Where does 'Israel' come from?

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
allgood

Where does 'Israel' come from?

Postby allgood » 1 decade 1 year ago (Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:44 pm)

The more I think about issues surrounding the so-called 'Holocaust', I see it as a case of Madison Av & Hollywood techniques applied to modern politics.

'Branding' has been crucially important. Developing the idea of a 'Holocaust', and labelling anyone who raises questions a 'Holocaust' Denier', has been a brilliant (although very cynical) use of advertizing technique.

I think I understand where the word 'Holocaust' comes from - and when it was introduced. It would certainly be interesting to get some references about that in case I've missed them.

But my main question is this: where does the brand name 'Israel' come from? At what time in history did it become clear that Zionists had chosen that specific name for their hoped-for 'Jewish State' in Palestine?

Does anyone have references on this?

Lupa

Re: Where does 'Israel' come from?

Postby Lupa » 1 decade 1 year ago (Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:05 am)

allgood wrote:The more I think about issues surrounding the so-called 'Holocaust', I see it as a case of Madison Av & Hollywood techniques applied to modern politics.

'Branding' has been crucially important. Developing the idea of a 'Holocaust', and labelling anyone who raises questions a 'Holocaust' Denier', has been a brilliant (although very cynical) use of advertizing technique.

I think I understand where the word 'Holocuast' comes from - and when it was introduced. It would certainly be interesting to get some references about that in case I've missed them.

But my main question is this: where does the brand name 'Israel' come from? At what time in history did it become clear that Zionists had chosen that specific name for their hoped-for 'Jewish State' in Palestine?

Does anyone have references on this?

I recommend a lecture :

The Controversy of Zion

by DOUGLAS REED

http://knud.eriksen.adr.dk/Controversybook/

This book is banned in most countries of the world.

The story starts 3000 years ago.....

8)

allgood

Re: Where does 'Israel' come from?

Postby allgood » 1 decade 1 year ago (Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:49 pm)

Lupa

Thank you. I think it was reading The Controversy of Zion that led me to wonder about this in the first place.

I checked it out again, but as far as I can see Douglas Reed raises the issue of what an unsuitbale name 'Israel' is for a 'Jewish State', but doesn't say (perhaps he didn't know) when the word came to be used and who first started using it. If this information is inside the The Controversy of Zion, I'm sorry, I must have missed it.

As far as I can see, right up until the early 1940s no-one used the word Israel to describe the Jewish State that Zionists wanted to create. Was there any public debate about the name within the Zionist movement?

I'm also interested, if anyone cares to share them, in references on how the word 'Holocaust' first came into use (that is, 'Holocaust' meaning atrocities against Jews during the Second World War). I've read some material on this, but I'd like to know more. Does anyone know for sure the very first time the word was used in this way?

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”