Anglican Priest Rod Bower Succumbs to Jewish Pressure Over Refugee Comments

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
JLAD Prove Me Wrong
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Anglican Priest Rod Bower Succumbs to Jewish Pressure Over Refugee Comments

Postby JLAD Prove Me Wrong » 2 months 2 weeks ago (Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:45 pm)

According to https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/n ... bac4167530

After speaking with Jewish leaders, Anglican priest Rod Bower has apologised for “offensive” ­remarks in which he suggested offshore processing of asylum-seekers was the first step on the way to the Holocaust.

The Gosford Anglican Church rector erected a sign at the end of last year with the message “Manus is how the Holocaust started”, which drew ire from moderate and conser­vative Jewish groups. After discussions with community leaders, including NSW Jewish Board of Deputies chief executive Vic Alhadeff, Father Bower said in a statement: “Several days ago, I attempted to ­explore something of the sociological phenomenon of ‘otherising’ and dehumanisation I have observed in the way Australia has dealt with asylum-seekers.

“In so doing, I mentioned the Holocaust and some sections of the Jewish community found this deeply offensive. I acknowledge my attempt to explore this issue was clumsy and I am sorry for the offence caused.”

Mr Alhadeff said he was pleased at the outcome.

To be clear, he is comparing questionable treatment of Manus refugees to how Jews were treated around the beginning of the war.

Of course, nothing can ever be compared to their holy cow of the 'holocaust', and Jewish groups took offense.

And he bowed to their pressure. He certainly is a bashful person.
If your beliefs cannot stand up to your own sincere scrutiny and skeptical evaluation, they are not worth having.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”