On Gas Vans

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Hebden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

On Gas Vans

Postby Hebden » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun May 11, 2003 5:23 am)

This is directed principally to Mr. Scott Smith:

In all the evidence adduced for the existence of gas vans in the book Nazi Mass Murder the only two names for the vehicles which crop up are Saurer and Diamond.

Excuse our ignorance, but do such designations refer to maunfacturers of vans or trucks or more specifically to the make of engine?

Perhaps dependent on the answer to the first question, are Saurer and Diamond vehicles always diesel-powered?

Scott
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: On Gas Vans

Postby Scott » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun May 11, 2003 7:03 pm)

Hebden wrote:This is directed principally to Mr. Scott Smith:

In all the evidence adduced for the existence of gas vans in the book Nazi Mass Murder the only two names for the vehicles which crop up are Saurer and Diamond.

Excuse our ignorance, but do such designations refer to maunfacturers of vans or trucks or more specifically to the make of engine?

Perhaps dependent on the answer to the first question, are Saurer and Diamond vehicles always diesel-powered?

I have never found an example of a Saurer that was not diesel powered, although one cannot rule out the possibility. Sometimes the word Saurer was a euphemism for a diesel engine, however.

Here is a Saurer bus...

And a Saurer moving van...

Here is a Borgward Diamond-Diesel...

And here are some other interesting German diesels...

Here is a Büssing-NAG 4.5 ton, which is a service vehicle for a V-2 rocket battery. It is called a "gas generator van," which I think means an air-compressor, although I don't have the German text. John Milsom calls it a "mobile oxygen-nitrogen generator" and lists it as a Kfz 44.

Here's another Büssing diesel. I don't know what the use was--probably killing people!
:wink:

In the case of Diamond, this brand was well-known for its diesel trucks, Diamond-Diesel. However, I have found numerous examples of Diamond trucks used by the Germans which were NOT diesel.

Below is a picture of a Borgward Diamond-Diesel and the one below that runs on Benzin (gasoline).

It is scanned from page 29 of Trucks of the Wehrmacht, by Reinhard Frank. Schiffer (1994). ISBN: 0887406866, available from Amazon by CLICKING HERE!

Hope this helps.
:)

Sailor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Sailor » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun May 11, 2003 8:59 pm)

Scott wrote: Here is a Büssing-NAG 4.5 ton, which is a service vehicle for a V-2 rocket battery. It is called a "gas generator van," which I think means an air-compressor, although I don't have the German text. John Milsom calls it a "mobile oxygen-nitrogen generator" and lists it as a Kfz 44.

This may be of interest about gas generators in Germany:

1. A gas generator is a device to produce a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen through elrctrolysis for welding and soldering. It is possible that such a gas mixture was also used to start the V-2 rockets and that this truck had the necessary equipment for such use.

2. A gas generator is the name for device that used to produce combustible gas to drive automobiles in Germant during WWII. Here is a book:

GAS GENERATOR RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT IN GERMANY DURING WORLD WAR II
ISBN 0-910667-49-7
This book describes and shows pictures and schematic drawings of GAS GENERATORS that when charged with burning carbonaceous material such as wood chips, coal, charcoal, peat, etc., generate a combustible gas that functions as a fuel in internal combustion engines that would normally be run on expensive foreign gasoline or diesel fuel.

This book is in part a reprint accompanied by an American translation, of an original German book published in Berlin during the Third Reich of Adolf Hitler in 1943. Its purpose during World War II was to acquaint interested technicians, researchers and the German public with gas generators which could be built cheaply from non-strategic materials and mounted in or on ordinary cars, trucks, busses and tractors.

Loaded with wood / coal / peat / charcoal, these devices generated a combustible gas that fueled the engines of many vehicles that had been idled by the lack of liquid gasoline and diesel fuel in war-time Germany.

In an era of ever-increasing gasoline and diesel fuel prices, details of how these German gas generators were developed and how they functioned will be of special interest to many Americans in the first decades of the 21st century.
Full-color laminated softcover, 56 pages, 11 x 8-1/2 inch (28 x 22 cm) format; 20 copies per case, US suggested retail price $20.00 barcoded.

3. Mattogno/Deana and I think also Eng. Prüfer used the term “gas generator” for the coke ovens that produced the super-heated gas for the cremation ovens.

Sailor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Sailor » 1 decade 6 years ago (Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:19 pm)

The exhaust fumes from diesel gas vans which were supplied by Saurer were allegedly the murder weapons used in the extermination camp of Chelmno.

Odd is the wide range of victims as quoted for this camp by the various historians:

From 11,000 (Reitlinger) to 360,000 (Gilbert).

Traces of mass graves of this camp were apparently not found either.

Wie war das in Kulmhof/Chelmno? (How was that in Kulmhof/Chelmno)
http://vho.org/VffG/1999/4/Weckert425_437.html

fge

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 6 years ago (Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:54 pm)

Nice thread here on the alleged & silly 'gas vans':

http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=73

- H.
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Scott
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Scott » 1 decade 6 years ago (Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:48 am)

Here's the photo of the Diamond diesel and Diamond petrol trucks that did not show above. I could not edit the post.

:D

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”