Problem with memory

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Vukdar

Problem with memory

Postby Vukdar » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:34 pm)

https://youtu.be/VrrI81yTHbk

I just watched this testimony, and this lady sounds convincing in a sense that she is calm, and seems to believe this. (does not matter she reads)

If you believe that something happened you will not act and look like Dario Gabbai where it is so obvious that you lie. I believe you will look like this. If I didn't know that chimneys do not spit fire I would believe her story.

One more thing that would (maybe) make me question her story is description of how Germans treated these people. I mean, you can have one really sick person that does these things, but to have many that would do this for days seems very unbelievable to me. Or maybe I am just naive to think humans are incapable of this, on this systematic emotionless way?

Anyway, I wanna share somethng I experienced today. I made a video where I described event that happened more than 25 years ago, when I was just a kid. In story I told there was this other kid that did something, and whole story was about that. I uploaded it on facebook and I tagged him so he could have good laugh, and I also asked does he remember this?

After I got few likes I started to doubt that it was even him that did this, and there was a possibility that it was this other kid that did this. I panicked because it would be really dumb if I tagged wrong guy. Fortunately it was him, and he remembered with even more details that I forgot. I felt relief. Reason I had this doubt was because two of them were very similar in looks, and we would hang out every day so it wasn't very clear to me after I did some thinking and confused myself in the process. :)

Also, there was this detail with a gun in this story. He told me that this guy that was chasing us has a gun. Now, I never saw this gun in his hand, and I now believe he said that just to scare me, but what is interesting is that when I pull this memory out of my head and look at it then I clearly see this gun. It is strange...

Also, he does not even remember this gun or that he even said that to scare me.

I don't think she saw open burning pits or chimneys with flames. I think that is just product of stories she later heard, and now repeats with difference that she actually believes this happened to her. I think she was just working in the camp and didn't really see anything of this sort.

This also made me very sad in one moment because I realised how fragile we are, and how our minds can play tricks on us.

I have one question. Have you ever seen testimony that does not have impossible details in it? Like, something really convincing that you thought how this person is not making stuff up?

Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: Problem with memory

Postby Lamprecht » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:08 pm)

There are a lot of issues with memory, especially many years after the event (and for children), as well as false memory syndrome. Additionally, people just lie

A video on false confessions viewtopic.php?t=7414

False Confessions viewtopic.php?t=6229

The Psychology of False Confessions / Why people confess to crimes they did not commit viewtopic.php?t=12804

Ratio of obvious liars to claimed "eyewitnesses"? viewtopic.php?t=12170

I have one question. Have you ever seen testimony that does not have impossible details in it? Like, something really convincing that you thought how this person is not making stuff up

I suggest:

Holocaust Survivors Who Tell The Truth
https://www.bitchute.com/video/bcmREkkOkaew/
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
— Herbert Spencer

Sannhet
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Sannhet » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:03 am)

Vukdar wrote:I made a video where I described event that happened more than 25 years ago, when I was just a kid. In story I told there was this other kid that did something, and whole story was about that. I uploaded it on facebook and I tagged him so he could have good laugh, and I also asked does he remember this?

After I got few likes I started to doubt that it was even him that did this, and there was a possibility that it was this other kid that did this. I panicked because it would be really dumb if I tagged wrong guy. Fortunately it was him, and he remembered with even more details that I forgot. I felt relief. Reason I had this doubt was because two of them were very similar in looks, and we would hang out every day so it wasn't very clear to me after I did some thinking and confused myself in the process. :)

Also, there was this detail with a gun in this story. He told me that this guy that was chasing us has a gun. Now, I never saw this gun in his hand, and I now believe he said that just to scare me, but what is interesting is that when I pull this memory out of my head and look at it then I clearly see this gun. It is strange...

Also, he does not even remember this gun or that he even said that to scare me.

Let's make a thought-experiment: Imagine the incident, this vague memory, became somehow relevant to politics. Millions of your people depended on you to confirm the story. Yes, something happened. But would either you or the friend have the courage to reveal your doubts, or the inconsistencies in your memories?

Vukdar

Postby Vukdar » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 am)

Sannhet wrote:Let's make a thought-experiment: Imagine the incident, this vague memory, became somehow relevant to politics. Millions of your people depended on you to confirm the story. Yes, something happened. But would either you or the friend have the courage to reveal your doubts, or the inconsistencies in your memories?

I was looking on facebook for this other potential guy so I could tag him too. Since I was not sure who was it I would let them decide. It was fortunate that first guy confirmed my story just in the right moment so there was no need to do this.

Lets imagine I wasn't correct, then the first guy would challenge me with saying that he doesn't remember and that it wasn't him. What I think happens with survivor testimonies is that nobody challenges them. This lady travels all over the country telling this story, and she does this for years, and nobody ever said to her: "Look lady, chimneys do not spit fire. Since that is something your mind made up, are you sure about that other stuff?"

If you could go and ask them these things something would happen. Unfortunately that is not an option. It is quite the opposite, everybody is enforcing her memory by not expressing doubt.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”