How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
sfivdf21
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am

How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby sfivdf21 » 1 week 5 days ago (Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:13 am)

When the Bolsheviks and the Western Allies liberated Auschwitz and the other German concentration camps and they started to show the images and footages of alleged "Nazi atrocities" in the KZs and it began to spread, Adolf Hitler and the other Nationalsocialist leaders who committed suicide at the end of the war or that they were killed shortly after the war and therefore did not testify at Nuremberg Show Trial (like Joseph Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler or Martin Bormann) were still alive. How did they react to this (I am especially interested in how the Führer reacted to the news of the mountains of corpses in Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Majdanek, etc. which were shown as "evidence" of the alleged "Nazi atrocities")?

User avatar
Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby Lamprecht » 1 week 5 days ago (Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am)

From: viewtopic.php?t=13264
Revision wrote:David Irving says in Hitler's War (p. 754):
http://www.fpp.co.uk/books/Hitler/2001/HW_Web_dl.pdf

"At the war conference later that day Press Chief Otto Dietrich showed Hitler an English newspaper which reported a claim by Moscow that 1,500,000 people had been liquidated in a concentration camp at Majdanek, which the Red Army had overrun, near Lublin; by way of evidence, there was a photograph of neat stacks of combs. A hush fell on the war conference. Hitler angrily laid the newspaper aside: ‘That’s the "hacked-off hands" again – pure enemy propaganda!’ (He told Sonnleitner after the conference that Allied propaganda had claimed in 1914 that German troops marching into Belgium had cut off babies’ hands and hung the children upside down in church bells as clappers.)"


Also, from: viewtopic.php?t=13110

Image

Someone posted it before but I cannot find it. If memory serves me, it was regarding Hitler's response after hearing that Auschwitz was taken over. He was concerned about how this would impact the availability of a certain resource for the war effort, not about evidence of supposed homicidal gas chambers or whatnot.

There is also: viewtopic.php?t=12287
- Hans Frank, Hitler's personal lawyer & Governor-General of the occupied Polish territories:
On 7 February 1944 I succeeded in being received by Adolf Hitler personally--I might add that throughout the war he received me three times only. In the presence of Bormann I put the question to him: "My Fuhrer, rumors about the extermination of the Jews will not be silenced. They are heard everywhere. No one is allowed in anywhere. Once I paid a surprise visit to Auschwitz in order to see the camp, but I was told that there was an epidemic in the camp and my car was diverted before I got there. Tell me, My Fuhrer, is there anything in it?" The Fuhrer said, "You can very well imagine that there are executions going on of insurgents. Apart from that I do not know anything. Why don't you speak to Heinrich Himmler about it?" And I said, "Well, Himmler made a speech to us in Krakow and declared in front of all the people whom I had officially called to the meeting that these rumors about the systematic extermination of the Jews were false; the Jews were merely being brought to the East." Thereupon the Fuhrer said, "Then you must believe that."
http://archive.fo/2lY9 or http://web.archive.org/web/200902271448 ... -18-46.asp
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
— Herbert Spencer

User avatar
Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby Lamprecht » 1 week 5 days ago (Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:04 am)

Nevermind, I found it in the last thread I linked:
Lamprecht wrote:During his final statement at his 2000 trial against Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt, David Irving advised Hitler's reaction to the news that the Red Army had captured Auschwitz, as recorded by the stenographers.
"Informed by Colonel-General Heinz Guderian that the Russians had captured Auschwitz, Hitler is recorded by the stenographers as merely acknowledging: "Yes." ("Jawohl") The Court might find it significant that he did not prick up his ears and say something like, "Herr Himmler, I hope you made sure that the Russians will find not the slightest trace of what we have been up to." (Or even, "I hope you managed to get those holes in the roof slab of Krema II cemented over so there's no trace, before you blew it up."
https://archive.is/DrenA

On his website he gives more details:
"... on January 27, 1945 when Generaloberst Heinz Guderian informs him that the Red Army has just overrun Auschwitz, Hitler's only reply is just: okay, "Jawohl" -- he seems to have no idea that Auschwitz was anything other than a slave-labour camp built for the nearby synthetic chemicals plant. Informed by the general in these words, "The attacks along a continuous line from the Tichau area to Auschwitz have been deflected; however Auschwitz itself was lost," Hitler finally interrupts to ask only, "Where is the main coal area?"

All the stenographers, closely questioned by the Americans, stated quite bluntly that there was never any reference at all at the Führer-HQ to what is now, since about 1972, called the Holocaust. https://archive.is/nbQ4t

What should be noted that Irving's defence in his libel trial was not "the Holocaust did not happen" but "Hitler did not know about it"
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
— Herbert Spencer

User avatar
HMSendeavour
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm
Contact:

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby HMSendeavour » 1 week 5 days ago (Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm)

There's also a fairly interesting Stormfront thread you can comb through for sources.

Himmler find out about the gas chambers
https://tinyurl.com/yxcxva8b

Himmler, after the war spoke explicitly to the fact that he and by extension the National Socialist state was being accused of having killed Jews in camps:

In order to stop the epidemic, we were forced to cremate the bodies of the many people that died of the disease. That was the reason we had to build the crematoria, and now, because of this everybody wants to tighten the noose around our neck.

Heinrich Himmler,
April 20/21, 1945


Norbert Masuer, My Meeting With Heinrich Himmler, Report to the Swedish Section of the World Jewish Congress. Stockholm Sweden. See: https://tinyurl.com/yyta9kzh


Hanna Reitsch relayed a story of regarding a confrontation with Himmler about alleged gas chambers in 1944:

In October, 1944, my old flying comrade, Peter Riedel, who was now in the German Embassy in Stockholm, called on me at the Flying Club in Berlin. In a state of considerable agitation, he threw a booklet down on the table:

“If you want to know what’s going on in Germany, look at this! This is what we find on our desks in the Embassy!”

I glanced through the booklet, which concerned the gas-chambers. I was beside myself:

“And you believe this?” I asked, furious. “In the First World War, enemy propaganda smeared the German soldier with every imaginable barbarity - now it has come to gas-chambers!”

My emotion strongly impressed my friend.

“I’ll believe that from you,” he said, but asked me to inform Himmler about it immediately.

I telephoned Himmler, obtaining permission to visit him at his headquarters in the field. Arrived there, I placed the booklet before him.

“What do you say to this, Reichsführer?”

Himmler picked it up and flicked over the pages. Then, without change of expression, he looked up, eyeing me quietly:

“And you believe this, Frau Hanna?”

“No, of course not. But you must do something to counter it. You can’t let them shoulder this onto Germany.’

Himmler laid the booklet on the table, then looked at me once more:

“You are right,” he said.

Hanna Reitsch, The Sky My Kingdom: Memoirs of the Famous German World War II Test Pilot (Casemate, 2009), Chapter 27.


I wonder if this "book" Hanna gave to Himmler, was the one devised by the Communists, the 'The Black Book of Soviet Jewry' written by Iilya Ehrenburg and Vasily Grossman. The former being referred to as a "writer" through a google search, and not the famous Soviet propagandist that he was. Typical trickery. The latter, Grossman, enjoyed a famous literary career for his self serving Soviet fiction about various battles in the Second World War. Certainly tells you where the loyalties and trust of the West lie.

This work of Soviet fiction was also published in late 1944.

Hermann Göring claimed to have only heard about the entire thing once at Nuremberg:

"The first time I learned of these terrible exterminations," Goering explaimed at one point, "was right here in Nuremberg."

William L. Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (Fawcett Publications, Crest Books Paperback, 1962), Pp. 1256


Other than this, and what Lamprecht has already posted I am not aware of any other reactions to the alleged Holocaust by top officials in the Third Reich.
Now what does it mean for the independent expert witness Van Pelt? In his eyes he had two possibilities. Either to confirm the Holocaust story, or to go insane. - Germar Rudolf, 13th IHR Conference

User avatar
Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby Lamprecht » 1 week 5 days ago (Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:16 pm)

HMS:
Hermann Göring claimed to have only heard about the entire thing once at Nuremberg:

Yep, a lot of them made the same claim, or outright called the orders impossible. But OP was asking specifically about Hitler. Many examples of the statements of other 3rd Reich leaders were compiled here: viewtopic.php?t=12287

I think Hitler was just trying to win the war. He clearly didn't believe in the atrocity propaganda pushed by the Allies; he was in WWI and was quite aware of the tactics used back then which had already been exposed as nonsense.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
— Herbert Spencer

User avatar
Archie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 am

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby Archie » 1 week 5 days ago (Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:18 pm)

Lamprecht wrote:Nevermind, I found it in the last thread I linked:
Lamprecht wrote:During his final statement at his 2000 trial against Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt, David Irving advised Hitler's reaction to the news that the Red Army had captured Auschwitz, as recorded by the stenographers.
"Informed by Colonel-General Heinz Guderian that the Russians had captured Auschwitz, Hitler is recorded by the stenographers as merely acknowledging: "Yes." ("Jawohl") The Court might find it significant that he did not prick up his ears and say something like, "Herr Himmler, I hope you made sure that the Russians will find not the slightest trace of what we have been up to." (Or even, "I hope you managed to get those holes in the roof slab of Krema II cemented over so there's no trace, before you blew it up."
https://archive.is/DrenA

On his website he gives more details:
"... on January 27, 1945 when Generaloberst Heinz Guderian informs him that the Red Army has just overrun Auschwitz, Hitler's only reply is just: okay, "Jawohl" -- he seems to have no idea that Auschwitz was anything other than a slave-labour camp built for the nearby synthetic chemicals plant. Informed by the general in these words, "The attacks along a continuous line from the Tichau area to Auschwitz have been deflected; however Auschwitz itself was lost," Hitler finally interrupts to ask only, "Where is the main coal area?"

All the stenographers, closely questioned by the Americans, stated quite bluntly that there was never any reference at all at the Führer-HQ to what is now, since about 1972, called the Holocaust. https://archive.is/nbQ4t

What should be noted that Irving's defence in his libel trial was not "the Holocaust did not happen" but "Hitler did not know about it"


I've heard Irving mention this in his recorded speeches. And he says pretty much the same thing in Hitler's War although without any detail.

Russian tanks were now rolling into Upper Silesia – the industrial province to which Hitler had evacuated his most precious war factories. Auschwitz and its essential rubber factory were overrun. The conference record shows that Hitler, told of the loss of Auschwitz, merely registered the fact. Posen was encircled and on January 27 the long, hard fight for possession of the city began; it would end only one month later with the death of its commandant and surrender to the Russians after they had threatened to massacre the injured Germans in their hands.

https://www.unz.com/book/david_irving__hitlers-war/#p_63_17

sfivdf21
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby sfivdf21 » 1 day 16 hours ago (Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:27 am)

Lamprecht wrote:From: viewtopic.php?t=13264
Revision wrote:David Irving says in Hitler's War (p. 754):
http://www.fpp.co.uk/books/Hitler/2001/HW_Web_dl.pdf

"At the war conference later that day Press Chief Otto Dietrich showed Hitler an English newspaper which reported a claim by Moscow that 1,500,000 people had been liquidated in a concentration camp at Majdanek, which the Red Army had overrun, near Lublin; by way of evidence, there was a photograph of neat stacks of combs. A hush fell on the war conference. Hitler angrily laid the newspaper aside: ‘That’s the "hacked-off hands" again – pure enemy propaganda!’ (He told Sonnleitner after the conference that Allied propaganda had claimed in 1914 that German troops marching into Belgium had cut off babies’ hands and hung the children upside down in church bells as clappers.)"


Also, from: viewtopic.php?t=13110

Image

Someone posted it before but I cannot find it. If memory serves me, it was regarding Hitler's response after hearing that Auschwitz was taken over. He was concerned about how this would impact the availability of a certain resource for the war effort, not about evidence of supposed homicidal gas chambers or whatnot.

There is also: viewtopic.php?t=12287
- Hans Frank, Hitler's personal lawyer & Governor-General of the occupied Polish territories:
On 7 February 1944 I succeeded in being received by Adolf Hitler personally--I might add that throughout the war he received me three times only. In the presence of Bormann I put the question to him: "My Fuhrer, rumors about the extermination of the Jews will not be silenced. They are heard everywhere. No one is allowed in anywhere. Once I paid a surprise visit to Auschwitz in order to see the camp, but I was told that there was an epidemic in the camp and my car was diverted before I got there. Tell me, My Fuhrer, is there anything in it?" The Fuhrer said, "You can very well imagine that there are executions going on of insurgents. Apart from that I do not know anything. Why don't you speak to Heinrich Himmler about it?" And I said, "Well, Himmler made a speech to us in Krakow and declared in front of all the people whom I had officially called to the meeting that these rumors about the systematic extermination of the Jews were false; the Jews were merely being brought to the East." Thereupon the Fuhrer said, "Then you must believe that."
http://archive.fo/2lY9 or http://web.archive.org/web/200902271448 ... -18-46.asp


Hello Lamprecht, thank you for your reply and information and I apologize for taking so long to respond. It is evident that Adolf Hitler knew perfectly well that all the anti-German atrocity propaganda that the Jews, the Western Allies and the Soviets invented was a lie, but I was very surprised by his reaction to when Auschwitz was taken over by the Red Army. When the Bolsheviks liberated Auschwitz (as also happened when the rest of the German KZs were taken) many footages and images of the piled-up corpses of the prisoners and the skeletic bodies of many living prisoners but sick of typhus were already begun to be disseminated as "evidence" of "Nazi atrocities" and apparently the Führer did not give much importance to this fact, worrying only about the coal area of the camp. This contrasts sharply with his reaction when he was informed of the propaganda that the Bolsheviks spread when they took Majdanek in July 1944, as can be seen, Hitler was very outraged by the anti-Germany atrocity propaganda around Majdanek, comparing it with the anti-German atrocity propaganda of the World War One. But even though the atrocity propaganda about Auschwitz was even bigger than Majdanek's, Hitler didn't seem to care. It is a great contradiction, did Hitler really make no effort to debunk the anti-German atrocity propaganda about Auschwitz after it was taken over by the Soviets on January 27, 1945? He had almost four months to do it.
PS: It has also come to my attention that the person who informed Hitler that the Soviets took Auschwitz was Wehrmacht's General Heinz Guderian, that indicates that Guderian had access to confidential information about Auschwitz. He survived the war and was not executed in a Allied Show Trial or died in prison and he was actually able to write his memoirs, unfortunately I have not been able to find it, so just in case that you know it I ask: What are Guderian's post-war views on the "Holocaust"? How is Hitler portrayed in Guderian's memoirs? Thanks in advance.

sfivdf21
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby sfivdf21 » 1 day 16 hours ago (Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am)

Lamprecht wrote:Nevermind, I found it in the last thread I linked:
Lamprecht wrote:During his final statement at his 2000 trial against Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt, David Irving advised Hitler's reaction to the news that the Red Army had captured Auschwitz, as recorded by the stenographers.
"Informed by Colonel-General Heinz Guderian that the Russians had captured Auschwitz, Hitler is recorded by the stenographers as merely acknowledging: "Yes." ("Jawohl") The Court might find it significant that he did not prick up his ears and say something like, "Herr Himmler, I hope you made sure that the Russians will find not the slightest trace of what we have been up to." (Or even, "I hope you managed to get those holes in the roof slab of Krema II cemented over so there's no trace, before you blew it up."
https://archive.is/DrenA

On his website he gives more details:
"... on January 27, 1945 when Generaloberst Heinz Guderian informs him that the Red Army has just overrun Auschwitz, Hitler's only reply is just: okay, "Jawohl" -- he seems to have no idea that Auschwitz was anything other than a slave-labour camp built for the nearby synthetic chemicals plant. Informed by the general in these words, "The attacks along a continuous line from the Tichau area to Auschwitz have been deflected; however Auschwitz itself was lost," Hitler finally interrupts to ask only, "Where is the main coal area?"

All the stenographers, closely questioned by the Americans, stated quite bluntly that there was never any reference at all at the Führer-HQ to what is now, since about 1972, called the Holocaust. https://archive.is/nbQ4t

What should be noted that Irving's defence in his libel trial was not "the Holocaust did not happen" but "Hitler did not know about it"


I know that David Irving (despite being a great historian) is a bit hesitant and ambivalent about this matter (I don't know whether to consider him a Holocaust revisionist) whose thesis about the "6 Million" Myth is that the "Holocaust" (albeit so exaggerated) would have happened but without it. knowledge and approval of Adolf Hitler. Whereupon, according Irving, Hitler is innocent and he is not a criminal and a warmonger, but the "Holocaust" is in great part real. Irving has me quite confused.

sfivdf21
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby sfivdf21 » 1 day 15 hours ago (Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:15 pm)

HMSendeavour wrote:There's also a fairly interesting Stormfront thread you can comb through for sources.

Himmler find out about the gas chambers
https://tinyurl.com/yxcxva8b

Himmler, after the war spoke explicitly to the fact that he and by extension the National Socialist state was being accused of having killed Jews in camps:

In order to stop the epidemic, we were forced to cremate the bodies of the many people that died of the disease. That was the reason we had to build the crematoria, and now, because of this everybody wants to tighten the noose around our neck.

Heinrich Himmler,
April 20/21, 1945


Norbert Masuer, My Meeting With Heinrich Himmler, Report to the Swedish Section of the World Jewish Congress. Stockholm Sweden. See: https://tinyurl.com/yyta9kzh


Hanna Reitsch relayed a story of regarding a confrontation with Himmler about alleged gas chambers in 1944:

In October, 1944, my old flying comrade, Peter Riedel, who was now in the German Embassy in Stockholm, called on me at the Flying Club in Berlin. In a state of considerable agitation, he threw a booklet down on the table:

“If you want to know what’s going on in Germany, look at this! This is what we find on our desks in the Embassy!”

I glanced through the booklet, which concerned the gas-chambers. I was beside myself:

“And you believe this?” I asked, furious. “In the First World War, enemy propaganda smeared the German soldier with every imaginable barbarity - now it has come to gas-chambers!”

My emotion strongly impressed my friend.

“I’ll believe that from you,” he said, but asked me to inform Himmler about it immediately.

I telephoned Himmler, obtaining permission to visit him at his headquarters in the field. Arrived there, I placed the booklet before him.

“What do you say to this, Reichsführer?”

Himmler picked it up and flicked over the pages. Then, without change of expression, he looked up, eyeing me quietly:

“And you believe this, Frau Hanna?”

“No, of course not. But you must do something to counter it. You can’t let them shoulder this onto Germany.’

Himmler laid the booklet on the table, then looked at me once more:

“You are right,” he said.

Hanna Reitsch, The Sky My Kingdom: Memoirs of the Famous German World War II Test Pilot (Casemate, 2009), Chapter 27.


I wonder if this "book" Hanna gave to Himmler, was the one devised by the Communists, the 'The Black Book of Soviet Jewry' written by Iilya Ehrenburg and Vasily Grossman. The former being referred to as a "writer" through a google search, and not the famous Soviet propagandist that he was. Typical trickery. The latter, Grossman, enjoyed a famous literary career for his self serving Soviet fiction about various battles in the Second World War. Certainly tells you where the loyalties and trust of the West lie.

This work of Soviet fiction was also published in late 1944.

Hermann Göring claimed to have only heard about the entire thing once at Nuremberg:

"The first time I learned of these terrible exterminations," Goering explaimed at one point, "was right here in Nuremberg."

William L. Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (Fawcett Publications, Crest Books Paperback, 1962), Pp. 1256


Other than this, and what Lamprecht has already posted I am not aware of any other reactions to the alleged Holocaust by top officials in the Third Reich.


Hello HMSendeavour, thanks for your reply and information and I apologize for taking so long to respond. I have already read your information, much of it (Hanna Reitsch's statements or those of many Nationalsocialist leaders at Nüremberg Show Trials) I already knew, but Hitler's statements about Auschwitz not. As I have told user Lamprecht, it is evident that Adolf Hitler knew that all the anti-German atrocity propaganda that the Jews, the Western Allies and the Bolsheviks spreaded (especially the one about the concentration camps) was a grotesque lie, but there were two things that surprised me very much. The first is the contrast in Hitler's reactions when he heard about the anti-German atrocity propaganda that the Soviets spreaded about Majdanek when they liberated that KZ in July 1944 (then he was very outraged and compared this propaganda with the anti-German atrocity propaganda of the WWI) and when he was informed that the Soviets took Auschwitz, that he was only concerned about the situation in the coal area of the KZ. That is a great contradiction, which I find very strange in Hitler, who was always a very coherent and consequent man. And the second thing is that the person who informed him that the Red Army took Auschwitz was not a SS-Totenkopfverbände Officer (the branch of the SS that was in charge of the custody of the KZ) but Heinz Guderian (a Wehrmacht General, and as we know the Wehrmacht had nothing to do with the concentration camps issue), this indicates that Guderian had access to confidential information about Auschwitz. It is important to remember that Guderian was not murdered in a Allied Show Trial or died jailed, Guderian was released and once free he wrote his war memoirs, which I have not been able to find. In case you've read them: Do you know what are Guderian's postwar views on the Holocaust issue and how he portrayed Hitler in his memoirs? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby Lamprecht » 1 day 13 hours ago (Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:54 pm)

sfivdf21 wrote:I know that David Irving (despite being a great historian) is a bit hesitant and ambivalent about this matter (I don't know whether to consider him a Holocaust revisionist) whose thesis about the "6 Million" Myth is that the "Holocaust" (albeit so exaggerated) would have happened but without it. knowledge and approval of Adolf Hitler. Whereupon, according Irving, Hitler is innocent and he is not a criminal and a warmonger, but the "Holocaust" is in great part real. Irving has me quite confused.

Irving's initial stuff was good but he went the "Holocaust-lite" route (as Hannover would say) as a result of his failed lawsuit and/or imprisonment. There are a lot of discussions about this if you put "Irving" in the search bar and sift through the many posts.

sfivdf21 wrote:But even though the atrocity propaganda about Auschwitz was even bigger than Majdanek's, Hitler didn't seem to care. It is a great contradiction, did Hitler really make no effort to debunk the anti-German atrocity propaganda about Auschwitz after it was taken over by the Soviets on January 27, 1945? He had almost four months to do it.

Was it really so much different at that point, before the war was over?
Majdanek was the first major camp 'liberated' by the 'Allies'. So when the Soviets put out their homicidal gassing propaganda nonsense, Hitler would have been understandably shocked. When they did the same thing for Auschwitz I don't see why he would have been shocked, as they already revealed that they were going to be doing exactly that. It was a matter of "they did it again."
I am sure he was more focused on the war itself than all of the nonsensical propaganda coming out of the USSR.

PS: It has also come to my attention that the person who informed Hitler that the Soviets took Auschwitz was Wehrmacht's General Heinz Guderian, that indicates that Guderian had access to confidential information about Auschwitz. He survived the war and was not executed in a Allied Show Trial or died in prison and he was actually able to write his memoirs, unfortunately I have not been able to find it, so just in case that you know it I ask: What are Guderian's post-war views on the "Holocaust"? How is Hitler portrayed in Guderian's memoirs? Thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head I don't have anything about that, but I would suggest you make another thread about Guderian if you want to further that discussion as it is a slightly different subject.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
— Herbert Spencer

User avatar
HMSendeavour
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm
Contact:

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby HMSendeavour » 1 day 9 hours ago (Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:44 pm)

sfivdf21 wrote:there were two things that surprised me very much. The first is the contrast in Hitler's reactions when he heard about the anti-German atrocity propaganda that the Soviets spreaded about Majdanek when they liberated that KZ in July 1944 (then he was very outraged and compared this propaganda with the anti-German atrocity propaganda of the WWI) and when he was informed that the Soviets took Auschwitz, that he was only concerned about the situation in the coal area of the KZ. That is a great contradiction, which I find very strange in Hitler, who was always a very coherent and consequent man.


There is no contradiction at all. What was "contradicted" in the literal sense of the term? Even if this were true there is no contradiction.

Lamprecht gave a fine response, but I would also add that Hitler's reaction to every and all events was not recorded. We only know of how Hitler reacted to the Red Army taking Auschwitz, not his reaction to atrocity propaganda put out after the Red Army had taken control of the camp.

We know that Hitler knew of alleged atrocities that came to his desk from people like Hans Frank:

The rumor, however, that the Jews were being killed in the manner which is now known to the entire world would not be silenced. When I expressed the wish to visit the SS workshop near Lublin, in order to get some idea of the value of the work that was being done, I was told that special permission from Heinrich Himmler was required.

I asked Heinrich Himmler for this special permission. He said that he would urge me not to go to the camp. Again some time passed.

On 7 February 1944 I succeeded in being received by Adolf Hitler personally I might add that throughout the war he received me three times only. In the presence of Bormann I put the question to him: "My Fuehrer, rumors about the extermination of the Jews will not be silenced. They are heard everywhere. No one is allowed in anywhere. Once I paid a surprise visit to Auschwitz in order to see the camp, but I was told that there was an epidemic in the camp and my car was diverted before I got there.

Tell me, My Fuehrer, is there anything in it?

"The Fuehrer said, "You can very well imagine that there are executions going on-of insurgents. Apart from that I do not know anything. Why don't you speak to Heinrich Himmler about it?"

And I said. "Well, Himmler made a speech to us in Krakow and declared in front of all the people whom I had officially called to the meeting that these rumors about the systematic extermination of the Jews were false; the Jews were merely being brought to the East."

Thereupon the Fuehrer said, "Then you must believe that."

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20170428180020/http://avalon.law.yale.edu/imt/04-18-46.asp


Lamprecht has already posted this in the thread.

Anyway.

This is Hitler's reaction to alleged atrocities at Auschwitz, the only one I know of. He is quite calm here and expresses no knowledge or care one way or the other. It wasn't Hitler job to know, and it wasn't his job to care about it. Atrocity propaganda is common in war, why should this have been any different? Hitler was not omniscient.

Considering that this is how we know Hitler reacted in early 1944, why would we expect him to have acted differently when he learned Auschwitz had been taken by the Soviets? Hitler's reaction is remarkably consistent in actuality.

sfivdf21 wrote:And the second thing is that the person who informed him that the Red Army took Auschwitz was not a SS-Totenkopfverbände Officer (the branch of the SS that was in charge of the custody of the KZ) but Heinz Guderian (a Wehrmacht General, and as we know the Wehrmacht had nothing to do with the concentration camps issue), this indicates that Guderian had access to confidential information about Auschwitz. It is important to remember that Guderian was not murdered in a Allied Show Trial or died jailed, Guderian was released and once free he wrote his war memoirs, which I have not been able to find. In case you've read them: Do you know what are Guderian's postwar views on the Holocaust issue and how he portrayed Hitler in his memoirs? Thanks in advance.


It is pure conjecture that an SS-Totenkopfverbände would've needed to be the ones to tell Hitler that Auschwitz had been taken. The fact is it was Guderian. For whatever reason isn't important, and it doesn't imply anything about Guderian or his access to information. He was a general after all, it was his job to know where the enemy was and where the Wehrmacht was. It was Guderian mind you, that was made Chief of the General Staff after the July 20th 1944 bomb plot. He was not just "apart of the Wehrmacht".

The taking of a giant industrial camp complex is hardly going to go unnoticed, let alone being noticed by only the right people who were to have noticed it and brought it to the attention of Hitler as you so allege.

What Guderian thought after the war doesn't matter. He told Hitler Auschwitz was lost and Hitler said "Jawohl". Maybe Hitler already knew? Maybe this was the first time he was told. It really has no impact on anything at all.

Guderian's post-war books are widely available in German and in English anyway. If you were so inclined you could read his wikipedia page and see how the historians have lambasted him for not renouncing Hitler and National Socialism to the degree that they would've liked. They accuse him of having covered up "war crimes" etc.
Now what does it mean for the independent expert witness Van Pelt? In his eyes he had two possibilities. Either to confirm the Holocaust story, or to go insane. - Germar Rudolf, 13th IHR Conference

User avatar
Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Re: How reacted Adolf Hitler when he learned that Auschwitz and the other German KZs were liberated?

Postby Lamprecht » 19 hours 16 minutes ago (Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:31 am)

Although getting slightly off topic (Himmler rather than Hitler) this also ties into Irving, as Irving's defense was "yeah it happened but Hitler didn't know, it was Himmler!"

What Himmler said:
"In order to stop the epidemic, we were forced to cremate the bodies of the many people that died of the disease. That was the reason we had to build the crematoria, and now, because of this everybody wants to tighten the noose around our neck." (Norbert Masur's report on his talk with Heinrich Himmler 1945. viewtopic.php?t=11008)
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
— Herbert Spencer


Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests