Italy approves Holocaust denial law?

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Sushicotto

Italy approves Holocaust denial law?

Postby Sushicotto » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:53 am)

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/817994.html

Italy approves law making Holocaust denial a crime
By DPA
Last update - 21:35 25/01/2007

Italy's government Thursday approved a bill that makes denying the Holocaust a crime and stiffens prison sentences for those found guilty of inciting racial hatred.

The decree, submitted by Justice Minister Clemente Mastella, received unanimous approval by the Romano Prodi cabinet. Italy will celebrate Holocaust Memorial Day on Saturday.

Ministry officials said those found guilty of spreading ideas about a race being superior to another would now risk up to three years in prison while acts designed to incite racial, ethnic, religious or sexual violence would be punishable with a maximum four- year prison sentence.

Initially conceived to target Holocaust deniers, the bill was broadened to include all forms of intolerance after some members of Prodi's centre-left coalition had expressed reservations about the appropriateness of using the criminal code to honour the millions of Jews killed in the Shoah.

Will Carlo Mattogno no longer be protected from jail?
"Those unaware are unaware of being unaware." (Merrill Jenkins)

Laurentz Dahl
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Laurentz Dahl » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:43 am)

Utterly shameful.

It would take a fool to find anything racist, or even slightly political, in the dry and brilliant studies of Mattogno.

I'm not very familiar with the Italian system of legislation however. Now when the bill has been approved by the leftwingers in government, does it have to be ratified by the parliament, or at least checked against the constitution, before it becomes an actual law?

This is probably an important step on the way to anti-revisionist laws encompassing all of Europe. From now on, the only major EU member state without laws is the UK. It will make the rest of the dirty work easier for the lobbyists.

nina

Postby nina » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:58 am)

I'm from Italy and I would like to tell you that I read the new law and it doesn't say a word about the Holocaust revisionists or denyal...
Everybody thought that it was going to be a law against revisionism,but it only speaks about incitment to racial hate and apologia of crime against humanity.
:wink: it seems that we're still free of questioning the Holocaust !! (mm ''free'' it' s a big word )

sorry for my English

Laurentz Dahl
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Laurentz Dahl » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:08 am)

nina wrote:I'm from Italy and I would like to tell you that I read the new law and it doesn't say a word about the Holocaust revisionists or denyal...
Everybody thought that it was going to be a law against revisionism,but it only speaks about incitment to racial hate and apologia of crime against humanity.
:wink: it seems that we're still free of questioning the Holocaust !! (mm ''free'' it' s a big word )

sorry for my English

No problem. Thank you for your comment.

"apologia of crime against humanity" - I guess that could be twisted by perverse minds in power to mean just about anything, including scholarly volumes on the capacity of crematory ovens...

Radar
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Radar » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:19 am)

"A race being superior to another race"? We're home free if that is the standard of the new law. Somehow I think there must be a hook somewhere.

Also, wouldn't Zionism fall afoul of this new statute?

Laurentz Dahl
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Laurentz Dahl » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:58 am)

Radar wrote:Also, wouldn't Zionism fall afoul of this new statute?

No, because some animals are more equal than others.

Especially those who roll in the mud with crocodile tears in their silverdollar eyes. :)

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 2 years ago (Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:19 pm)

It seems it will be in the hands of any judges who get the cases. Of course, a Revisionist would have to be arrested for so called 'racial hatred' in the first place, which could be problematical since there is no specific 'holocaust' nonsense mentioned in the law. No doubt Italian Revisionist, Carlo Mattogno's fate will be the 'canary in the mine'.

If it does eventually include 'holocaust denial', I wonder if prosecution will include work done before the passing of the law? ... aka: ex post facto.

Read below.

- Hannover

excerpt:
Justice minister Clemente Mastella had initially proposed a law specifically targeting Holocaust denial but top coalition partners including education minister Fabio Mussi and culture minister Francesco Rutelli rejected the plan, saying education in schools was the solution rather than turning denial of the Shoah into a crime.

Italy's government makes racial hatred a crime

www.ejpress.org/article/13393

EJP Updated: 26/Jan/2007 17:17

ROME (EJP)--- After lengthy negotiations, Italy’s centre-left coalition government has approved Thursday a bill making racial hatred a crime and stiffening prison sentences for those found guilty of inciting racial hatred. But it makes no reference to Holocaust denial.

The decree, submitted by Justice Minister Clemente Mastella, received unanimous approval by the Romano Prodi’s government.

The decree, which was originally meant to bring Italy in line with European countries such as Austria, Germany, Spain, Belgium or France, makes no reference in its final draft to denial of the extermination of six million Jews during World War II.

Education

Justice minister Clemente Mastella had initially proposed a law specifically targeting Holocaust denial but top coalition partners including education minister Fabio Mussi and culture minister Francesco Rutelli rejected the plan, saying education in schools was the solution rather than turning denial of the Shoah into a crime.

It instead reinstates a 1993 decree - scrapped in 2006 by the previous conservative government of Silvio Berlusconi - which punishes with up to three years in jail "anyone publicising theories of racial superiority" and with up to four years in prison "anyone committing or inciting to commit discriminatory acts for racial, ethnic, national, religious, sexual or gender motives."

Officials at the justice ministry said Thursday that magistrates will be key in interpreting the new law and establish whether denying the Holocaust can be considered a form of propaganda of racial hatred and thus be punished with a jail sentence.

Italy will celebrate Holocaust Memorial Day on Saturday.

The decree must now be approved by the Italian parliament before it becomes law.

Italian Jewish leaders welcomed the decision and expressed hope that other European countries would do the same.

Germany, which currently holds the European Union’s rotating presidency, is pushing to make denying the Holocaust a EU-wide crime in all member states.

Holocaust Memorial Day will be celebrated in Italy on Saturday.
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”