The Holocaust as a Jewish cultural icon

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Braveheart

The Holocaust as a Jewish cultural icon

Postby Braveheart » 1 decade 6 years ago (Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:31 pm)

One of the reasons that Jews cling so tightly to the Holocaust story, and one of the reasons that we are continuously reminded of it in the news and entertainment media, is because it gives all Jews a common cause to rally together. Orthodox Jews, Reform Jews, atheist Jews - they may disagree on several issues, but hardly any of them would ever renounce allegiance to the Holy of Holies, the H-locaust.

I can recall, in the recent past as a college student, every year the Jewish students living in the "Hillel House" (I believe that is what it was called) would hold a Holocaust commemoration. And every year, there would be a sizable crowd gathered there on a particular night, each person holding a candle to commemorate the Jewish victims of the Holocaust.

Now during the rest of the school year, the Hillel House was just your average student living quarters, where only Jewish students devoted to Judaism lived. Other than Holocaust Night, the only time I ever saw any type of crowd or activity was when the Jewish students held bake sales, selling cupcakes and muffins "to benefit Israel". Of course, many dumb goys stopped by and bought baked goods, all in an effort to assist the poor, persecuted Chosen People in their fight against the Islamic hordes.

But I digress - my point is that although the Hilllel House was not frequented by many Jewish students during the school year, on Holocaust Night dozens and dozens of them would assemble in front of the house, and get all emotional and teary-eyed, with visions of barbed wire and "Arbeit Macht Frei" dancing though their heads.

Not only does the Holocaust serve as the rasion d'etre of Israel, not only is the Holocau$t a profitable business enterprise in the film and publishing industries, but it functions to keep Jews united as a unique community.

On June 22, 2000, the New Jersey Star-Ledger newspaper published the results of a survery of Jews by Bethamie Horowitz, Ph.D, which she called "Connections and Journeys". A group of Jews was asked the question: "There are many ways of being Jewish. How much, if at all, are the following factors important to your Jewishness?"

The respondents could rate the factors as "A lot", "Somewhat", "Only a little", and "Not at all".

Only 20% of Jews said that "studying Jewish texts" mattered "a lot" to their Jewishness.

Only 25% of Jews said that "attending synagogue" mattered "a lot" to their Jewishness.

Only 27% of Jews said that "observing Jewish law (halacha)" mattered "a lot".

Only slightly more than half, 54%, said that "believing in God" mattered a lot.

In contrast, a whopping 73% said that "remembering the Holocaust" mattered "a lot" to their Jewishness. The commemoration of the Holocaust was the highest rated factor of being Jewish.

So much for the argument that being Jewish is only a religious affiliation.

Turpitz
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Turpitz » 1 decade 6 years ago (Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:13 pm)

And of course it is also a vicious cudgel that is used without predjudice to anyone or anything, that should dare put the livelihood of their sacred cow in jeopardy.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”