Reichsmark Bonuses to Auschwitz Jews in 1944

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Friedrich Paul Berg
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Reichsmark Bonuses to Auschwitz Jews in 1944

Postby Friedrich Paul Berg » 9 years 8 months ago (Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 pm)

On a website from the Memorial and Museum Auschwitz-Birkenau, Historical pictures and documents at:

http://en.auschwitz.org.pl/m/index.php? ... &Itemid=17

The very first image gives the names of 9 Jews who were paid bonuses in Reichsmarks for their work at a fishpond in 1944 where 50 prisoners had worked on August 19, 1944. No doubt, if they were paid "bonuses" in Reichsmarks, their regular pay for that work was probably in Reichsmarks also. The fact that Jews were paid at all and not simply beaten and whipped, or worse, to get them to do the work flies in the face of the usual propaganda and lies with which we are deluged every day. Of course, the gas chambers were supposedly still working at full capacity at that time. The fishpond would have almost certainly been somewhere outside the gated Birkenau or Auschwitz barracks areas--and would have been ideal for escape if anyone had really wanted to escape.

Note that the sixth column from the left has the letters "RM" at the top which is a standard German abbreviation for Reichsmarks. The second internee mentioned is Prisoner no. 109580, David Lewi who was paid a bonus of 2 Reichsmarks. The rest of the nine prisoners were paid bonuses of 1 Reichsmark.

Friedrich Paul Berg
Learn everything at http://www.nazigassings.com
Nazi Gassings Never Happened! Niemand wurde vergast!
The Holocaust story is a hoax because 1) no one was killed by the Nazis in gas chambers, 2) the total number of Jews who died in Nazi captivity is miniscule compared to what is alleged.

Arsènelupin

Re: Reichsmark Bonuses to Auschwitz Jews in 1944

Postby Arsènelupin » 9 years 8 months ago (Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:37 pm)

An other exemple of absurd behaviour that nazi Germany followed in its extermination policy of Jews. SS used diesel engines to produce carbon monoxide, a tiny elevator to bring thousands of corpses from Birkenau gaschambers to cremation ovens... and paid inmates before to kill them.

Hans
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hans » 9 years 8 months ago (Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm)

Friedrich Paul Berg wrote: No doubt, if they were paid "bonuses" in Reichsmarks, their regular pay for that work was probably in Reichsmarks also.

Mr. Berg, can you show us documents which demonstrate that Jewish inmates in Auschwitz were at all regulary paid? I think this is the relevant question we have to ask before thinking about its currency.

Friedrich Paul Berg
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Friedrich Paul Berg » 9 years 8 months ago (Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm)

I wish I could produce documents showing that Jews were paid regularly but I simply do not have access to the Auschwitz archives which probably do have many such documents.

The above document is quite a surprise. Clearly, at least some Jews were paid in Reichsmarks and not merely in special concentration camp currency. I suspect that was one more reason the vast majority of Auschwitz Jews wanted to go west with the retreating Germans rather than be "liberated" by the Soviets. They were treated well by the Nazis and had no reason to complain.

Friedrich Paul Berg
Learn everything at www.nazigassings.com
The Holocaust story is a hoax because 1) no one was killed by the Nazis in gas chambers, 2) the total number of Jews who died in Nazi captivity is miniscule compared to what is alleged.

Hans
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hans » 9 years 8 months ago (Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm)

Arsènelupin wrote:An other exemple of absurd behaviour that nazi Germany followed in its extermination policy of Jews. SS used diesel engines to produce carbon monoxide, a tiny elevator to bring thousands of corpses from Birkenau gaschambers to cremation ovens... and paid inmates before to kill them.

Jewish prisoners in work details were usually not subjected to an extermination policy. Although in the protocol of the so called Wannsee conference it is suggested regarding Jewish work details that "a large number of them will undoubtedly drop out by way of natural attrition" and although the German minister of justice reported in September 1942 a concept of destruction through labour, namely that Goebbels "has the opinion that Jews and gypsis should be destroyed...the idea of destruction through labour is the best", the need for workers forced the SS into a policy of sustaining Jewish work force in concentration camps in early 1943.
Last edited by Hans on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hans
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hans » 9 years 8 months ago (Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 pm)

Friedrich Paul Berg wrote:The above document is quite a surprise. Clearly, at least some Jews were paid in Reichsmarks and not merely in special concentration camp currency.

Not really. As written in the document, this detail received Prämienscheine with a certain RM value. These Prämienscheine were of course only valid within the concentration camp.

I suspect that was one more reason the vast majority of Auschwitz Jews wanted to go west with the retreating Germans rather than be "liberated" by the Soviets.

Well, actually the vast majority of Auschwitz Jews were forced by the Germans to leave the camp. Only those who were not able to walk themselves were not taken with on the footmarches (obviously) and should have been shot.

Friedrich Paul Berg
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Friedrich Paul Berg » 9 years 8 months ago (Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:00 pm)

Well then, Hans, why did Elie Wiesel and his father freely c-h-o-o-s-e to go west with the retreating Germans in January, 1945?

Why was Primo Levi able and willing to hang back and stay in Auschwitz and NOT be shot or even be afraid of being shot?

Friedrich Paul Berg
Learn everything at www.nazigassings.com

joachim neander
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby joachim neander » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:24 am)

Mr. Berg asks:
Why was Primo Levi able and willing to hang back and stay in Auschwitz and NOT be shot or even be afraid of being shot?

Did you ever read "Se questo è un uomo?"?
Then you will find out that Levi was in the hospital when the evacuation was ordered, that he was severely ill and unable to march, and that he, indeed, was afraid of being shot.
After having recovered a bit, he leaves the hospital barrack in search of food, and he passes by a row of shot prisoners, lying in the snow. So his fears were not at all unfounded.

But I'm afraid you will reject all this as "fantasy."

Arsènelupin

Postby Arsènelupin » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:33 pm)

Hans : you know that the Wannsee protocol is a very strange document wich also forsaw that jews woud built roads accross Europe along the way of their deportation... and, if Goebbels had a lot of antisemitcs thinks (it is proved in his diary), when he said or wrote that the best way for Jews would be the destruction through labour, it does not prove that it has been done.

Friedrich Paul Berg
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Friedrich Paul Berg » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 pm)

In Levi's book Survival in Auschwitz (English edition), we have Primo Levi's words for January 17th, 1945:

It was not a question of reasoning: I would probably also have followed the instinct of the flock if I had not felt so weak: fear is supremely contagious, and its immediate reaction is to make one try to run away.

But he's talking here about running away with the ‘Nazis' and NOT from the Nazis. And these ‘Nazis’ were not mere rank and file party members but supposedly the worst of the worst. He's talking here about running away with the same ‘Nazis’ and SS who had supposedly carried out the greatest imaginable mass murders of Jews and others in the entire history of the universe. He's talking about running away with the people who supposedly did the actual killings of thousands daily for several years. But, according to his own words he would probably have gone with them nonetheless, except that he was not feeling good that day; he was feeling "so weak." The “fear” that he overcame was clearly fear of the Russians and not the ‘Nazis;’ there is no mention of fear of what the ‘Nazis’ and SS might do when the evacuees entered the forest or sometime later.

Surely, if the Nazis had been murdering thousands of Jews per day in Auschwitz, they would keep on murdering thousands of Jews later on as well--at some other location.

Friedrich Paul Berg
Last edited by Friedrich Paul Berg on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuDewan

Postby StuDewan » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 pm)

joachim neander wrote:Mr. Berg asks:

Then you will find out that Levi was in the hospital when the evacuation was ordered, that he was severely ill and unable to march, and that he, indeed, was afraid of being shot.
After having recovered a bit, he leaves the hospital barrack in search of food, and he passes by a row of shot prisoners, lying in the snow. So his fears were not at all unfounded.

Mr. Neander, Mr. Berg also asked about Elie WIesel... will you answer his question or will dodge it?

Stu

Hans
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hans » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:52 pm)

StuDewan wrote:
joachim neander wrote:Mr. Berg asks:

Mr. Neander, Mr. Berg also asked about Elie WIesel... will you answer his question or will dodge it?

Stu

Wiesel too was injured and said he could have been excluded from the foot march, but believed that he would be killed in this case. It is explicitely told in the book Night page 81–82:

'Tomorrow, right after nightfall, the camp will start on its march. Block by block. The sick can remain in the infirmary. They will not be evacuated.' That news made us wonder. Were the SS really going to leave hundreds of prisoners behind in the infirmaries, pending the arrival of their liberators? Were they really going to allow Jews to hear the clock strike twelve? Of course not. 'All the patients will be finished off on the spot,' said the faceless one. 'And in one last swoop, thrown into the furnaces.' 'Surely the camp will be mined,' said another. 'Right after the evacuation, it will all blow up.' As for me, I was thinking not about death but about not wanting to be separated from my father. We had already suffered so much, endured so much together. This was not the moment to separate. I ran outside to look for him. The snow was piled high, the blocks' windows veiled in frost. Holding a shoe in my hand, for I could not put it on my right foot, I ran, feeling neither pain nor cold. 'What are we going to do?' My father didn't answer. 'What are we going to do?' He was lost in thought. The choice was in our hands. For once. We could decide our fate for ourselves. To stay, both of us, in the infirmary, where, thanks to my doctor, he could enter as either a patient or a medic. 'Well, Father, what do we do?' He was silent. 'Let's be evacuated with the others,' I said. He didn't answer. He was looking at my foot. 'You think you'll be able to walk?' 'Yes, I think so.' 'Let's hope we don't regret it, Eliezer.'

Friedrich Paul Berg
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Friedrich Paul Berg » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:18 pm)

Hans should read his own quote from Elie Wiesel much more carefully.

Tomorrow, right after nightfall, the camp will start on its march. Block by block. The sick can remain in the infirmary. They will not be evacuated.' That news made us wonder. Were the SS really going to leave hundreds of prisoners behind in the infirmaries, pending the arrival of their liberators? Were they really going to allow Jews to hear the clock strike twelve? Of course not. 'All the patients will be finished off on the spot,' said the faceless one. 'And in one last swoop, thrown into the furnaces.' 'Surely the camp will be mined,' said another. 'Right after the evacuation, it will all blow up.' As for me, I was thinking not about death but about not wanting to be separated from my father. We had already suffered so much, endured so much together. This was not the moment to separate. I ran outside to look for him. The snow was piled high, the blocks' windows veiled in frost. Holding a shoe in my hand, for I could not put it on my right foot, I ran, feeling neither pain nor cold. 'What are we going to do?' My father didn't answer. 'What are we going to do?' He was lost in thought. The choice was in our hands. For once. We could decide our fate for ourselves. To stay, both of us, in the infirmary, where, thanks to my doctor, he could enter as either a patient or a medic. 'Well, Father, what do we do?' He was silent. 'Let's be evacuated with the others,' I said. He didn't answer. He was looking at my foot. 'You think you'll be able to walk?' 'Yes, I think so.' 'Let's hope we don't regret it, Eliezer.'

Since Elie was not even thinking of death, it is unlikely that he was the least bit worried that he might be shot or gassed or exterminated by the Germans. He clearly rejects the warning from the "faceless one" whoever that was.

Hans' assertion that Elie Wiesel believed he would be killed if he remained in Auschwitz is NOT explicitly told in the book Night at all, anywhere!

Friedrich Paul Berg

Hans
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hans » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:39 pm)

Mr. Berg you missed the part where he says

"That news made us wonder. Were the SS really going to leave hundreds of prisoners behind in the infirmaries, pending the arrival of their liberators? Were they really going to allow Jews to hear the clock strike twelve? Of course not."

They - including Wiesel - believed OF COURSE NOT that the Germans would let them stay behind alive.

Friedrich Paul Berg
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Friedrich Paul Berg » 9 years 8 months ago (Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 pm)

Hans provided the following quote from Elie Wiesel:

That news made us wonder. Were the SS really going to leave hundreds of prisoners behind in the infirmaries, pending the arrival of their liberators? Were they really going to allow Jews to hear the clock strike twelve? Of course not.

From the context it is clear that "us" meant the faceless one and another person and possibly many other people as well--but, NOT Elie Wiesel. Elie Wiesel tells us exactly what his great fear was: As for me, I was thinking n-o-t about death but about not wanting to be separated from my father.

Friedrich Paul Berg

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”