The Problem of "Auschwitz"

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Sailor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

The Problem of "Auschwitz"

Postby Sailor » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:19 am)

From Hellmut Diwald, German professor of history: -- Geschichte der Deutschen ("History of the Germans"), first edition, 1978, pages 164-165.

Ever since the charge was made that the SS attempted to physically annihilate the Jews of Europe, under orders from Hitler and as directed by Himmler and the Reich Security Main Office, the problem of "Auschwitz" had been completely blacked out. Since the capitulation in 1945, "Auschwitz" has also served as the main vehicle in a campaign to reduce the German people to complete moral degradation.
... Countless works have been published and claims made since 1945 that cannot be proven and which cynically add to the infamy. The most horrible events of modern times have been exploited through the use of distortions, deceptions and exaggerations for the purpose of totally disqualifying a people.
Thus, the victorious Allies claimed the existence of "extermination camps" of which there was not a single one in Germany. For years visitors to the Dachau concentration camp were shown "gas chambers" where as many as 25,000 Jews were allegedly killed daily by the SS. Actually, the rooms displayed were dummy chambers that the US military had forced imprisoned SS men to build after the capitulation. A similar case involved the notorious Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where 50,000 inmates were supposedly murdered. Actually, about 7,000 inmates died during the period when the camp existed, from 1943 to 1945. Most of them died in the last months of the war as a result of disease and malnutrition -- consequences of the bombings that had completely disrupted normal deliveries of medical supplies and food. The British commander who took control of the camp after the capitulation testified that crimes on a large scale had not taken place at Bergen-Belsen.
The deportation of the Jews took place as part of a general forced-labor program for the war industry. After the beginning of the war against Russia, the German war economy grew form month to month and reached a high point in mid-1944. All those who could work at all were inducted, including the Jews. In accordance with their special status, they were subject to especially inhumane treatment. The enormous program for their deportation by railway from all the occupied territories for use in Eastern munitions factories and work camps was justified by the military importance of their tasks and received top priority, even ahead of army transport.
Auschwitz, an old industrial town in the upper Silesian plateau, developed into a major wartime production center. The chemical industry quickly became far more important than the older zinc rolling mills and grinding works. The most significant aspect was the production of artificial rubber and petroleum from coal. On February 16, 1942, all concentration camps were incorporated into the war economy and munitions industry and accordingly came under the organizational authority of the SS Main Office for Economic Administration and its chief, General Otto Pohl.
The various camps were classified according to their importance to the war economy. Birkenau, a part of the Auschwitz complex, served as the camp for those inmates who were declared unsuited for work. Consequently, the camp had the highest death rate. On July 26, 1942, a devastating typhus epidemic broke out in Birkenau. As many as 20,000 died within three months.
That is why an especially large number of crematoria for burning the bodies were built in Birkenau. Reports of the high death rate there moved Himmler to issue an order on December 28, 1942, "to reduce the number of deaths in the concentration camps at all costs."
During the war Jewish emigration was no longer possible, and the expression "total solution" or "final solution" was coined to refer to the policy whereby all Jews were to be segregated from the German population, removed from central Europe, evacuated to the East, and relocated in new ghettos. This plan was outlined by Reinhard Heydrich, chief of the Reich Security Main Office, on June 24, 1940. The central questions about what actually happened in the subsequent years still remain unclear despite all of the literature. "Auschwitz" is the German stigma of this century.

H.D.

Dan

Postby Dan » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:37 pm)

Thanks

Dan

Postby Dan » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:32 pm)

I now you've put a lot of work in translating, but when you get a chance, it would be nice to see the PC version to compare it with.

Thanks

Sailor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Sailor » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:51 pm)

Question: What is "PC version"?

fge

max

Postby max » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:14 pm)

Sailor wrote:Question: What is "PC version"?

fge

I have another question:

Haven't you omitted some sentences that doesn't fit into your view?

For instance, where Diwald speaks about the "systematic extermination" of the Jews?

Isn't that what you have selectively quoted Sailor's "revisionist correctness version"?

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:59 pm)

Do tell Max, how then can DiWald say:
On July 26, 1942, a devastating typhus epidemic broke out in Birkenau. As many as 20,000 died within three months.
That is why an especially large number of crematoria for burning the bodies were built in Birkenau. Reports of the high death rate there moved Himmler to issue an order on December 28, 1942, "to reduce the number of deaths in the concentration camps at all costs."
During the war Jewish emigration was no longer possible, and the expression "total solution" or "final solution" was coined to refer to the policy whereby all Jews were to be segregated from the German population, removed from central Europe, evacuated to the East, and relocated in new ghettos.

and then believe, as you claim:
For instance, where Diwald speaks about the "systematic extermination" of the Jews?

I notice 'of the Jews' is not in quotes by you...interesting maneuver.

- Hannover

Dan

Postby Dan » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:58 pm)

Sailor, I thought these were the 2 pages you refered to in another post. You said that there was a furor about those two pages, and in a subsequent edition these pages were modified.

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:40 pm)

Dan, please show us the claimed "modification".

- vH

Dan

Postby Dan » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:52 pm)

Sailor wrote

Writes M. Weber about German history Prof. H. Diwald and his book “Geschichte der Deutschen” (History of the Germans):

Although it became an immediate best-seller in Germany -- unusual for a heavy 760-page work of history -- Dr. Diwald quickly learned what happens to even a prominent and reputable scholar who dares to cast doubt on a politically sensitive chapter of official history. As a result of the appearance of these two pages in a book written by a reputable historian and issued by a respectable publisher, that Diwald called "the problem of 'Auschwitz'," which had been quietly simmering among academics and Holocaust revisionists, suddenly burst into public attention. Quickly acceding to pressure from powerful groups, including boisterous protests from Jewish groups, sales of the first printing of 100,000 copies were immediately stopped, and a new edition with a hastily rewritten and "acceptable" section about the "final solution" was quickly substituted.

I asked for the two pages.

Sailor posted what I thought were the two pages of the work I requested.

I thanked him

I asked him for the version that was "acceptable".

Sorry that my question was so complicated.

Sailor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Sailor » 1 decade 7 years ago (Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:15 pm)

Dan wrote:Sailor, I thought these were the 2 pages you refered to in another post. You said that there was a furor about those two pages, and in a subsequent edition these pages were modified.

The stuff I posted is lifted off from Mark Weber "Hellmut Diwald, German Professor" http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v13/v13n6p16_Diwald.html

Some where something got lost here in our discussion. Sorrry if it was my fault.

If Dan asks for the text of the original version of the questionable part of Diwald's "History of the Germans" and the corrected one I will look for it. I know that I have it somewhere.

fge

Sailor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Sailor » 1 decade 7 years ago (Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:23 am)

Dan wrote: I asked him for the version that was "acceptable".
Sorry that my question was so complicated.

I cannot find the "acceptable" version of the text in question. Apparently the publisher of the book planned to rewrite the whole book in a way that it acceptable to the present German power elite, i.e. it is probably beyond recognition. I don't have a copy of the revision.

But I did check Weber's translation against the text in my book. It seems that his translation is fairly "free", i.e. it is not translated "word for word" or tied close to the German text. (as I have to do for Rudolf, who then has my "German-English" proofread by a native English speaker). But Weber's text appears to me to be essentially correct.

Max on the other hand also has a point. Weber's text is part of an overall section in which Diwald clearly condems the crimes and murders committed by the NS regime against the Jews.

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 7 years ago (Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:55 am)

It's a far cry from alleging "systematic extermination" of Jews (which is shown to be false on almost a daily basis at this board) to admitting that the Germans committed scattered war crimes. The Allied war crimes simply dwarfed the German crimes.
The general perception, while changing, is shaped by those that control the information that we receive.
It was interesting that Max offered no evidence to support his assertion.

- Hannover

truth
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: The Problem of "Auschwitz"

Postby truth » 8 years 2 months ago (Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:17 am)

I wonder who were the architects of Auschwitz? Who constructed the place and when? I heard Auschwitz is as big as 5000 football fields and half of Manhattan. Oprah said it on one of her videos at Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slZMOkYJFO0

Anyway, the scale of the place is humongous and impressive. Did ever anybody research the entire place?

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: The Problem of "Auschwitz"

Postby Hektor » 8 years 2 months ago (Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 am)

There are numerous primary documents on Auschwitz, which describe what was there and what was going on there. Basically it is an internment centre with industries, living quarters, service facilities all in the same place.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”