Deutsche Welle readers on criminalizing 'Holocaust Denial'

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Deutsche Welle readers on criminalizing 'Holocaust Denial'

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 3 years ago (Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 pm)

From Germany's Deutsche Welle. Are people losing their fear of judeo-supremacists?

- Hannover

Compiled by DW staff (kjb) | www.dw-world.de | © Deutsche Welle.

Readers Debate Criminalizing Holocaust Denial in the EU
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 ... 45,00.html

Visitors came to the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin Saturday for the national memorial dayVisitors came to the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin Saturday for the national memorial day

Jan. 27 was Holocaust Memorial Day in Germany. Meanwhile, Germany's efforts to criminalize Holocaust denial in the EU are increasing coming up against resistance. See what other readers had to say on the matter.

The basic idea of the principle of free speech is that you have a right, issuing from your dignity as a human being, to say what you honestly think is true. Those who believe in the arguments of Holocaust revisionism meet this criterion. There is very good evidence behind these arguments and those who support them are intellectually honest. They are not hateful propagandists. If the EU makes holocaust denial a crime, it makes itself a criminal against Classical Liberalism and the dignity of man. - Kendra Blewitt, San Francisco

How can one deny the Holocaust? It happened. How can one not admit the existence of Israel? There it is. But how long do we have to cow-tow to the wishes of the Israelis? Just get over it. - James Wilder, US

These laws prohibiting Holocaust skepticism are evil. It is the right of a free people to question their government publicly. The founding fathers of the United States drew upon great European thinkers and philosophers such as Voltaire and John Stuart Mill. European tradition is what today's Europe should espouse, not Stalinist laws to placate interest groups. I cannot express the evil with which I view any law which proscribes my right to believe or not to believe in any aspect of any historical event and to publicly state my opinion. - Joseph Kochanek

Did Nazis carry out systematic murder? In Germany it's a crime to say noBildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: Did Nazis carry out systematic murder? In Germany it's a crime to say no

As long as the European Union does not have a common constitution approved by all its members, it will be difficult to find consensus on the criminalization of Holocaust denial. - Jose Nigrin

The German government has a moral obligation to uphold its constitution, which guarantees any of its citizens the right to free speech. Also, a murder is a crime no matter who commits it. To exempt one group from the rest is a violation of article 14 of the UN's International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. - Rudolf Pueschel

Passing laws that illegalize Holocaust denial is a victory against freedom of speech. - Brad Harris

To put a man at Mr. Zundel's advanced age in jail is criminal to say the least. I thought people were allowed to think. Mr. Zundel chooses to think differently. It isn't a crime. How many people will Germany put in jail for thinking or writing books? Shame! - Sheila Fox

Merely expressing one's opinion or belief, or even ignorance, will not change what has already happened and will also not make a non-occurrence an occurrence. In this light, such a ban is laughable and infantile. It also shows that the EU is held hostage by Jewish groups and lobbies. Moreover, it is now 2007 and everyone has got over the World War Two itch, other than Germany, that is. There are far more pressing issues to be taken care of than this pet obsession. If the government wants to be a stooge to the Jewish lobby, then it is up to its members to decide, but it can at no point of time force others to subscribe to its point of view. - Suvrajit Saha

Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Poland, Romania and Spain already have laws against Holocaust denial

Sixty years after the war's end, Nazism is again rearing its ugly head: jailing people for their speech, laws against free thought and burning books. How can you people be so stupid? Do you really think you are any different then Hitler? - Lynda, UK

What the hell is wrong with Germany? They have been sitting around like a whipped puppy since World War Two. Germany needs to openly look at the issue of the Holocaust. There is sufficient evidence that all the claims are not true. Germany has zero national pride. You need to act like the father land and stand strong and see to what is best for your nation. You have so much to offer God's world. You first need to break this "Holocaust poison" that has ruined your spirit as a people. - Andrew
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Revquery

Postby Revquery » 1 decade 3 years ago (Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:00 pm)

I have been struck in the past year or so by how common criticism, and mockery, of Israel and its defenders has become, as well as mockery of the entire ADL "they're out to get us" mentality. Some of this mockery is coming from Jews who pointedly reject the attitudes of their leadership, or parents, and/or grandparents.

This is a big change. Ten years ago, criticism of Israel or the Holocaust often came packaged with blatant prejudice, and was in any case rare. No more. Now it's just calling things as they are, and it is common.

Also, in terms of the Holocaust, it's surprising how common the "get over it" mentality has become; most of this expressed by people who have idea whether the six million gas chamber story is true, or not. I think the general feeling is, whether it's true, or untrue, it's certainly no longer relevant.

On the subject of mockery, I have to make a recommendation for the Plymouth Rock Institute of Research at www.prir2.blogspot.com If you read it through, and follow all the links, it's completely hysterical.

driansmith

Postby driansmith » 1 decade 3 years ago (Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:37 pm)

I write to DW nearly every time they invite comments in response to an article on revisionist-related issues. To date, not a single post of mine has been published. I'd suggest that they publish only a very small sample of revisionist views so that the impression is created that it represents the position of only a very small minority.

Mannstein
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Mannstein » 1 decade 3 years ago (Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:23 pm)

My experience with Deutsche Welle parallels Driansmith's . But then one can't expect anything else from a German gov't funded propaganda mouth piece.

PotPie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby PotPie » 1 decade 2 years ago (Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:15 am)

Mannstein wrote:My experience with Deutsche Welle parallels Driansmith's . But then one can't expect anything else from a German gov't funded propaganda mouth piece.

A government-funded propaganda mouthpiece is exactly what Deutsche Welle is. I used to regularly leave feedback on stories and rip them a new one, of course nothing I said got published. Their boundaries of acceptable material are pretty reined in.

DW is a liberal-to-left social Marxist politically correct outlet that presents Germany as they want it to be. They are molders who are trying to handle the German people as wet clay.

I got so sick of their PC crap that I quit reading that website altogether. If I want to listen to German-language programming, I go to Swissinfo, which is PC but not nearly as dogmatic as DW.

PotPie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby PotPie » 1 decade 2 years ago (Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:18 am)

driansmith wrote:I write to DW nearly every time they invite comments in response to an article on revisionist-related issues. To date, not a single post of mine has been published. I'd suggest that they publish only a very small sample of revisionist views so that the impression is created that it represents the position of only a very small minority.

If your words are too un-PC you will be filtered out. They don't have a high tolerance level for intolerance.. AHAHAHAHAH :P

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”