Auschwitz BBC series, explosive questions

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
grapple

Auschwitz BBC series, explosive questions

Postby grapple » 1 decade 6 years ago (Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:31 pm)

Did anyone hear the claim that the Germans experimented with explosives to mass murder? The story sounds crazy to me since they claim that using Carbon Monoxide was to difficult but as far a I can see explosives would have the following problems compared to CO

More expensive to make
More difficult to make
Uses more expensive and hard to obtain materials to make
Is more dangerous to make and transport
Is a vital war material
Germany had been at war for two years and would have large amounts of experience with what explosives can and cannot do.
And as explained in the TV series leaves body parts in the trees.

But since someone somewhere came up with the explosive idea and made it part of the holocaust story they had to include it since not to include it would be holocaust denial.

Quote from transcript

“Which is why SS Lieutenant Dr. Albert Widmann of the Technical Institute of the Criminal Police travelled into Eastern Europe. Widmann and his colleagues had been involved in the experiments which had led to the use of bottled carbon monoxide to kill the disabled. But he knew that it would be expensive and difficult to send canisters of carbon monoxide all the way to the new killing locations far from Germany. So he had to find a new way forward, which is why he drove into the Soviet Union followed by a truck carrying boxes of high explosive. Widmann reported to Artur Nebe, commander of one of the killing squads, at his headquarters in the Lenin House in Minsk.

Widmann reported to Artur Nebe, commander of one of the killing squads, at his headquarters in the Lenin House in Minsk.

Subtitles: I hope you've got enough explosives with you? You ordered 250 kg, I've brought 450 kg with me. You never know. Very good.

Nazi eyewitness account of murder experiment with explosives: "The bunker had totally collapsed, there was total silence. Body parts were scattered on the ground and hanging in the trees. And the next day we collected the body parts and threw them back into the bunker. Those parts that were too high in the trees were just left there."

http://www.pbs.org/auschwitz/about/transcripts.html

Hebden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hebden » 1 decade 6 years ago (Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:39 pm)

grapple wrote:Did anyone hear the claim that the Germans experimented with explosives to mass murder?

We believe this story originated with SS-General von dem Bach-Zelewski's account of Mr. Himmler's visit to Minsk, and it took on a life of its own, serving as a functional equivalent of a 'pious lie' in the narrative development of the Nazi gas chambers.

Dr. Widmann stood trial in West Germany in 1967, so the details of his involvement presumably date from the period.

Maly Jacek
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Maly Jacek » 1 decade 6 years ago (Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:51 pm)

http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=1634

BBC version of what happened at Mogilev is another distortions as the whole incident according to Widmann's testimony was "FAILED ATTEMPT".

grapple

Postby grapple » 1 decade 6 years ago (Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:11 pm)

The biggest problem with this story is not that it failed but that the BBC could even imagine that anyone would think that using explosives would be an effective method. It would be a huge red flag that something was wrong with the story. Any real reporters at this point would have called in explosive experts and asked their opinion. The explosive experts would have pointed out the much greater costs and dangers of using explosives in this manner far exceeded either Carbon Monoxide or any other murder method. So somewhere the BBC should have pointed out that either the Germans were idiots or that something was wrong with this story, but instead they told this story without any questioning.

To moderators, sorry about starting another thread about this topic, I did not check back far enough to see that it had already been discussed.

Postby Moderator » 1 decade 6 years ago (Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:09 am)

Yeah, I wish you guys would take the time to search something before you start a new thread. Obviously we're going to have some redunancy, but at least go back a few pages & check before you post.
Anyway, here's the other thread on this topic which began all the way back on 1/12/05: :roll:
http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=1634
Only lies need to be shielded from debate, truth welcomes it.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”