a college student's request for help

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Cloud
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: a college student's request for help

Postby Cloud » 8 years 10 months ago (Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:21 pm)

The Warden wrote:
Balsamo wrote:I don't know if you are aware of it.

But here is the result of the College kid "researches"
http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/cgi/vie ... ors_theses

This could almost have its own thread(s).
There's a lot to pick apart in there.
Of course, we could use the Wiesel approach and ignore it, thereby voiding any credibility of the author. :cheers:

I read her (the OP's) thesis yesterday. It was dull and repetitious. Consider the following:

EN on page 3 wrote:Holocaust deniers are dangerous because they distort information in order to create a lie—effectively inventing their own version of history.

EN on page 3 wrote:Although he does not specifically write Holocaust denial literature, David Irving has been labeled by Deborah Lipstadt as “one of the
most dangerous spokespersons for Holocaust denial.”

EN on page 9 wrote:This illusion of being part of the world of legitimate scholarship is what makes print denial literature dangerous.

EN on page 10 wrote:Rassinier is dangerous as a denier because of his personal experiences.

EN on page 10 wrote:When reading about the Holocaust, the average reader would likely be more apt to believe the words of a survivor rather than information found in a secondary source. This makes Rassinier all the more dangerous.

EN on page 11 wrote:Unlike other “scholarly” works of denial literature, but equally dangerous, is a pamphlet written by the American Holocaust denier Austin J. App.

EN on page 13 wrote:Nearly all deniers use them as a basis for their arguments, thereby making The Six Million Swindel a dangerous piece of denial literature that should not be ignored.

EN on page 13 wrote:This book is dangerous, however, due to its academic façade. While a trained historian might immediately recognize Butz’s book for what it is, an uneducated reader might view the book as authentic and believe his lies.

EN on page 17 wrote:Nevertheless, it does resemble a legitimate scholarly work and could mislead a person into believing its contents—making it a particularly dangerous piece of denial literature.

EN on page 21 wrote:As a Holocaust denial database, Historical Revisionism is particularly dangerous.

EN on page 21 wrote:This is what makes IHR dangerous.

EN on page 23 wrote:These are authors of print denial literature who attempt to mask their work as scholarly—making it more dangerous.

EN on page 24 wrote:Zündel is a dangerous asset in the promotion of Holocaust denial.

EN on page 27 wrote:Although this amateur website might not be effective at promoting denial to most people, as far as these particular deniers are concerned, it was a dangerous tool.

EN on page 34 wrote:In order to judge how dangerous Holocaust denial is, it is important to understand why people are deniers to begin with.

EN on page 37 wrote:In these cases, the denial published on the internet directly resulted in people becoming Holocaust deniers, making it a dangerous asset to Holocaust denial.

EN on page 37 wrote:Although Holocaust denial is dangerous and a form of anti-Semitism, its presence on the internet is not entirely negative.

EN on page 41 wrote:A person can knowingly publish falsehoods online and label it the “truth,” and if the wrong person reads it, they might fall for the lie. Ultimately, the most dangerous aspect of internet denial is this unfortunate fact.

EN on page 41 wrote:However, the central issue is whether or not Holocaust denial is more dangerous now because of the internet.

EN on page 41 wrote:Denial is more dangerous simply because of the nature of the global, almost limitless reach and free publication of the internet.

EN on page 41 wrote:At the same time, it is less dangerous because of a lack of “professionalism” on most denial websites.

EN on page 43 wrote:There is also a third side to the question of whether or not Holocaust denial is more dangerous because of the internet and it neither positively nor negatively affects denial.

So that's *twenty two* occurrences of the word "dangerous" in her thesis describing revisionism. Now, I've read close to twenty Holocaust Handbooks and yet I still have not encountered any real danger to my life. The only "danger" however, is that I may be incarcerated for having them (depending on where I go).

Ms. Nickerson, I give your paper a grade of C- (70/100). If it was pro rev, it would still receive the same mark. You have contributed very little in terms of originality and mostly parrot and regurgitate.

Balsamo
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Balsamo » 8 years 10 months ago (Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:21 pm)

Ms. Nickerson, I give your paper a grade of C- (70/100).

You are generous !?!

70/100 is a grade. If i'd have been her master of research, i would have sent her back to her studies. But i don't know anything about the US academic standards...seem low to me.

athenarena

Postby athenarena » 8 years 10 months ago (Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 pm)

Cloud wrote:
Ms. Nickerson, I give your paper a grade of C- (70/100). If it was pro rev, it would still receive the same mark. You have contributed very little in terms of originality and mostly parrot and regurgitate.

You are very nice! I would have just passed it. 40/100

holographic
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby holographic » 8 years 10 months ago (Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:50 pm)

She missed a golden opportunity to demonstrate how affirmationists engage in fecallalia; speaking in contrary and dung-laden tongues. Case in point, pooshoodog. "dog" achieved his aim to portay revisionists as "haters" etc. And I can't help but feel that college kid edited selectively.

athenarena

Postby athenarena » 8 years 10 months ago (Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:03 pm)

holographic wrote:She missed a golden opportunity to demonstrate how affirmationists engage in fecallalia; speaking in contrary and dung-laden tongues. Case in point, pooshoodog. "dog" achieved his aim to portay revisionists as "haters" etc. And I can't help but feel that college kid edited selectively.

Of course she edited selectively. Some alway do that.

The Warden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby The Warden » 8 years 10 months ago (Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm)

Cloud wrote:
The Warden wrote:
Balsamo wrote:I don't know if you are aware of it.

But here is the result of the College kid "researches"
http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/cgi/vie ... ors_theses

This could almost have its own thread(s).
There's a lot to pick apart in there.
Of course, we could use the Wiesel approach and ignore it, thereby voiding any credibility of the author. :cheers:

I read her (the OP's) thesis yesterday. It was dull and repetitious. Consider the following:

[snip]

So that's *twenty two* occurrences of the word "dangerous" in her thesis describing revisionism. Now, I've read close to twenty Holocaust Handbooks and yet I still have not encountered any real danger to my life. The only "danger" however, is that I may be incarcerated for having them (depending on where I go).

One can wonder if the writer took a certain "bias" when creating this paper. Even the dullest knife in the drawer would know a professor won't be rewarding any pro-Revisionist papers, as opposed to throwing a big blue ribbon on anything that condemns it.

I believe this is another case of "refusal". Most Believers can't fathom the idea of being duped all their life. Much like alcoholism or drug addiction, believing in the Holocaust™ seems to be a temporary pain relief escape from the reality of "cruel" world known as reality. But as we know, it simply causes more problems as the time goes by.
Why the Holocaust Industry exists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A81P6YGw_c

athenarena

Postby athenarena » 8 years 10 months ago (Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:08 pm)

The Warden wrote:
One can wonder if the writer took a certain "bias" when creating this paper. Even the dullest knife in the drawer would know a professor won't be rewarding any pro-Revisionist papers, as opposed to throwing a big blue ribbon on anything that condemns it.

I believe this is another case of "refusal". Most Believers can't fathom the idea of being duped all their life. Much like alcoholism or drug addiction, believing in the Holocaust™ seems to be a temporary pain relief escape from the reality of "cruel" world known as reality. But as we know, it simply causes more problems as the time goes by.

Warden, of course she did. My English teacher has told us even if you hate the piece, write positive on it because you might get an examiner who loves it and will dock you for it. It is similar here.

To question is to find fault in what you have been told. That breaks down the environment you grew up in. It becomes less idolized and lionised. To remove that from any person who does not possess certain courage is impossible. That is why Revisionism is so hated and discouraged because it attacks what we hold as veracity.

Oh that we certainly know about alcoholism and drug addiction. Jeffery Dahmer, serial killer. Lovely man sober, murderous demon when he had the drink on him.

The Warden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby The Warden » 8 years 10 months ago (Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:29 pm)

athenarena wrote:
The Warden wrote:

Warden, of course she did. My English teacher has told us even if you hate the piece, write positive on it because you might get an examiner who loves it and will dock you for it. It is similar here.

To question is to find fault in what you have been told. That breaks down the environment you grew up in. It becomes less idolized and lionised. To remove that from any person who does not possess certain courage is impossible. That is why Revisionism is so hated and discouraged because it attacks what we hold as veracity.

Oh that we certainly know about alcoholism and drug addiction. Jeffery Dahmer, serial killer. Lovely man sober, murderous demon when he had the drink on him.

No offense, but you can't provide the answer of "of course she did" unless you're the writer.
Are you the writer of the document?

It's important to never use anecdotal evidence or to make conclusions based on partial information.
Or worse, speak for others.
Why the Holocaust Industry exists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A81P6YGw_c

athenarena

Postby athenarena » 8 years 10 months ago (Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:33 pm)

The Warden wrote:
No offense, but you can't provide the answer of "of course she did" unless you're the writer.
Are you the writer of the document?

It's important to never use anecdotal evidence or to make conclusions based on partial information.

No offense taken and fortunately I am not that author. I at least would be objective to a point although I would lean more to positive due to the education I have been receiving.

Thank you for the information and advice. I will ensure to remember it.

NSNO,
Athenarena

skeptical

Postby skeptical » 8 years 10 months ago (Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:23 am)

A paper, such as this student attempted, could be an ironic masterpiece but I think that "Elise" understands her role and how dangerous it is to wander out of line at the university. Time and again, the standard line seems to be, "ignore the arguments of the blasphemers as you carefully point out the unfashionable cut of the cloaks".... Rather than take on the implications of the chemical testing of the walls of the "gas chambers" "Elise" carefully comforms to the style of those who will grade her paper and attacks the speaker rather than the speech.
I can hardly blame the poor girl, any deviation from the standard line would cause, not only a failing grade, but termination of any hope of a professional career, a rain of shame upon her family, the loss of friends, in short, a lonely destitute life....
On the other hand, if "Elise" simply conforms, she receives an "A", she gets the applause of the Holocaust industry, she suddenly becomes an "expert" and her professional career, in whichever field she chooses, continues to take root.
It is very easy to give up thinking freely, it is a very expensive hobby to persue.
The funny thing about delving through these "devilish" little subcurrents of free thinkers is that those who are sent out to damn the devils end up contaminated. I'm sure that each of the "experts" cited by "Elise" understand that the reason "denial" is "dangerous" is that the standard story is full of holes.

athenarena

Postby athenarena » 8 years 10 months ago (Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:46 pm)

That is a very interesting viewpoint skeptical and one I fear holds many truths in many education systems. It seems conformity not honesty is prized now.

NSNO,
Athenarena

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 8 years 10 months ago (Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 pm)

skeptical wrote: I can hardly blame the poor girl, any deviation from the standard line would cause, not only a failing grade, but termination of any hope of a professional career, a rain of shame upon her family, the loss of friends, in short, a lonely destitute life....
On the other hand, if "Elise" simply conforms, she receives an "A", she gets the applause of the Holocaust industry, she suddenly becomes an "expert" and her professional career, in whichever field she chooses, continues to take root.

Presumably she chose her subject though. But yes, I think the days when a Master's thesis sympathetic to Revisionism, such as Joel Hayward's, could get 1st Class Honours are long gone. And of course Hayward's career in his home country was destroyed by the New Zealand Jewish Council. He managed to restablish himself by moving to England and never going near the Holocaust again.

skeptical wrote:I'm sure that each of the "experts" cited by "Elise" understand that the reason "denial" is "dangerous" is that the standard story is full of holes.

Unlike certain roofs? ;)

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”