British part-work History of the Second World War - info needed.

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

British part-work History of the Second World War - info needed.

Postby borjastick » 3 weeks 3 days ago (Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:40 am)

I was clearing out my dad's house last week and came across this set of books called History of the Second World War. He had seven volumes but in fact there were 8 in the set I think, as he has number 8 but is missing one of the earlier volumes.

The type face and cover design suggest that it was an accompaniment to the TV series World at War which aired in about 1973, though it could have been a separate non-connected publication altogether. Can anyone shed any light on the date of this part work and other basic info such as how many volumes and publisher's name?

It is very detailed covering all aspects of the war and with many unseen pictures, at least I had not seen many of them.

The content on the holocaust is interesting and perhaps helps us date the series to early 70s as there is very little detail and great sweeping statements of atrocities with the usual lack of evidence. I will be scanning some of these sections and posting them here in the coming days. One of the statement is a claim that 10 people died in the holocaust.
002.JPG
002.JPG (445.76 KiB) Viewed 225 times

'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

Horhug

Re: British part-work History of the Second World War - info needed.

Postby Horhug » 2 weeks 10 hours ago (Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 pm)

Amazon UK has a full set on sale here :

Purnell's History of the Second World War - Vol's 1-8 (Complete Partwork 8 Volume Set)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purnells-Histo ... B003UMUVG8

Purnell's published a variety of weekly / monthly periodicals which combined to form various Purnell's Encyclopedias.

Published in 1975 according to the Amazon listing.

borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby borjastick » 2 weeks 1 hour ago (Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:13 am)

Horhug wrote:Amazon UK has a full set on sale here :

Purnell's History of the Second World War - Vol's 1-8 (Complete Partwork 8 Volume Set)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purnells-Histo ... B003UMUVG8

Purnell's published a variety of weekly / monthly periodicals which combined to form various Purnell's Encyclopedias.

Published in 1975 according to the Amazon listing.

Very good, thanks Mr Horhug you've cracked it! I am about to do my post on the holocaust contents in one of the part works.
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 1 week 6 days ago (Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 pm)

Try to get something on homicidal gas chambers and what evidence they present or what they are telling the reader about it all. Also, whether they mention typhus and the prevention measures against that disease.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”