The Original Yiddish Version of Elie Wiesel's "Night"

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Christof

Re: The Original Yiddish Version of Elie Wiesel's "Night"

Postby Christof » 9 years 5 months ago (Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:03 pm)

joachim neander wrote:@ Eric Hunt:

Buchenwald was, at least under Pister, sort of a "model camp," and the living conditions, particularly for the political prisoners, until the end of 1944 were far better there than at Auschwitz, where things never ended to be makeshift (see e.g. the Höß memoirs).

"The Jews,of course, protected themselves in typically Jewish fashion.They all had plenty of money and could buy whatever they wanted in the canteen.It was therefore not hard for them to find penniless prisoners who were only too glad to render services in return for tobacco,sweets,sausage,and such.In this way they were able to arrange for the Capos to give them easier work,or for the prisoner nursing staff to get them admitted to the camp hospital.On one occassion a Jew had the nails drawn from his big toes by one of the prisoner nurses in exchange for a packet of cigarettes,so that he might get into the hospital."

Commandant Of Auschwitz, pgs.142-143

Do you mean those memoirs?
"All the concentration camps were, after all, vast transit camps.The inmates were constantly changing, passing from one camp to another, coming and going." Balachowsky:IMT vol.VI pg.317

Eric Hunt
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Eric Hunt » 9 years 5 months ago (Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 pm)

Hahaha, that is brilliant!

Also, since Koch set up the movie theater, that makes two commanders under which Buchenwald was a "model camp."

That is, unless you believe the lies about Koch's wife.

The Lie - Koch's wife made lampshades and parchment out of Jewish skin.

The Truth - Koch took a building frequently used by his wife, and moved it inside the camp, setting up a movie theater for the inmates.
Watch THE TREBLINKA ARCHAEOLOGY HOAX

http://holocausthoaxmuseum.com/treblinka-archaeology-hoax

Semitism = Jewish Supremacism

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 9 years 5 months ago (Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:00 am)

We're getting too off topic, but if Karl and Ilse Koch were lied about (lampshades, etc), it still is likely the case that there was corruption at Buchenwald when Koch was there. That's why the SS put him in jail and later executed him. Yes the Ilse Koch stuff is lies, but no Karl Koch didn't run a model camp.

Eric Hunt
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Eric Hunt » 9 years 5 months ago (Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:28 am)

Back on topoc, There isn't much difference in the translated page and the original.

I'm interested if anyone else wants to attempt translations of pages.

jnovitz
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby jnovitz » 9 years 5 months ago (Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:36 am)

I don't buy that the camp documents Gruner writes about don't describe Wiesel and his father.

I think they do, Abraham dying in the same way Salomon did.

Even major differences in dates on these documents are normal.

So, I don't agree with the "Stolen Identity" claims at all, and frankly find them as stupid as Gruner's lie about falling into a latrine for many hours.

but it is still odd how there is no image of his tattoo.

I think there are going to be differences major enough to really show Wiesel for what he is.

If you don't accept Mr Gruener"s story then the fact that Mr Wiesel has no tattoo becomes a meaningless triviality.

Eric Hunt
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Eric Hunt » 9 years 5 months ago (Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:26 pm)

The last two pages of the book -

244.gif

245.gif

Several changes, some have already been pointed out by Naomi Seidkind.

1) the Jews run off to loot and rape German shixaas, in the original, they run off to "sleep" with German girls.

2) in this original, Elie Wiesel punches the mirror in the hospital which shows his skeletal body. Pondering the will to live, he smashes the mirror. This is right after the passage about revenge. I take this to be that Elie's reason to live is revenge.

As his changes to the Western version of Night show, Wiesel has rightfully figured out that posing as an eternal victim with the weight of the world on his shoulders (cue his endless photographs of him with his head being propped up by his hand, literally the weight of what's in his brain can't be held up by his neck alone!) is the best way to get revenge on the Christianity-influenced West. Thanks Mauriac.

3) But one of the major things is that Wiesel claims to have written the first draft of this original Yiddish version of Night IN BUCHENWALD, in his hospital bed. I'm wondering if he had the original manuscript on his possession as he claims to have been one of the children marching out in that photograph from Buchenwald?

Wiesel has maintained that he wrote this book while on a boat to South America roughly ten years after the war, after his ten year "vow of silence" was up.

It's also important to point out that there were already Holocaust deniers when this book was written.

I wonder if there were any big denier "events" or rumblings at the time, that Wiesel felt the need to respond with a work of fictional non-fiction. Sonderkomandos and other "survivors" claimed they felt the need to speak out (forty some odd years later) because of specific incidences of antisemitic events in their area.

Oh, and here's a bizarre photograph of Wiesel hiding his left arm from the camera, where his tattoo is supposed to be, even in a private moment with his sister -

bizarre.JPG
Last edited by Eric Hunt on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carolyn Yeager
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Carolyn Yeager » 9 years 5 months ago (Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pm)

Eric Hunt wrote:Several changes, some have already been pointed out by Naomi Seidkind.

1) the Jews run off to loot and rape German shixaas, in the original, they run off to "sleep" with German girls.

2) in this original, Elie Wiesel punches the mirror in the hospital which shows his skeletal body. Pondering the will to live, he smashes the mirror. This is right after the passage about revenge. I take this to be that Elie's reason to live is revenge.

As his changes to the Western version of Night show, Wiesel has rightfully figured out that posing as an eternal victim with the weight of the world on his shoulders (cue his endless photographs of him with his head being propped up by his hand, literally the weight of what's in his brain can't be held up by his neck alone!) is the best way to get revenge on the Christianity-influenced West. Thanks Mauriac.

3) But one of the major things, I'm not sure this has ever been pointed out, is that Wiesel claims to have written the first draft of this original Yiddish version of Night IN BUCHENWALD, in his hospital bed. I'm not sure if there are any fleeting mentions to this anywhere. There may have been, I don't know. I'm wondering if he had the original manuscript on his possession as he claims to have been one of the children marching out in that photograph from Buchenwald?

Wiesel has maintained that he wrote this book while on a boat to South America roughly ten years after the war, after his ten year "vow of silence" was up.

It's also important to point out that there were already Holocaust deniers when this book was written.

I wonder if there were any big denier "events" or rumblings at the time, that Wiesel felt the need to respond with a work of fictional non-fiction. Sonderkomandos and other "survivors" claimed they felt the need to speak out (forty some odd years later) because of specific incidences of antisemitic events in their area.

Oh, and here's a bizarre photograph of Wiesel hiding his left arm from the camera, where his tattoo is supposed to be, even in a private moment with his sister -

[attachment=0]bizarre.JPG[/attachment

Eric,
This passage and the one about the Jewish boys running off to rape German girls have already been translated from the Yiddish by Naomi Siedman (not Siedkind) in her 1996 essay, and quoted in "The Shadowy Origins of Night" at http://www.eliewieseltattoo.com So the answer to your #3 is that it has.

I'm working right now on Shadowy Origins of Night III, which will include analysis of this major change in ending; as far as I know, Elie Wiesel always insists he didn't start any writing for 10 years, and has never referred to the original Yiddish passage wherein the protaganist writes the outline while in the hospital in Buchenwald.

I hope you can get the first chapter translated. I suspect it starts out differently, not with Moishe the Beadle. :) I just figured it up that 617 pages were removed in the editing of the original manuscript to the published Yiddish. That's over 2/3 of what was supposedly written! What writer would allow that?
Further, 87 pages were removed from the published Un di Velt to La Nuit; almost 1/3 of the book! Can the difference be in the number of words per page - that kind of thing - rather than the actual content?

Thanks for the picture of Elie and his sister! Great. But where is the caption? Which sister, when; how do we document that it is indeed his sister? It looks like it would most likely be in the 1980's.
In Jewish history there are no coincidences ... Elie Wiesel
Learn more at http://eliewieseltattoo.com

Auschwitz: The Underground Guided Tour http://carolynyeager.net/auschwitz-unde ... uided-tour

Eric Hunt
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Eric Hunt » 9 years 5 months ago (Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:36 pm)

Anyone can translate this (not great quality, but works)

http://stevemorse.org/hebrew/trans.html?mode=hebrew

NLH
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby NLH » 4 years 9 months ago (Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:44 pm)

Any updates on this translation?
"Believe me, I came into Auschwitz in a much worse condition than I actually left it."
- Kitty Hart-Moxon, Jewish Holocaust Survivor.

June 1998 testimony, USC Shoah Foundation, Visual History Archive.
Part 2 - YouTube - 1:21:42

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”