The Mystery of the Auschwitz Shoes

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Ajax
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

The Mystery of the Auschwitz Shoes

Postby Ajax » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:39 pm)

This was something that struck me - or rather, my girlfriend - when we were watching the recent BBC docudrama (that's right, docudrama) on Auschwitz. It is something I had never thought of before - how and why - if the last mass transports had taken place more than two months earlier and such an effort had been made to 'hide the evidence' - would the Nazis have left such a large pile of old shoes and eyeglasses for the Russians to 'discover'?

As we all know, these huge piles are now used as 'evidence' (read tools of emotional blackmail) to suggest that their former owners had been 'gassed' in the camp's famous homicidal 'gas chambers' - but how they actually got there remains a mystery. I find it difficult to believe that the Nazis would have left such a glaring propaganda opportunity for their enemies, and am inclined to believe that the Soviets had a part to play in this curious story. It wouldn't have taken much to organise a massive footwear hunt, after all.

Of course, one could argue that this is all rather moot anyway as a pile of shoes doesn't in way mean that their former owners had been killed - in homicidal gas chambers or otherwise.

/Ajax
Scour the surface throughly until it is glistening...

Richard Perle
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Richard Perle » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:22 pm)

Weren't inmates issued with camp footware? The eyeglasses issue was something I was thinking about the other night (the holocaust plays in my thoughts a lot as I try to sleep) and it seems unlikely that the glasses could be explained as having belonged only to those who died of natural causes. Perhaps I am imagining a bigger pile of specs than actually exists.
I'm not suprised that these things are held as evidence of extermination. Everything else is twisted to fit the narrative.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:07 pm)

The pile of human hair, several tons, is a big one too. As Ajax says, why would they speak in coded language and be ever so secretive, and then leave all this stuff?

A couple of things come to mind.

•I have a thread I started on the human hair, where I mention they might have been trying to extract L-cysteine protein from it, thus recycling it. That's still done today around the globe apparently.

•Perhaps they were trying to recycle the plastic in the glasses.

•The NKVD could have planted it.

Perhaps the average person thinks a pile of 65,000 glasses looks the size of a pile of 2 million glasses.

theTRUTH
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby theTRUTH » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:59 pm)

After the May to November typhus problem in Birkenau where thousands of inmates died, the prime concern was to intercept the typhus carrying body lice. Luggage, blankets, heavy clothes, and leather goods such as shoes and belts were taken away from inmates on arrival and either placed in the 2 large buildings in the center of the camp (air-photo.com, Birkenau camp, #20) to mix with Zyklon B gas to exterminate the lice, or placed in the Sauna (Birkenau camp, #10), where lighter clothes and bedding were steamed in large containers.

The glasses were made out of metal and glass, not plastic, and it was common practice during the war for citizens to donate not-needed eye-glasses that could be used by the military or people under care, such as Birkenau inmates. So combine glasses from older inmates who died of typhus and natural causes, with donated glasses, and you may have a considerable amount.

The hair could have been used for clothing and bedding fill.

TMoran
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby TMoran » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:24 am)

Ajax:
This was something that struck me - or rather, my girlfriend - when we were watching the recent BBC docudrama (that's right, docudrama) on Auschwitz. It is something I had never thought of before - how and why - if the last mass transports had taken place more than two months earlier and such an effort had been made to 'hide the evidence' - would the Nazis have left such a large pile of old shoes and eyeglasses for the Russians to 'discover'?

(Shoes are an icon of the Holocaust nonsense. Back a few years ago during an anti-gun movement shoes of victims of gun shots were gathered and displayed in Washington. The source for that witty idea could be traced to the Holocaust community.)

In the book, 'Auschwitz: A History in Photographs' or something like that they show a pile of blankets which they caption as being 'religious shawls' worn by Jewish women that were gassed. You don't have to look very hard to see the blankets are all exactly the same, meaning they were supplied by the Germans to the inmates. Another photo shows sewing machines said to have been confiscated from Jews who brought them along to Auschwitz. You don't have to look very hard to see they are all exactly the same kind which would mean they were supplied to the camp by the Germans.

J William
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby J William » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:47 am)

Why does a pile of shoes and/or glasses equate to a equal or approximate number of deportees? If I were to be permanently deported to the "east" (or anywhere else for that matter) I would take all three pair of my eyeglasses and at least one extra pair of shoes in the pack that was allowed to be carried with me. Much to do about nothing, another item played to the hilt for propaganda purposes.

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:00 pm)

First we must be sure that those shoes, hair, glasses, suitcases, etc. were not stage props added after 'liberation'.

No doubt that one would find remnants of human activities, but the whole thing smells of staging.

Afterall, when you don't have gas chambers, which are not even possible as alleged, when your physical/forenic evidence is lacking, when there are no mass graves as alleged; well then, one would need to distract with smoke & mirrors.

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:53 pm)

:? The shoes have a quite simple explanation ,actualy.If you've ever been to boot camp,you know as part of a hygenic process they take away your civillian clothes,shave your head,make you take a shower,and issue you a uniform.Same thing for internees at auschwitz,where hygene was a major concearn primarily because of the typhus outbreaks.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:58 pm)

Very well put, code yellow! :wink:

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:19 pm)

:) Thank you,Rrohde!Actualy,the question of what type of shoes they were issused makes an interesting thought.Maybe they were issued shoes that

were more suitable for work purposes.If you think about it,one could say

that in fact they were looking out for the internees best interest.After all,it

would make sense to keep their desperately needed work force in good condition.

Ajax
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Ajax » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:33 pm)

I guess it would have made sense to take the shoes away, for in many camps prisoners were issued with standard issue clogs. That said it doesn't explain why there was such a massive pile still there for the Soviets to find after all the effort had been made to destroy the alleged homicidal gas chambers. The guys who ran Auschwitz were clinically efficient one day, and bumbling buffoons the next. Some people clearly cannot make up their minds.

The shoes are there as an emotional club, as are the eye glasses and the towering piles of hair. All of these items have nothing directly to do with mass murder, unless of course you believe that your local hairdresser is gassing people in the back room on account of the hair covering the floor. I am actually looking forward to the day when we will be seeing Adidas and Nike shoes on the infamous pile of old shoes - supplied by the grandchildren of the survivors, of course. OK, you were waiting for the pun, but the Auschwitz shoes display is a pile of old cobblers... :wink:
Scour the surface throughly until it is glistening...

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:49 pm)

:) But,you see,why would they ditch the shoes as evidence if in fact there was no crime commited(as we all know here)?There was no reason for

them to even think about covering up the shoes.They are now just put on display for the poor gullable people who don't know any better,same as

the pile of hair,and cans of zyklon b.Everyone of these things has a simple explanation.Props,nothing more.Props that prove nothing,but are just

there to add flavor to the scenery,and to fan the flames of the auschwitz lies.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:54 pm)

7 tons of human hair. That is 14,000 pounds.

So if one person during their stay contributes one tenth of a pound of hair, that is 10 people for one pound. That is 140,000 people for 14,000 pounds, which is about right. They weren't killed by gas, they just had hair that grew.

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:32 am)

:) That's right.Like I mentioned before,newly arrived internees go through a hygenic process part of wich is getting their hair cut off,wich is

done for their duration at the labor camp.If you are familliar with Fleming's Hitler and the final solution,you will remember a photo of a

group of naked women with suit cases behind them and full heads of hair.The caption at bottom reads"They are told they are going to

shower,but are headed for the gas chamber."Where?I don't see any gas chamber.Oh,these are newly arrived internees,as we can tell by the full

heads of hair.They are in fact heading for showers,will get hair cuts,and will be issued uniforms and put to work.Simple,isn't it?

Reviso
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Reviso » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:32 am)

Good morning.

In the book of Carol Ann Lee : "Anne Frank : a biography" (1999), french translation "Anne Frank, les secrets d'une vie", p. 237, about Anne and Margot Frank at Auschwitz : "on les avait affectées au hangar à chaussures, d'anciennes granges où s'entassaient de vieux souliers venus de toute l'Allemagne. Elles devaient (...) mettre de côté les pièces réutilisables."
I translate the translation : "They were posted to the shed with the shoes, former barns where old shoes from whole Germany piled up. Their task was (...) to put aside the pieces that could be utilized again."
(Sorry for my bad english.)

There remains no mystery, I think ?

Reviso.
Last edited by Reviso on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”