Study: It's Easy to Plant False Memories

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
User avatar
Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 9915
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:53 pm

Study: It's Easy to Plant False Memories

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 6 years ago (Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:16 pm)

This story has many applications for the 'holocau$t' tales we have heard. It was almost made to order. Pass it on.

- Hannover


Study: It's Easy to Plant False Memories
The Associated Press, Sun 16 Feb 2003


DENVER (AP) — Remember that wonderful day when Bugs Bunny hugged you at Disneyland? A study presented Sunday shows just how easy it can be to induce false memories in the minds of some people.

More than a third of subjects in the study recalled that theme-park moment — impossible because Bugs is not a Disney character — after a researcher planted the false memory.

Other research, of people who believed they were abducted by space aliens, shows that even false memories can be as intensely felt as those of real-life victims of war and other violence.

The research demonstrates that police interrogators and people investigating sexual-abuse allegations must be careful not to plant suggestions into their subjects, said University of California-Irvine psychologist Elizabeth Loftus. She presented preliminary results of recent false memory experiments Sunday at the national meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

Loftus said some people may be so suggestible that they could be convinced they were responsible for crimes they didn't commit. In interviews, ``much of what goes on — unwittingly — is contamination,'' she said.

The news media's power of suggestion also can leave a false impression, Loftus said.

``During the Washington sniper attacks, everyone reported seeing a white van,'' she said. ``Where did it come from? The whole country was seeing white vans.''

A key, researchers said, is to add elements of touch, taste, sound and smell to the story.

In the Bugs Bunny study, Loftus talked with subjects about their childhoods and asked not only whether they saw someone dressed up as the character, but also whether they hugged his furry body and stroked his velvety ears. In subsequent interviews, 36 percent of the subjects recalled the cartoon rabbit.

In another study, Loftus suggested frog-kissing incidents that 15 percent of the group later recalled.

``It is sensory details that people use to distinguish their memories,'' said Loftus, who has conducted false memories experiments on 20,000 subjects over 25 years. ``If you imbue the story with them, you'll disrupt this memory process. It's almost a recipe to get people to remember things that aren't true.''

In other research presented Sunday, Harvard University psychologist Richard McNally tested 10 people who said they had been abducted, physically examined and sexually molested by space aliens.

Researchers tape-recorded the subjects talking about their memories. When the recordings were played back later, the purported abductees perspired and their heart rates jumped.

McNally said three of the 10 subjects showed physical reactions ``at least as great'' as people suffering post traumatic stress disorder from war, crime, rape and other violent incidents.

``This underscores the power of emotional belief,'' McNally said.
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

User avatar
Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 9915
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 6 years ago (Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:47 pm)

For additional reading may I suggest:

http://hannover.yourforum.org/letter/25.html

- Hannover 8)
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

steve
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:24 pm
Location: Maryland

Postby steve » 1 decade 6 years ago (Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:13 pm)

Hannover,

The only problem I have with your post is it tacitly implies a significant number of Holocaust 'eyewitness' suffer from a defective memory; possibly as the result of the trauma of being in the camps, or whatever.

I disagree with that. I think, for the most (VERY most) part, the so-called 'eyewitnesses' are not 'mistaken' at all. They are, quite simply, liars.

I understand the intent of your post. But, I think the revisionists give those lying filth too much consideration. They are lying parasites. Period.

Steve

User avatar
Scott
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:00 am

Postby Scott » 1 decade 6 years ago (Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:51 am)

steve wrote:Hannover,

The only problem I have with your post is it tacitly implies a significant number of Holocaust 'eyewitness' suffer from a defective memory; possibly as the result of the trauma of being in the camps, or whatever.

I disagree with that. I think, for the most (VERY most) part, the so-called 'eyewitnesses' are not 'mistaken' at all. They are, quite simply, liars.

I understand the intent of your post. But, I think the revisionists give those lying filth too much consideration. They are lying parasites. Period.

Some of the Holo-Professionals obviously are but I srongly disagree that they are all liars. The little old lady that swears she saw her friends boiled into Human Soap at Auschwitz is simply mistaken and transfering rumors and stories to explain her own experiences. It is not hard to do. Most people want to be part of history so each of us tries to frame our past experiences into the historical macrocosm. It is a very human thing, even when our memories don't trick us. Most memories are just paradigms anyway, not videotape; then they get pigeonholed for long-term storage when we are very suggestible. If washing underwear was boiling soap then so be it. It is wrong but it is not necessarily a lie. Most people actually believe their own B. S. and that is not lying. On the other hand, accomplished liars actually train themselves to believe their own lies and sometimes can't tell the truth from their version of it, so obviously they feel no anxiety about telling lies. Their stories carry frankness and verisimilitude so are difficult to detect.
:)
Last edited by Scott on Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 9915
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 6 years ago (Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:18 am)

What all this really says is that so called "eyewitnesses" are poor sources of evidence. Unless what they claim can be verified on the ground and is scientifically / technically possible, then we have a lot lying and wishful thinking going on.
I've always maintained that the reason people believe in the 'holocau$t' as alleged is that they want to believe.

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

grapple
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:51 pm

Postby grapple » 1 decade 6 years ago (Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:18 am)

I believe that the eyewitnesses are a combination of deliberate liars, wishful liars, and people deceived by propaganda and stories. However if you lie enough you will begin to believe those lies.

The thing about these stories is that they are based on emotion not facts and were started by propaganda, rumors and fear. Being based on emotion is why they are filled with contradictions and impossibilities. That is why they can be proven false because they are either physically impossible or the actual evidence shows that they are untrue. However going through each story and proving it false is a long process. This is one of the reasons the Holocaust story is moving to distant and unknown locations so that there is no physical evidence to prove it wrong and even the stories are vague.

steve
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:24 pm
Location: Maryland

Postby steve » 1 decade 6 years ago (Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:57 pm)

Scott,

You may very well be correct in that many, the little old lady being a good example, are simpy caught up in propaganda, hearsay, etc. And, that being the case, may not at all be lying.

However, the few eyewitnesses I've read about, Vrba and Freidman(Sp?) at the Zundel trial, especially Vrba, were liars.

The lady who said she, along with many others, were tipped in the gas chamber thru an opening roof, is quite obviously, a liar.

Now, the type of person you are talking about, the one who is not necessarily lying, does exist in abundance. And, if you were talking about gentiles, I'd agree. But, when it comes to a certain group of non-gentiles, who are protecting their H-religion, I think it is simply the case they are lying. It just seems to be a natural trait of theirs. Am I being unfair? The so-called Holocaust tells me otherwise.

Steve

User avatar
Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 9915
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon May 10, 2004 9:36 am)

And once these people have committed to their stories they enact laws to make questioning them illegal.

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

User avatar
Scott
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:00 am

Postby Scott » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon May 10, 2004 12:03 pm)

False-memories and feeling pain and trauma as if they really experienced such things, or mislabeling of what pain and trauma they did experience during the war, is why Holocaust propaganda is really an abuse of Jewish people. Their community really should take a serious look at this from a critical standpoint. That is where Finkelstein is coming from, I think. His Mom was an Auschwitz Survivor; he is critical of the Holocaust Industry but he is not a Holocaust Denier. That's a good start.

:D

sykokinesis
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 3:47 am
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Contact:

Postby sykokinesis » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon May 10, 2004 2:16 pm)

What if a Jewish eyewitnesses came forward and said that the Holocaust never took place as history explains and is a complete lie?
Will you accept this as fact simply because it agrees with your point of view? Or will you stick by your ideas that eyewitnesses make bad witnesses?

john
everything you know is wrong

User avatar
Scott
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:00 am

Postby Scott » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon May 10, 2004 5:57 pm)

sykokinesis wrote:What if a Jewish eyewitnesses came forward and said that the Holocaust never took place as history explains and is a complete lie?

Will you accept this as fact simply because it agrees with your point of view? Or will you stick by your ideas that eyewitnesses make bad witnesses?

john

How could they be an eyewitnesses if they never saw anything?

The thing is, the Holocaust is not one monolithic fact that can be verified or debunked; it is a collection of millions of experiences and facts.

But let's say that a Sonderkommando came forward and said, "no, there were never any gassings the the Kremas. I was there. We made it all up."

Well, that wouldn't fit the Nuremberg orthodox position. So he would be silenced just as sure as anything as an anti-Semitic and self-hating Jew, perhaps as a collaborator guilty of unspeakable crimes himself.

But that would be something, Jews prosecuted for Holodenial.

:shock:

sykokinesis
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 3:47 am
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Contact:

Postby sykokinesis » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon May 10, 2004 10:28 pm)

But would you accept it as fact because it agrees with your views?
everything you know is wrong

Leif Göransson
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:43 am
Contact:

Postby Leif Göransson » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon May 10, 2004 11:33 pm)

The fact that statements, told by for instance fugitives, or other groups under pressure during war, often are misleading and even completely false, is confirmed by professor Sven-Åke Christianson, the psychological institution at the university of Stockholm.
“The problem is to determine what a person really has seen, and what is a collective memory. When in situations under pressure, things that have happened to other people are often something included in the memory for others”. He also says that “the memory are easily manipulated, we know that from the science of human memory. It can create a feeling that we remember things that actually are only told to us. The more one talk to others, the harder it becomes to separate what one has really seen/been part of, and what’s a construction”.

Published May 18, 1999 in Dagens Nyheter, one of the major morningpapers in Sweden.

User avatar
Holycaust
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby Holycaust » 1 decade 1 year ago (Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:33 pm)

Hannover wrote:For additional reading may I suggest:

http://hannover.yourforum.org/letter/25.html

- Hannover 8)


Hannover, this link won't work for me. Is it still active?

Cheers ;)

User avatar
Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset
Posts: 9915
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 1 year ago (Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:13 pm)

Holycaust wrote:
Hannover wrote:For additional reading may I suggest:

http://hannover.yourforum.org/letter/25.html

- Hannover 8)


Hannover, this link won't work for me. Is it still active?

Cheers ;)

No, it's dead. I suggest:

'Key to False Memories Uncovered'
http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=4629

'False memories as 'facts' / some examples'
http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

'False memories and the "misinformation effect"'
http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=1995

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.


Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lamprecht, MSN [Bot] and 4 guests