"Jankiel Wiernik" and his flawed memory

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
The Merovingian

"Jankiel Wiernik" and his flawed memory

Postby The Merovingian » 1 decade 4 years ago (Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:35 pm)

According to the legend, right after "Jankiel Wiernik" fled the "death camp" Treblinka thanks to the "uprising" there on August 2, 1943, and he reached Warsaw, he found shelter at the home of a Polish newspaper editor. Eventually this man gave him a forged Aryan identity too.

The writer was named Stefan Krzywoszewski.

Alexander Donat stated so:

From The Death Camp Treblinka - A Documentary Edited by Alexander Donat (Holocaust Library - New York - 1979)

Image Image

And so did the former minister of Poland Władisław Bartoswezski in his foreword to the reprint of the book:

From Rok w Treblince - A Year in Treblinka by Jankiel Wiernik (Rada Ochrony Pamięci Walk i Męczeństwa - Warszawa 2003)

Image Image

So "Jankiel Wiernik" was saved by Stefan Krzywoszewski.
Interestingly, during the Eichmann trial (Session 66), a man introducing himself as "Jankiel Wiernik" testified and said:
http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/e/eic ... 66-04.html
Presiding Judge: Dr. Servatius, do you have any questions to
the witness?

Dr. Servatius: No, I have no questions to the witness.

Attorney General: I ask the Court to accept these photographs as exhibits and to number them. They may be rolled up. We presented them here so that the witnesses would be able to identify them. It is, of course, the same model, but photographed from two different angles.

Presiding Judge: These will be exhibits T/1301 and T/1302. I would request a Hebrew translation, and also one in a language with which Dr. Servatius is familiar, concerning the Polish markings on the sketch.

Attorney General: I understand that it belongs to T/1300.

Presiding Judge: Yes.

Judge Halevi: Did you join the underground?

Witness Wiernik: In Treblinka? Certainly. I was the liaison between the one camp and the other.

Q. I mean after the escape - which underground did you join after the escape?

A. After I escaped, I came to Warsaw. I had a Christian acquaintance, and I went to him - he was a writer named Stefan Przibishevski.

Attorney General: I am aware of these matters. This will undoubtedly help the witness. He has a certificate from the Polish Armia Ludowa, of which he was a member. And that will clarify the situation. If the Court is interested, he can hand it in.

Judge Halevi: I understood that you made your sketch during that period?

Attorney General: He has a certificate. It will immediately explain to which underground he belonged.

Witness Wiernik: I worked for the Warsaw municipality after my return.

Attorney General: The underground pseudonym of the witness appears there, as well as his real name, in order to certify that he was a member of the Polish People's Army, the Armia Ludowa.

Judge Halevi: [to witness] When you were a member of the Armia Ludowa, was it then that you drew this sketch?

Witness Wiernik: I prepared it when I was working in Warsaw in the Tashitza Palace. The SS was there on the one side, and I was a night watchman against air attacks - I also have a certificate about that. I used to sit there at night. Nobody disturbed me, and I gradually made that sketch.

Q. Do you remember in what month and what year you drew this sketch?

A. It was in 1944. It took a long time. I also wrote A Year in Treblinka. In 1944, it was already in America, via the underground.

Attorney General: The brochure about Treblinka was published both in Polish and in English.

Judge Halevi: Did you make the sketch only as a memento or for some practical purpose?

Witness Wiernik: I made my notes while I was still in the camp. I made notes of everything. I saw that nothing was known about the camp, so I wrote A Year in Treblinka.

Q. And you handed over all the material to the underground for their use?

A. They sent it over. I wrote it in Polish, and it was published in Warsaw at the beginning of 1944, in ten or twelve thousand copies. And the copies were sent over to America. They were sent to London. Professor Garka received the copies and sent them on to America.

So we have a man, who is said to be "Jankiel Wiernik", who has plenty of certificates, but who is unable to remember the name of his saviour, Stefan Krzywoszewski. Moreover he was also, says the legend, the bailiff of Krzywoszewski before his deportation. He is confusing him with the famous Polish writer Stanisław Przybyszewski who died in 1927.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przybyszewski

Conclusion: it is hard to believe that the man posing as "Jankiel Wiernik" during the Eichmann trial ever knew Stefan Krzywoszewski.

-----------
The Merovingian, formerly "Pauvre France"
Last edited by The Merovingian on Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 4 years ago (Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:31 pm)

I could imagine getting two writers mixed up.

But if one of them had taken me in off the street after I'd escaped from a death camp, let me stay in his house, I don't think I would then confuse him with another writer.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”