IHR billboard goes up in San Francisco Metro stations

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Sannhet
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

IHR billboard goes up in San Francisco Metro stations

Postby Sannhet » 1 week 3 days ago (Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:57 pm)

The IHR has gotten a few neutral-sounding (paid) posters up in advertisement-space on the San Francisco subway.

I don't now recall many of the details of the decline of the IHR, but the short version is that following great success its first fifteen years (late 1970s to early 1990s), something went wrong in about the mid 1990s, then a period of stasis and decline, and now by the 2010s it appears IHR has effectively become a Holocaust Believer outfit. Does it actually publish any revisionist material more?

Mark Weber (who has done some great work in his career and has my respect in many ways), of course, now insists he believes in the Holocaust. I don't know his personal motivation for his turn towards the warm embrace of the powerful, well-oiled Holocaust Machine, though many can be imagined. One possibility is he believes H-neutrality, or assertion of passive H-belief will allow his IHR to avoid marginalization, avoid bans on hate speech. That the San Francisco metro authority allowed the bland billboard (see below) might lead him to believe that H-kowtowing pays off after all... (Actually, it does pay off, of course; all the same, I don't think the Holocaust will ever forgive the IHR, though).

IHR Billboard Goes Up in San Francisco Metro Stations

Institute’s Public Service Notice Proclaims 'History Matters!'

News from Institute for Historical Review
September 3, 2018

An unusual public service billboard by the Institute for Historical Review has just gone up at two San Francisco metro stations. After drawn out discussion, the Bay Area Rapid Transit Authority (BART) accepted the digital display board, which proclaims “History Matters!” It’s scheduled to be up from Sept. 3, Labor Day, through Sept. 30 at the Powell Street and Montgomery Street stations.

IHR History Matters 2018.png
IHR History Matters 2018.png (122.54 KiB) Viewed 190 times

In spite of its unobjectionable message, the board could generate controversy, given that the IHR has been labeled a “hate group” by the leftist Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), and is similarly denounced by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and other influential Zionist organizations.

The “History Matters!” message is very much in keeping with the Institute’s work and purpose, says IHR director Mark Weber. It’s especially relevant now, he adds, because “President Trump, together with prominent politicians of both major parties, seem to have learned nothing from the record of failed US military interventions over the past half century.”

“Only by learning from the mistakes of the past,” says Weber, “can Americans chart a sane, just and progressive path for the future.” [....]

[T]he IHR opposes bigotry of all kinds. The Institute is proud of the support it’s earned from people of the most diverse political views, and racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds. The IHR does not “deny” the Holocaust. [....]
The press release says nothing more on the Holocaust other than "the IHR does not deny" it happened.

As for the message of the (paid) billboard in general: What is "History Matters!" supposed to mean, actually? What message is it giving to people? Who is the target audience? It seems like the kind of poster that would be on the wall of a middle school classroom; a bland encouragement to students to care about the subject they are studying.

The same billboard was not allowed when IHR tried to buy ad space in the Washington, D.C. subway system last year, as recounted by IHR here.

JLAD Prove Me Wrong

Re: IHR billboard goes up in San Francisco Metro stations

Postby JLAD Prove Me Wrong » 1 week 3 days ago (Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:35 am)

Sannhet wrote:Mark Weber (who has done some great work in his career and has my respect in many ways), of course, now insists he believes in the Holocaust. I don't know his personal motivation for his turn towards the warm embrace of the powerful, well-oiled Holocaust Machine, though many can be imagined. One possibility is he believes H-neutrality, or assertion of passive H-belief will allow his IHR to avoid marginalization, avoid bans on hate speech. That the San Francisco metro authority allowed the bland billboard (see below) might lead him to believe that H-kowtowing pays off after all... (Actually, it does pay off, of course; all the same, I don't think the Holocaust will ever forgive the IHR, though).

I reuploaded his 1995 debate with Michael Shermer.

It's interesting that at the 6:19 mark, Weber states,

Revisionists do not, as our critics like to claim, "deny the Holocaust". There's no disputing the fact that of Jews in Europe did indeed suffer a terrible catastrophe during the second world war.

He then explains that while Jews did suffer during WWII, he states that he believes,

1. There was no Germen plan to exterminate Jews

2. Mass shootings and gas chambers are mythical

3. The 6 million figure is "an irresponsible exaggeration."

So obviously, even back then, he's trying to beat around the bush about being labeled as a holocaust denier.

It's an interesting debate, but he, like many great figures in the revisionist movement, has backed down due to pressure (one can only guess who pressured him to change his position.)
If your beliefs cannot stand up to your own sincere scrutiny and skeptical evaluation, they are not worth having.

Sannhet
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: IHR billboard goes up in San Francisco Metro stations

Postby Sannhet » 1 week 3 days ago (Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:02 pm)

JLAD Prove Me Wrong wrote:I reuploaded his 1995 debate with Michael Shermer.

Thanks. I see that Greg Raven introduces the debate:

Greg Raven 1995.png
Greg Raven 1995.png (669.73 KiB) Viewed 111 times

Does anyone know where he is today?
Greg Raven

Born in 1953, he has lived most of his life in southern California. Since he began making his living as a writer in the late 1970s, he has turned out sales materials, radio plays, stand-up comedy, numerous magazine articles, computer documentation manuals, reviews, and two books. Between 1992 and 2002 he worked for the Institute for Historical Review and was associate editor of the now defunct Journal of Historical Review.
The latest thing I can find from Greg Raven in the CODOH archive is "David McCalden Most Macabre Halloween Holocaust Tale Challenge," dated 2005. And then a brief introduction to the 200th issue (2013) of the Smith Report, the monthly newsletter of Bradley Smith (1930-2016, R.I.P.).

He signs his name in the introduction to this late Smith Report as follows:

Greg Raven – The Holocaust Historiography Project

(from here)

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”