Bombing of Hamburg left "hundreds homeless"

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
oberststuhlherr

Bombing of Hamburg left "hundreds homeless"

Postby oberststuhlherr » 1 decade 4 years ago (Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:02 pm)

I don't watch TV, per se. That is, I don't have cable, nor do I have an antenna to receive broadcasts. I occasionally watch videos. Because of the growing importance given to the topic of "The Holocaust", I decided to purchase the BBC's recent infotainment docudrama about Auschwitz called Inside the Nazi State. I believe it is important to know what is being presented to the masses.

One of the statements made in this program is that the bombing of Hamburg "left hundreds homeless". I have not investigated this, but I have the impression that is comperable to saying the bombing of Hiroshima killed dozens. Is this an accurate assessment?
"From October 1928 the two largest regular contributors to the Nazi Party were ... of Jewish faith, and one of them the leader of Zionism in Germany." Brüning, 1937

Secret Anne X

Postby Secret Anne X » 1 decade 4 years ago (Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:57 pm)

Hi,

The term of art used by the British was "dehoused" as in "hundreds of thousands of Hamburgers were dehoused" -- and I believe it was in that number area.

The whole idea of the British bombings was to set fire to cities, thinking that the people would rise up and demand peace. That meant focusing on the residential areas, which were mostly made of wood. I think I have heard that something like 4-5 million Germans were "dehoused" during the War. Maybe that's too high, but on that order of size.

Sounds like a pretty stupid video.

oberststuhlherr

Postby oberststuhlherr » 1 decade 4 years ago (Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:11 pm)

Secret Anne X wrote:Hi,

The term of art used by the British was "dehoused" as in "hundreds of thousands of Hamburgers were dehoused" -- and I believe it was in that number area.

The whole idea of the British bombings was to set fire to cities, thinking that the people would rise up and demand peace. That meant focusing on the residential areas, which were mostly made of wood. I think I have heard that something like 4-5 million Germans were "dehoused" during the War. Maybe that's too high, but on that order of size.

Sounds like a pretty stupid video.

It is superbly produced. Göbbels would be mad with envy.
"From October 1928 the two largest regular contributors to the Nazi Party were ... of Jewish faith, and one of them the leader of Zionism in Germany." Brüning, 1937

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 4 years ago (Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:46 pm)

There's an interesting short story about the residential bombing of Hamburg by a German author little known in the English-speaking world named Wolfgang Borchert. He wrote a story about how the British and Americans wiped a suburb off the face of the earth, named Bill Brook.

A story about Germans starving, called "The Bread", written by him can be found here:
http://www.bsu.edu/classes/warner/resource/dasbrot.html

kk
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby kk » 1 decade 4 years ago (Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:43 pm)

My old German language teacher told me the story of how they tried to run away from the center of the bombing and away from the "Feuersturm", but the roads were trying to hold on to them as the bitumen was melting. He was 7 years old at the time.

His nightmares stoped after he was married.

He was certainly" dehoused", ofcourse!

DaveDundee

Postby DaveDundee » 1 decade 4 years ago (Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:13 pm)

oberststuhlherr I recently managed to download one of the old BBC TV World At War epics. It was a treat.
The "Actors" said the most amusing lines. One, if memory serves right was "I was only a lad when I saw the 10,000 naked women........".
Honestly, I replayed it a few times.
I know that when I was a lad ONE naked woman would have scared me half to death.

Shalom [email protected]
And the Truth Shall Set You Free http://www.whatreallyhappened.com

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”