Lamprecht wrote:- If these people were shot that means there are bullets there. These bullets could be analyzed and we could figure out who probably killed them. Germans made their own bullets, Soviets made their own bullets.
- the bullet to the back of the head is the same execution style used by the USSR at Katyn, although to be fair it seems to be common elsewhere in executions.
-DNA tests can be performed to determine the ethnicity of these people, of course. To be fair, Jews were apparently 40% or so of the population of Brest.
- There may have been anti-Jewish pogroms by the locals in this region; Just before the outbreak of World War II, there was an anti-Jewish riot at the bazaar in Brest on May 15, 1939.
- The NKVD/Checka was active in the area before the Germans took it over.
- The original article points out that there were victims also in the 1st World War (see below translation, bold/underline) - so how do they know for sure this was the Germans in WWII?
Indeed another case of jumping onto conclusions. And possibly projecting something on those that can not talk back anymore.
We must be careful not to fall into the same trap.
1. The USSR/Stalin's henchmen also used German bullets. I recall that the Katyn bullets were supposedly of German origin.
2. Yes neck-shots were the killing method of choice. Not exclusive Soviet style, though. The German method of execution seems to be to the front of those to be executed. And for partisan/helpers it was also hanging. What could be interesting would be to see what causes of death had been determined. And what the chronological events in the area were during that time. Was there bombing, artillery, other violence or diseases during that time?
3. DNA may not always discriminate strong enough. But it could be a start.
4. Age-dating methods should also be applied. And yes, during riots people would probably be beaten with blunt instruments which should reflect on bones.
5. Soviet/NKVD/Checka activities should also be investigated.
6. And my guess is that there was some killing after "Liberation", too. Suspected Anti-Communists would have been free game, ethnic Germans, Ukrainians, Poles etc.