David McCalden 30 years since his death

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Merlin300
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

David McCalden 30 years since his death

Postby Merlin300 » 4 days 5 hours ago (Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:53 pm)

A discussion made on the 10th memory of his death.

I first encountered the name David McCalden around 1980 when I received a mailing announcing the startup of the David McCalden Revisionist Newsletter, but I’d heard of him before that, under the nom de plume of Lewis Brandon, the name that appeared over the title of Director in mailings from the notorious Institute for Historical Review, then controlled by Willis Carto. I didn’t meet him in person till a couple of years later, when Don Morris showed me a leaflet from the local atheist group, in which I spotted a reference to “David McCalden, Social Director.” I surmised that this was probably the same David McCalden of revisionist notoriety; Don verified that with David, though this was a fact that had not generally been known among the members of the atheist society, who promptly moved to kick him out—Ron Nelson will be able to supply more details on that. David, Don, and I met for beers at the King’s Head and found that we had a number of common interests.

It was about that time that David started up a group that he called The Truthseekers, with the slogan “making isms into wasms”, and about the same time he founded his Truth Missions enterprise as a vehicle for publicizing revisionism, atheism, and other isms that obviously were not among the isms that were to be made into wasms by the Truthseekers. The first Truthseekers meeting had as its speaker none other than Bradley Smith, who talked about his experience as a bookseller being prosecuted for selling Henry Miller’s writings (more about that when I introduce Bradley) and about how he stumbled into holocaust revisionism and determined to flout the societal taboo that attaches to that topic. The Truthseekers as such faded away after a few meetings, but David and a number of others continued to meet informally around the time of the equinoxes and the solstices, those dates being chosen for their pagan associations, and the subjects of discussion were usually whatever Truth Missions project he then had in hand, such as seeking to have a pagan exhibit set up in a Beverly Hills park to balance the display of the Menorah in that park—again, Ron may have some recollections about that.

Since David’s death in 1990, his associates have continued the tradition of those solstice/equinox meetings, right up to this meeting tonight, which was postponed from the equinox on September 22 because of scheduling conflicts, e.g. Bradley’s daughter was getting married that day.

David McCalden was by nature a contrarian. On any given issue—whether of religion, or history, or politics—you would need only to identify the point of view that would offend the largest number of people and provoke the greatest antagonism, and that’s where you’d find him. As to Holocaust revisionism, he acknowledged that one had to be a little eccentric to be open to the possibility of there being some validity to a stance normally compared to flat-earthism, and he never took himself too seriously—for example, he had a telephone hotline for revisionist news, which he always concluded by inviting the caller to leave “your questions, your suggestions, your death threats.”

David died on October 15, 1990, leaving his wife Vivian and daughter Heather, who then was seven or eight. Vivian was a loyal and loving wife who tolerated David’s peculiar views and projects while also sometimes having to share the enmity that came David’s way, and she continued to raise Heather until her own death a couple of years later. After that, Heather was cared for by her grandmother, Vivian’s mother, and went to school at the California School for the Performing Arts at Cal State L.A., where she excelled in dance. I saw her in a recital there earlier this year.

But tonight we’re looking back at David’s life, with the idea of sharing recollections and maybe identifying some influence he may have had on later events. Anybody here with recollections to share or remarks to make, please do so—in particular, Bradley Smith and Andrew Allen have come from afar to join us here, and I’ll just say a few words of introduction for these luminaries. I’m not sure when Bradley and David first met, and I know their association had its high points and its low points, chief among the latter perhaps being marked by Bradley’s famous open letter to David beginning “David, you’re a liar”, but more to be remembered is Bradley’s postmortem on David titled, I think, “Farewell to a Friend.” Bradley and David were both dedicated libertarians from early on. Bradley’s credentials as a libertarian go back at least to 1962, when he was the proprietor of a bookstore, Bradley’s Books, and was prosecuted for refusing to remove “Tropic of Cancer” from sale in his store. He was duly convicted by a jury whose verdict was upheld by an appellate court on the basis that “the protective interest of the state in the morality of its citizens would be encroached upon should we hold otherwise.” Ultimately, however, the conviction was invalidated as a result of a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in a related case. Bradley became interested in holocaust revisionism as a result of being handed a tract by a pamphleteer whose identity is still a matter of dispute, and he eventually, together with Mark Weber, founded CODOH, the Committee for Open Debate (or Discussion?) of the Holocaust.

Andrew Allen is an attorney who collaborated with David on a number of projects including a trip to Poland to pursue revisionist research. He was also involved in David’s effort to secure legal redress from the City of Los Angeles and other defendants who had forced the cancellation of a panel discussion that David had been scheduled to chair at the 1984 meeting of the California Library Association. Bradley Smith was to have been a participant in that discussion, the topic of which, ironically, was to have been the suppression of revisionist discourse. Now, you may have to take what Mr. Allen has to say with a grain of salt, because according to Willis Carto’s Spotlight, which calls itself “the newspaper you can trust,”
David McCalden was a sharp questioner of society's sacred cows and did not tolerate fools gladly.
Tonight I am lifting a glass to toast his memory.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:42 am
Location: Northern California

Re: David MCalden 30 years since his death

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 4 days 1 hour ago (Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 am)

Hi Merlin,

That's very thoughtful that you posted this on the 30th anniversary of his death.

That 1984 California Library Association Event: wasn't the subject of the event "banned books." which was always so quaint with the books that the right didn't like. But McCalden brought in revisionist books, and then he was ironically banned from the event. Is that correct?

User avatar
Archie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 am

Re: David MCalden 30 years since his death

Postby Archie » 3 days 15 hours ago (Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 pm)

McCalden tells his banned book week story is this interview.

https://archive.org/details/RaceReasonDavidMcCalden

Those banned books lists are a joke. They are almost all books that are promoted in schools but that parents have complained about for some reason. Usually profanity or sexual content, gay themes, stuff like that. But that’s absurd because well over 99.9+% of books do not enjoy such favorable promotion. To say something like Catcher in the Rye has been “banned” is beyond absurd. Many of these titles are some of the most available books ever. Meanwhile McCalden’s banned books were books that had actually been banned and suppressed by governments and booksellers.

User avatar
stinky
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: David MCalden 30 years since his death

Postby stinky » 3 days 7 hours ago (Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 pm)

McCalden is an intriguing character & didn't seem to last long with the IHR after helping to found it with Carto (79?).
How did Mr McCalden die?
Further, what is the background of his good mate Andrew Allen Esq?
Michael Collins Piper makes some extraordinary claims about Andrew Allen's links to the Moss, as a weapons runner, links to the Strauss dynasty & as a high level subversive. Being so close to McCalden, if any of Piper's claims about Andrew Allen are accurate, that may raise questions about McCalden. What did he know?
My other interest is how David Cole, as a teenager? at the time, came to befriend / weasel-up to McCalden & then 'inherit' all of McCalden's books & personal correspondence upon McCalden's death.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled

User avatar
borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 2690
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:52 am
Location: Europe

Re: David MCalden 30 years since his death

Postby borjastick » 1 day 17 hours ago (Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:00 am)

stinky wrote:McCalden is an intriguing character & didn't seem to last long with the IHR after helping to found it with Carto (79?).
How did Mr McCalden die?
Further, what is the background of his good mate Andrew Allen Esq?
Michael Collins Piper makes some extraordinary claims about Andrew Allen's links to the Moss, as a weapons runner, links to the Strauss dynasty & as a high level subversive. Being so close to McCalden, if any of Piper's claims about Andrew Allen are accurate, that may raise questions about McCalden. What did he know?
My other interest is how David Cole, as a teenager? at the time, came to befriend / weasel-up to McCalden & then 'inherit' all of McCalden's books & personal correspondence upon McCalden's death.


I may be getting this very wrong and myself in a bit of a mucking fuddle but I seem to remember DMc's private life was somewhat chaotic with women and sexual stuff and that he got and died from AIDS. No doubt someone here will correct me if I am wrong.
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

Merlin300
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: David MCalden 30 years since his death

Postby Merlin300 » 15 hours 57 minutes ago (Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 am)

borjastick wrote:
stinky wrote:McCalden is an intriguing character & didn't seem to last long with the IHR after helping to found it with Carto (79?).
How did Mr McCalden die?
Further, what is the background of his good mate Andrew Allen Esq?
Michael Collins Piper makes some extraordinary claims about Andrew Allen's links to the Moss, as a weapons runner, links to the Strauss dynasty & as a high level subversive. Being so close to McCalden, if any of Piper's claims about Andrew Allen are accurate, that may raise questions about McCalden. What did he know?
My other interest is how David Cole, as a teenager? at the time, came to befriend / weasel-up to McCalden & then 'inherit' all of McCalden's books & personal correspondence upon McCalden's death.


I may be getting this very wrong and myself in a bit of a mucking fuddle but I seem to remember DMc's private life was somewhat chaotic with women and sexual stuff and that he got and died from AIDS. No doubt someone here will correct me if I am wrong.


David McCalden was a creative on-the-ground activist. He worked to obtain the wartime aerial photographs of Auschwitz (a nod here to
John Ball and Professor Butz) and then took the photographs to the "scene of the crime" to aid in analyzing the existing buildings.
Unfortunately, he did not have access to the work of Germar Rudolf or Carlo Mattogno but he did make numerous useful discoveries.
His videos helped spread the word and raised the understanding of the true activities going on at Birkenau, Auschwitz Main camp and Majdanek.

McCalden's newsletter was full of interesting news, facts, and commentary written with a wry sense of humor. He actively supported the
victims of the Office of Special Investigations, one of the few people who did. The Immigration authorities and the FBI even visited him to threaten
him over a Justice Department memo (slightly doctored) he published in his news letter.

Cole was attracted by McCalden's activism. Cole helped McCalden as an undercover photograph when McCalden went to a Holocaust meeting at a synagogue. Both were pretty ballsy.

User avatar
Archie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 am

Re: David McCalden 30 years since his death

Postby Archie » 14 hours 56 minutes ago (Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:41 pm)

Merlin300 wrote:He actively supported the
victims of the Office of Special Investigations, one of the few people who did. The Immigration authorities and the FBI even visited him to threaten
him over a Justice Department memo (slightly doctored) he published in his news letter.


I recently read a booklet McCalden wrote called The Amazing, Rapidly Shrinking Holocaust and he mentioned the case of Feodor Fedorenko which I hadn't heard about. It's similar to the better known Demjanjuk case but seemingly isn't talked about as much nowadays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feodor_Fedorenko

In U.S. deportation/extradition cases, one often finds a traveling-circus of professional Survivors, touring around the country from one trial to the next, often with their spouses joining them “for medical reasons.” In 1978, Florida judge Norman Roettger threw out altogether the wild allegations of one such Treblinka troupe, and called their testimony “coached” and “least credible.” One “witness” even picked out a spectator in the audience as the defendant! (Although the judge threw out the case, an appeals court overruled him on a technicality; the defendant, Federenko, was shipped out to the Soviet Union, where he was put on a show-trial at a union hall, and shot.)

In the 1970s, Chicago factory worker Frank Walus was “identified” by a dozen "eye-witnesses” as being a Nazi war criminal. “Chicago Seven” Judge Julius Hoffman willingly swallowed the accusations, and was so biased in the case that he was condemned by the entire Chicago judicial community. Eventually, documentary evidence was discovered which cleared Walus; however the twelve “eyewitnesses” were never prosecuted for perjury.

Despite having discredited themselves at the Fedorenko trial in Florida, the team of Fabulous Treblinka Testifyers was exhibited again at the John Demjanjuk trials in Cleveland (1981) and Jerusalem (1987). Much of their testimony appears to have been lifted from that of the late Jankiel Wiernik who claimed that at Treblinka “500 persons were crowded into a 25 square meter gas chamber” and that the Germans would “tear a child in half, by hand” and that “the bodies of women were used as kindling.” (This was not the first time Wiernik’s 1944 yarn was re-cycled; at war’s end, many of his whacky claims found their way into “Kurt Gerstein's” confessions: the outlandish gas-chamber capacities, the Star of David on the gas-chamber roof, and the impossible visits of Himmler and/or Hitler, for example.)

https://www.historiography-project.com/books/19870000-amazing-shrinking-holocaust/index.php

He writes with a certain panache.

Merlin300
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: David McCalden 30 years since his death

Postby Merlin300 » 10 hours 43 minutes ago (Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:54 pm)

Archie wrote:
I recently read a booklet McCalden wrote called The Amazing, Rapidly Shrinking Holocaust and he mentioned the case of Feodor Fedorenko which I hadn't heard about. It's similar to the better known Demjanjuk case but seemingly isn't talked about as much nowadays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feodor_Fedorenko

In U.S. deportation/extradition cases, one often finds a traveling-circus of professional Survivors, touring around the country from one trial to the next, often with their spouses joining them “for medical reasons.” In 1978, Florida judge Norman Roettger threw out altogether the wild allegations of one such Treblinka troupe, and called their testimony “coached” and “least credible.” One “witness” even picked out a spectator in the audience as the defendant! (Although the judge threw out the case, an appeals court overruled him on a technicality; the defendant, Federenko, was shipped out to the Soviet Union, where he was put on a show-trial at a union hall, and shot.)

In the 1970s, Chicago factory worker Frank Walus was “identified” by a dozen "eye-witnesses” as being a Nazi war criminal. “Chicago Seven” Judge Julius Hoffman willingly swallowed the accusations, and was so biased in the case that he was condemned by the entire Chicago judicial community. Eventually, documentary evidence was discovered which cleared Walus; however the twelve “eyewitnesses” were never prosecuted for perjury.

Despite having discredited themselves at the Fedorenko trial in Florida, the team of Fabulous Treblinka Testifyers was exhibited again at the John Demjanjuk trials in Cleveland (1981) and Jerusalem (1987). Much of their testimony appears to have been lifted from that of the late Jankiel Wiernik who claimed that at Treblinka “500 persons were crowded into a 25 square meter gas chamber” and that the Germans would “tear a child in half, by hand” and that “the bodies of women were used as kindling.” (This was not the first time Wiernik’s 1944 yarn was re-cycled; at war’s end, many of his whacky claims found their way into “Kurt Gerstein's” confessions: the outlandish gas-chamber capacities, the Star of David on the gas-chamber roof, and the impossible visits of Himmler and/or Hitler, for example.)

https://www.historiography-project.com/books/19870000-amazing-shrinking-holocaust/index.php

He writes with a certain panache.


Haha, Thank you for reposting. McCalden was "woke" to many absurd aspects of the Ugly Myth. "The Holocaust Goes East" was
another theme.

When I think of it, there was an ongoing the David McCalden Halloween Challenge.

https://codoh.com/library/document/davi ... ocaust/en/

It was useful in showing the incredible impossible stories that have been accepted by Believer historians, the Courts and the media.


Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests