Holocaust scholar: 'Jew', a curse word among German youth.

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Kiwichap
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Holocaust scholar: 'Jew', a curse word among German youth.

Postby Kiwichap » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:38 pm)

Holocaust scholar: 'Jew' has become curse word among German youth

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/943953.html
German schools are failing in educating students about the Holocaust, a new study by a political education center has found, as German youth, who one historian said use the word "Jew" as a common curse in daily discourse, are increasingly distant from the suffering of the victims of Nazism.

According to a study commissioned by the Federal Agency for Civic Education, a political education center known by its German acronym BPB, history courses no longer manage to teach Germany's younger generation of the horrors of the Nazis.

In the report, which appeared in the German educational magazine Focus-Shula, teachers are quoted as saying that they are having trouble impressing upon school children the horrors of the Holocaust, and have stated that their tools for teaching about the Shoah are not effective.

"The entire time we stood before the crematoriums of Auschwitz, the students took more interest in the types of pipes used to pump in the lethal Zyklon B gas, and not the fate of the Nazis victims," a teacher was quoted as saying.

In their words, this generation's students are less sensitive to the horrors of the Holocaust than any before.

The research also examines the role that immigrants have played in the changing attitudes towards the Shoah. Experts are quoted in the study as saying that there is a marked rise in the number of Muslims in Germany, many of whom see the teaching of the Holocaust as a veiled endorsement of the policies of the state of Israel.

"Out of fear of the students' reactions, many of the teachers avoid teaching this chapter of history in order to not be viewed by some students as supporters of Israel."

"The word 'Jew' has turned into one of the most common curse words among students in both east and west Germany," said Gottfried Cosler, a Frankfurt-based Holocaust scholar.

Robert Sigel, a historian who contributed to the study, is of the opinion that students are taking a great interest in the Holocaust, but that the methods in which the subject is taught today are in need of improvement.

"Often time the teachers, especially the more devoted ones, get carried away, and demand way too much of themselves," Sigel told Focus magazine. "They want to teach the facts and at the same time get across a moral message, call for education and tolerance, deal with the extreme right and prevent anti-Semitism. They put all this material into the subject, and it's too much."

Susan Orban, a historian at Yad Vashem, says that the Holocaust should be taught using methods that have proved successful in the past.

"Today's kids live in different times than that of Anne Frank," Orban said. In order to bridge the generational gap, she submits a different approach, "for example, asking them to imagine that they have to abruptly leave their homes and start a new life elsewhere." Such a method, according to Orban, would speak more directly to the children's hearts and minds than descriptions of the horrors of the concentration camp.

Sigel expressed similar sentiments, adding that the children of immigrants have shown particular interest to the victims of Nazism given that many of them suffered from racial persecution, religious intolerance, and even genocide in their native lands.
"The entire time we stood before the crematoriums of Auschwitz, the students took more interest in the types of pipes used to pump in the lethal Zyklon B gas, and not the fate of the Nazis victims," a teacher was quoted as saying.

How do you pump Zyklon diatomacious-earth pellets through pipes? Thats what I would be asking if I was a young German student. Whoops, go to jail. Sorry.
There was no holocaust.

Tit 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Kageki

Postby Kageki » 1 decade 2 years ago (Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 pm)

Now it's pipes?? I thought it was supposedly dropped from the vent holes in the ceiling? Is this even true that "Jew" is used as a curse word?

This whole article comes off a bit crazy to me. How dare these kids not understand the suffering of Jews! The Jews!!!!! I'm getting a sense of desperation from this article. When do we ever get to move on seriously? Anyone want to talk about the real Eisenhower death camps?

Paul der Cherusker

Postby Paul der Cherusker » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:14 am)

Did it ever occur to these people that there may be too much holohoax education? Could it be a "familiarity breeds contempt" sort of thing? The poor kids have heard so much off this crap they just tune it out after awhile.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:01 am)

Kageki wrote:Now it's pipes?? I thought it was supposedly dropped from the vent holes in the ceiling? Is this even true that "Jew" is used as a curse word?
This whole article comes off a bit crazy to me. How dare these kids not understand the suffering of Jews! The Jews!!!!! I'm getting a sense of desperation from this article. When do we ever get to move on seriously? Anyone want to talk about the real Eisenhower death camps?
I suspect that many of those using "Jew" as a curse word are actually no Germans. It seems multiculturalism is going to back fire.

Coder62

Postby Coder62 » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:05 am)

Exactly right, the true stories will never be taught, at least not for a long while sadly.

Coder62.

ClaudiaRothenbach
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby ClaudiaRothenbach » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:59 am)

When I asked my eldest son (14) whether "Jude" (Jew) was a swear word at amongst students he confirmed that some people would use it so.

Also "Opfer" (victim) is used in the same way, even more often.
"Everything has already been said, but not yet by everyone." - Karl Valentin

Kageki

Postby Kageki » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:46 pm)

ClaudiaRothenbach wrote:When I asked my eldest son (14) whether "Jude" (Jew) was a swear word at amongst students he confirmed that some people would use it so.

Also "Opfer" (victim) is used in the same way, even more often.

So it's like calling someone a "jerk" or a "pig" or some other insult?

That is strange. How did it become a swear word?

jnovitz
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby jnovitz » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:58 pm)

young people often say "thats so gay", not exactly a swear word but has negative connotations.

PotPie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby PotPie » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:23 pm)

The double-standard rears its ugly head yet again. How many slur words do Jews use of others? Calling non-Jewish women Shiksas, black people Schvartzes, etc. They probably have a separate dictionary of slur words for Arabs and Muslims.

Interesting that the "never forget" crowd continues to blow off teaching children about Communism's evils lest another Red empire is created. Germans are drubbed in their heads about the importance of not forgetting Fascism, but not only is Communism accepted in Germany, there are many legal Communist parties in the country who recruit and openly agitate. Communists killed more people than the Fascist side ever attempted to, yet there is no social stigma against Communism, nor threats of imprisonment for espousing or disseminating their views. These Jews are flipping nuts.

Bankdraft

Postby Bankdraft » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:19 pm)

"Today's kids live in different times than that of Anne Frank," Orban said. In order to bridge the generational gap, she submits a different approach, "for example, asking them to imagine that they have to abruptly leave their homes and start a new life elsewhere."

I would estimate approximately 50M Europeans did exactly that during that war... and that's not counting the ones who moved to a six-foot hole.

Kageki

Postby Kageki » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:08 pm)

Bankdraft wrote:
"Today's kids live in different times than that of Anne Frank," Orban said. In order to bridge the generational gap, she submits a different approach, "for example, asking them to imagine that they have to abruptly leave their homes and start a new life elsewhere."

I would estimate approximately 50M Europeans did exactly that during that war... and that's not counting the ones who moved to a six-foot hole.

I would like to submit all over the world. Both of my Japanese parents were amongst the millions displaced not because they had to just leave their homes, but because it was destroyed by bombs and they had really nowhere else to go because the country was in ruins. Oh but the evil Japs deserved it ya know?

Also that quote from the article is interesting because it says "start a new life elsewhere" and not that they were exterminated.

You're still right though. It was a WORLD war and many people suffered both Jews and gentiles alike.

Bankdraft

Postby Bankdraft » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:21 pm)

Great point.

I had initially used 100M as my figure (which is probably more accurate) but didn't want to be accused of exaggeration so lowered it to 50M. But you are correct, I did neglect the Pacific theater.

BTW, how come we don't hear a bunch of whining from the Japanese? How come in 1957 (12 years after near total devastation) the Japanese sold the first Datsun in the U.S.?

B

Coder62

Postby Coder62 » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:26 pm)

I would like to submit all over the world. Both of my Japanese parents were amongst the millions displaced not because they had to just leave their homes, but because it was destroyed by bombs and they had really nowhere else to go because the country was in ruins. Oh but the evil Japs deserved it ya know?

Also that quote from the article is interesting because it says "start a new life elsewhere" and not that they were exterminated.

You're still right though. It was a WORLD war and many people suffered both Jews and gentiles alike.

I agree, war is a terrible thing and it is clear who benefited from the outcome of the second world war, the term, "never again" constantly used by Jewish groups should be given to the war, not the so called Holocaust.

- Coder62

Kageki

Postby Kageki » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:10 pm)

Bankdraft wrote:Great point.

I had initially used 100M as my figure (which is probably more accurate) but didn't want to be accused of exaggeration so lowered it to 50M. But you are correct, I did neglect the Pacific theater.

BTW, how come we don't hear a bunch of whining from the Japanese? How come in 1957 (12 years after near total devastation) the Japanese sold the first Datsun in the U.S.?

B

When you lose a war and also viewed as evil, aggressors there isn't much room to complain. I'm sure you realize your sympathetic views and the general atmosphere of this forum is rather unique in the world today. China and Korea for instance would feel otherwise.

I believe the Japanese accept the notion that they lost and essentially "grin and bare" the consequences, but there is "whining". That is essentially trying to repel the vicious Allied propaganda that is considered "official" history similar to what Holocaust revisionism is about. In Japan's case it is regarding the more prominent events that has been at the heart of controversy. The Nanking massacre, "comfort women" and the reasons for the atomic bomb. Really it's about the entirety of WWII, but you get the point.

Otherwise I doubt most people would even care if Japan whined about the aftermath. They instead chose to diligently rebuilt itself and should be rightfully proud of that fact instead of just whining. The propaganda wars is an entirely different matter though which still goes on to this today.

Bankdraft

Postby Bankdraft » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:54 am)

Kageki,

I probably misused the word "whined". I don't believe the German people have whined, I think it is by far and away the Jews who have propagated this thing. It is also my belief that the "Anti Revisionism" laws in Germany are in effect so that Germany may "put this thing behind them" and if a few scientist have to sit in jail to bring that about, the German government is willing to condone it for the greater good of its people.

They recognized that Nuremberg was a joke and that trying to defend themselves would be futile so they just took their licks and rebuilt (and a damn fine job they did).

The Germans are too sophisticated a people to support censorship but they also recognize that they have to move forward in the best way they can. This also explains the billions of dollars that have been extorted from the Germans

I can even understand some "whining" from the Japanese people, especially when the U.S. decides to trot out the Pearl Harbor incident, conveniently forgetting that they (we, I'm American) dropped nuclear weapons on two fully-populated, non-military targets and still portrayed the Japanese are the "bad guys". Make no mistake the Japanese have been besmirched but as far as I know there is no Oriental equivalent of a Jew so the issue has gone away much sooner and with much more civility.

Finally I must confess a general ignorance of Asian history. I do know that the Chinese and the Koreans have suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese for hundreds of years.

Coder62 probably said it best: "War is terrible" but it's made a lot worse when an entire people is slandered.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”