The context of expulsions

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
everreader

The context of expulsions

Postby everreader » 2 days 10 hours ago (Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:31 pm)

In the interest of understanding the holocaust in a larger context of Jewish expulsions, I find that reading about the reasons for their expulsions is more taboo than reading about WW2 revisionism. The latter has plenty of material thanks to the valiant efforts of people such as yourselves, but the former in my experience has proved a tougher challenge.

Can anyone recommend any books or videos at all that I can reference to understand the exact reasons for some of their historical expulsions prior to WW2?

Thank you.

Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: The context of expulsions

Postby Lamprecht » 2 days 7 hours ago (Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 pm)

I suggest the following thread:
Complete list of Jewish Expulsions / Jews expelled from over 1,000 places in history
viewtopic.php?t=12596

It started as a list I found of 1,030 expulsions, which I think was built off of a list of 359 expulsions, which was itself based off of the old "109 expulsions" list. It's about 1,050 now, the OP has not been completely updated, I replied with another expulsion that wasn't incuded in the list just two days ago.

I can't think of a better strategy here than going down the list and looking up the individual events. If you find any errors or better sources, quote the listing and reply to that thread. The list is a work-in-progress and it can always be improved.

I will say though, a lot of the expulsions or pogroms (but not all) did not have one specific reason. Rather, there was a constant antagonstic relationship between the Jewish minority and the [mostly ethnically homogenous] host society (almost entirely peasants back then) - but eventually had a triggering event, a "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak.

Some people often blame "Christian bigotry" for these expulsions, but it doesn't explain why they were kicked out of Greece, Rome, Egypt, Samaria and so on. I guess the idea that Jews had any bigotry is beyond comprehension to them. I have made some posts about that here:

Judaism is Racism!
viewtopic.php?t=8387

Another common argument is that Jews were pushed into the occupatons of tax and rent collection, moneylending, and so on. It is argued that this was because Christians at the time believed that lending money for interest was a sin, so it was forbidden. So they were considered useful to kings, popes and emperors as sources of money throughout the Medieval era. They would accumulate wealth from the great masses of peasants and then give or lend some of it to the aristocracy in exchange for their privileges. So the rulers would often tolerate them, but the general population hated them intensely; the deicide of Jesus Christ and accusations of ritual murder didn't help ether.

It was not always these financial fields though. In Eastern Europe especially, Jews monopolized the alcohol trade. From the Jewish Telegraphic Agency:
"This may be surprising, but Jews have a long and very influential history in the alcohol industry spanning Europe, Israel and North America.
For most of the 1800s, Eastern European Jews held a virtual monopoly on the business in their regions. They produced much of the beer and hard alcohol, and ran nearly all the taverns where it was sold. Jews had been in the trade for centuries, but when Polish landowners saw they could make 50% greater profits by turning grain into alcohol than by selling it for food, Jews seized the chance to play an integral role...
By the middle of the 19th century, approximately 85% of all Polish taverns had Jewish management. Jews similarly dominated the industry in the Pale of Settlement (in today’s Ukraine and Belarus), though on a slightly lesser scale.
Jewish participation in the alcohol business was so prevalent that according to Glenn Dynner, author of “Yankel’s Tavern: Jews, Liquor, & Life in the Kingdom of Poland,” 30-40% of Poland’s Jews (including women and children) worked in the industry."

- The forgotten history of Jews in the alcohol industry (8 July 2020)
http://archive.fo/BdIR4 | http://web.archive.org/web/202007130708 ... l-industry

So here we have a situation where the great masses of peasants (90% of the population) were generally illiterate, living lives comparable to slaves, having little wealth (both money and land). And the people that regularly demanded tax payments from these downtrodden serfs, managed their land, drove them into debt [and sometimes dragged away their children if they couldn't pay] ... and then sold them alcohol so that they could drink away their misery virtually all had a Jewish face!
How is that not a recipe for disaster?

I agree with your statement:
reading about the reasons for their expulsions is more taboo than reading about WW2 revisionism

I suspect that this is because they are convinced that they have totally locked in their "Holocaust" narrative to the point where they (1) truly believe it themselves, and (2) think it has been conclusively proven as fact. However, they do not feel the same way about all of these other events. They can easily just hand-wave a few of them away, but it's such a consistent theme across so many different cultures and time periods that it's hard to make the case that it was totally unprovoked in each instance.

Curious non-Jews might come to similar conclusions that others have come to after researching both the "Holocaust" and other historical conflicts that didn't even include Jews at all. On that subject, I recommend:

Lessons of the Holocaust: Diversity + Proximity = War?
viewtopic.php?t=12362
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
— Herbert Spencer

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”