never!

Also a movie I forgot to mention is "Katyn" which is obviously about the Katyn massacre. It didn't have any anti German propaganda in it that I noticed. I also like the movies "The Eternal Zero" and "Letters from Iwo Jima" they are Japanese films which doesn't go along with this topic but I just mention them to.

Yeah, I've noticed that ww2 movies before the eighties didn't have to much anti German propaganda. Back then they showed a more goofy German solder then a evil Jew hating murderer like what is shown today.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”