'Kapo' The Movie

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Temporary on hold

'Kapo' The Movie

Postby Temporary on hold » 1 decade 6 years ago (Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:13 pm)

I recently saw a movie from 1959 about a girl's experience in Treblinka.

A brief summary has a young jewish girl in Paris being taken with her parents to a concentration camp. When they get off the train a German soldier grunts a yes or no and the arriving subjects are either sent left or right in this selection.

At night in the children's barracks a boy tells the girl he understands german and they are to be killed in the morning. When the door is left open she asks the boy to escape but he says it's no use. The girl escapes into the camp and wanders until she finds an open woman's barracks where an inmate confronts her. She tells her story and the inmate takes her to the sympathetic camp doctor where she luckily trades identities with a freshly-dead french prisoner. She is coached on what to do, given a haircut and prison uniform, and sent back to the barracks. Because she wasn't registered yet she disappears into this new identity unnoticed.

While looking out her barracks window the next morning she sees the children and her parents being herded naked to the gas chambers. She is in shock, but reconciles to saving herself. The next day she is sent to Treblinka.

Camp life progresses with all the hardships and abuses we have all been told of. Eventually she despairs and becomes a guard entertainer in order to gain favor and a better food ration. Her relationship with the guards eventually gains her a kapo position where she gains power over the other prisoners and their contempt. Eventually Red Army prisoners are brought to the camp and she falls in love with one. With the Red Army advancing close enough to hear she becomes a hero in the end at the fall of Treblinka.

The film is important to revisionism because its producer went around collecting camp stories from survivors. It is said to have gained credibility because it relied on the direct word of persons who were there.

Now we cut back to the movie. In a barracks scene the jewish girl is told that a selection of the women prisoners is periodically done and those unfit for duty are "sent to another camp where they are gassed". - See the problem there anyone? I thought Treblinka was a notorious death camp with notorious gas chambers? Why would they need to be sent to another camp for gassing? Remember this is information that the producer got from persons who were there.

Also, I didn't see any story about 900,000 being gassed and buried in huge pits in 'Kapo'. The women in this movie were in the camp for several years...

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 6 years ago (Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:29 pm)

Interesting.

I think there might have been a Treblinka 1 and Treblinka II, with one being a labor camp. So they say.

Temporary on hold

Postby Temporary on hold » 1 decade 6 years ago (Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:38 pm)

When the Russians are nearly upon Treblinka the kapo discovers that all prisoners are to be trucked to Germany to a special camp where they will be gassed. The trucks are never sent due to war problems so the commandant orders the prisoners to start digging a giant trench inside the camp. It is here that the prisoners decide to make a break for the fences. The movie is mentioned to be based on a true story. It's an Italian film with english subtitles...

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 6 years ago (Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:50 pm)

That is funny. I think Italian and French 'camp' movies are probably even more outlandish than American ones.

Haldan
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Haldan » 1 decade 6 years ago (Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:42 am)

Yes, Carto. I must agree on that. Has anyone seen La Vita è bella - Life is Beautiful? These weirdo movies affect me in a negative way - Germans are Evil! :twisted: - That's how all these movies works. It's sick.

-haldan
<?php if ($Holocaust == false ) {deny_repeatedly(); } else { investigate(); } ?>
Homage to Catalin Haldan

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 6 years ago (Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:41 am)

I had kids visit this summer, and we watched Disney movies and other kids movies, and there was all this "Germans are evil" even in those! Never too early to start being brainwashed. I only watched about 5 random movies in total and here are two below:

George of the Jungle: the bad guys are all blonde and some are speaking with German accents!

My Dog Skip. Even brings in Hitler and the Germans where the kids are stabbing an effigy of Hitler and the dog bites the effigy, you guessed it, in the groin! Never too young to start the indoctrination.

Temporary on hold

Postby Temporary on hold » 1 decade 6 years ago (Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:46 pm)

I would suggest that if prisoners from Treblinka were to be sent to Germany to be gassed, that prisoners from Auschwitz would have been too. That isn't the case though.

Revisionism is a matter of cross examining eyewitness accounts. Remember, we were told that the Auschwitz gassings were called off in 1944 in order to prevent reprisals after the war. We were told that Weisel went with the Germans back to Germany. So, according to the survivors the producer interviewed, the Treblinka survivors were to be trucked to Germany for gassing while Auschwitz had long discontinued its gassings and was taking its prisoners back to Germany for incarceration.

If anything the movie 'Kapo' shows that at least that camp's prisoners were being used for labor and not systematically gassed.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”