Book challenged by Greg Gerdes at Kohrs Library

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Book challenged by Greg Gerdes at Kohrs Library

Postby Hektor » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:23 am)

It seems to be the Greg Gerdes of http://www.nafcash.com/
Book challenged at Kohrs Library
In Deer Lodge
By Pat Hansen for The Montana Standard - 03/31/2009

DEER LODGE — A personal memoir has been challenged and a request made to have the book removed from the William K. Kohrs Library in Deer Lodge.

The book, challenged by Greg Gerdes of Deer Lodge, is "For Those I Loved," by Martin Gray. The book is a New York Times best-seller first published by Little, Brown & Co. in 1972 and read by more than 30 million people worldwide, according to Barnes & Noble Web site.

In it, Gray, a Polish Jew, tells of how he survived the German invasion, recalls his life in the Warsaw ghetto and Treblinka concentration camp, where his mother and brothers died, his life in the Soviet Army, and the building of a new life in the United States.

In accordance with Kohrs Library policy regarding complaints and censorship, librarian Nancy Silliman read the challenged book and informed Gerdes that she had decided to retain the book in question. Gerdes then appealed her decision to the library board.

Board chairman David Gregory said the board held a hearing to gather information. At that time, Gerdes allegedly claimed the author witnessing the Treblinka concentration camp holocaust is untrue and the book is anti-German hate propaganda.

During the hearing Gerdes presented a statement and showed the board $5,000 in cash saying he would donate it to the library if any one can prove there were graves at Treblinka.

A business card Gerdes gave the board indicates he is president of the National Association of Forensic Historians dedicated to "exposing historical fraud via the scientific method." No phone number was included on the card, but the association's Web site stated, "No matter what anyone thinks about the holocaust per se, one thing is eminently clear — the Treblinka holocaust didn't happen." It goes on to say there is no proof of mass graves, no indication that bodies were burned and that Treblinka was a transit camp where the gas chambers were, in reality, delousing facilities.

Peggy Kerr, president of the Friends of the Library, spoke against banning or censorship at the information- gathering meeting.

John Thompson, a Deer Lodge resident, described the library as a place of choices for the community, saying American people have a right to choose what they want to read.

Gregory said the board is not judging the book nor its contents, but will decide the issue based on three criteria: the library's collection management policy, the basic premise of intellectual freedom, and the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution that guarantees freedom of speech and of the press.

The board will decide the issue at a public meeting at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 16, in the Kohrs Library.

Correspondent Pat Hansen may be reached via e-mail at [email protected].

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=6755327

Also note the section with the comments under the article!

MrNobody
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby MrNobody » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:55 pm)

Well that's really weird, the link points to an article about a "Holocaust" survivor surviving a car jacking!
Wir brauchen eine Bewegung, die Deutschland endlich aus der Kontrolle der Kräfte von Versailles und Jalta befreit, die uns schon ein ganzes Jahrhundert lang von einer Kastastrophe in die andere stürzt.

Helga Zepp-LaRouche.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:17 pm)

MrNobody wrote:Well that's really weird, the link points to an article about a "Holocaust" survivor surviving a car jacking!
OOOOooops. :?

I think this one should point you to the right article on Greg Gerdes and the challenge to the library:

http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2009 ... jagjhh.txt

Note the comments under the article.

MrNobody
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby MrNobody » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:29 pm)

yup, the comments section just proves how hard it is to get the message across to people that are dumber than dumb.
Wir brauchen eine Bewegung, die Deutschland endlich aus der Kontrolle der Kräfte von Versailles und Jalta befreit, die uns schon ein ganzes Jahrhundert lang von einer Kastastrophe in die andere stürzt.

Helga Zepp-LaRouche.

PotPie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby PotPie » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:53 am)

Unfortunately neither libraries nor publishers keep track of books which have been exposed as frauds. My local library still carries a copy of "Benjamin Wilkomirski's" laughable fraud Fragments.

MrNobody
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby MrNobody » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:04 am)

Also note :

Gregory said the board is not judging the book nor its contents, but will decide the issue based on three criteria: the library's collection management policy, the basic premise of intellectual freedom, and the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution that guarantees freedom of speech and of the press.

So there you have it, the Author could freely admit to it being nothing more than a pack of lies filled with hate speech against the German people & these clowns would still be more than happy to have the book on the shelf, sighting the freedoms under the US constitution.

Helga Zepp-LaRouche.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:06 am)

MrNobody wrote:....

So there you have it, the Author could freely admit to it being nothing more than a pack of lies filled with hate speech against the German people & these clowns would still be more than happy to have the book on the shelf, sighting the freedoms under the US constitution.
Will they also retain Revisionist books in the library? If not, ask them for a reason. If it is "Antisemitism" then ask them why they've got piles of Anti-German books in their library. I mean this as a general issue.

ASMarques
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby ASMarques » 1 decade 2 years ago (Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:33 pm)

This sort of thing is a very bad idea.

One should never ever ask for any books to be withdrawn from readers.

Zündel -- bless him for his efforts and courage on behalf of revisionism and his own country -- also fell into this sort of trap once, when he tried to have a movie banned in Canada on the grounds that it was offensive to Germans. The gesture was intended, of course, to bring attention to the fact that Germans -- indeed white Europeans in general -- are never recognized by the laws that in theory are supposed to "protect" all racial or cultural groups. It didn't mean Zündel himself was in favor of such laws; only that, besides being intolerable as censorship, the law was not even equally applied. Instead of the result he aimed at, what he achieved was simply to expose his own flank and give ground to his enemies who accused him -- quite unfairly, but with some logic -- of being a proponent of censorship himself.

Well, I for one find this sort of request not only offensive on the simple ground of principle, but incredibly short-sighted from the tactical viewpoint.

If you go for this sort of thing, then don't complain when libraries get rid of revisionist books on the (truthful) grounds that historians in general don't acknowledge the "Holocaust" and the gas chambers as false and pseudo-historical in nature. If you're asking for it, don't complain when you do get it for yourself.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 1 decade 2 years ago (Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:22 pm)

ASMarques wrote:This sort of thing is a very bad idea.

One should never ever ask for any books to be withdrawn from readers.

Zündel -- bless him for his efforts and courage on behalf of revisionism and his own country -- also fell into this sort of trap once, when he tried to have a movie banned in Canada on the grounds that it was offensive to Germans. The gesture was intended, of course, to bring attention to the fact that Germans -- indeed white Europeans in general -- are never recognized by the laws that in theory are supposed to "protect" all racial or cultural groups. It didn't mean Zündel himself was in favor of such laws; only that, besides being intolerable as censorship, the law was not even equally applied. Instead of the result he aimed at, what he achieved was simply to expose his own flank and give ground to his enemies who accused him -- quite unfairly, but with some logic -- of being a proponent of censorship himself.
And Nizkor also immediately picked up on this:
http://www2.ca.nizkor.org/features/qar/qar64.html
http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/z/zun ... ndler.html

ASMarques wrote:Well, I for one find this sort of request not only offensive on the simple ground of principle, but incredibly short-sighted from the tactical viewpoint.

If you go for this sort of thing, then don't complain when libraries get rid of revisionist books on the (truthful) grounds that historians in general don't acknowledge the "Holocaust" and the gas chambers as false and pseudo-historical in nature. If you're asking for it, don't complain when you do get it for yourself.
The one doesn't follow from the other, on grounds that you can be opposed to the one, while being in favor of the other. I must however admit that I had some mixed feelings on this. But then this was just about getting rid of the book in the inventory. Which still can be misunderstood of course.

On the other hand it might be a good idea to require Holocaustian books to be removed from lists of mandatory books on school syllabi.

MrNobody
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby MrNobody » 1 decade 2 years ago (Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:26 pm)

Better to insist that all these "Personal Holocaust Stories" be re-categorized under the Fiction or Fantasy Section.

Helga Zepp-LaRouche.

ASMarques
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby ASMarques » 1 decade 2 years ago (Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:52 pm)

MrNobody wrote:Better to insist that all these "Personal Holocaust Stories" be re-categorized under the Fiction or Fantasy Section.

Excellent point! And I'm laughing but not joking. :) It's actually a good idea.

Hektor wrote:On the other hand it might be a good idea to require Holocaustian books to be removed from lists of mandatory books on school syllabi.

That's quite different and to me it goes without saying. Especially in countries where the constitutional law requires state and religion to be separate, and schools/programs are largely under the aegis of the state. If anyone wants to "teach the Holocaust," let him "teach it" in his local yeshivah, not the supposedly lay schools.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 2 years ago (Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:58 am)

It's kind of incredible that someone from this forum did that. I always thought "Greg Gerdes" was a fake name. I guess not. I'm impressed.

Inquisitive
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Inquisitive » 1 decade 2 years ago (Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:08 am)

I've another idea. Leave the Holocaust books right where they are (prominently displayed preferably). For each of those have a revisionist book right along side it.

Aren't they the "revisionists" after all? Zundel and the others are the true historians not the other way around. All you'd be asking then is to take a look at the facts that have been suppressed. Shouldn't be a problem for truth seekers :)

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 2 years ago (Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:15 pm)

I'm impressed that he can come out and publicly do something. I wouldn't be in favor of removing the book, but putting it into fiction as people have mentioned would be good.

I'm not sure but I don't think the guy who wrote it is considered to be a treblinka survivor by other sources. In other words it may be a lie outside the lie.

Of course the biggest library incident would be David McCalden in the late 80's early 90's when his opportunity to have a display table at the California Library Association's banned books exhibit, was revoked and he sued, getting a settlement after his death.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 2 years ago (Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:04 pm)

I looked up this book on the IHR search engine, and a number of early revisionists commented on it, like Dietlieb Felderer. What I found is that even Jewish holocaust writers called it a fake, like Gitta Sereny in the magazine The New Statesman 11/2/79. See

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v06/v06p479_Rollins.html

What happens is that a book like this is said by some to be a fraud, it then fades away with the intellectual crowd (Yitzhak Arad's book on Treblinka doesn't use it as a source) but there it sits for many years in the provincial library, with the occasional student using it's misinformation for a book report.

It's funny how a book on Israel had the same problem: From Time Immemorial by Joan Peters, until Norman Finkelstein debunked it and Peters faded away.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”