Question about Hoess Memoir

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Visfor

Question about Hoess Memoir

Postby Visfor » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 am)

Where can I find commentaries on the Hoess memoir written from the revisionist perspective? Other than a review of an "orthodox" historians take on the issue I can't find anything at either IHR or VHO.

http://www.vho.org/GB/c/RW/revddeal.html

The Warden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: Question about Hoess Memoir

Postby The Warden » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 am)

After the confession being coerced, I find it hard to believe Hoess wrote anything.
Why the Holocaust Industry exists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A81P6YGw_c

Visfor

Postby Visfor » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 am)

He was tortured by the Brits. I don't know if anybody yet claims that he was tortured by the communists or if they do what sources do they have? I know that the safety of his family is a serious issue. I know that their is no original copy of his memoir available. I have heard that the communists commanded him to write the memoir which if true would seriously undermine the credibility of the memoir.

Visfor

Postby Visfor » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:03 pm)

According to the webite of the author of Rudolph Hoess, The Death Dealer of Auschwitz, Hoess wrote that "when he had an affair with an Auschwitz prisoner, he extricated himself by sending her to the gas chamber .."

http://www.auschwitz.dk/hoess.htm

Yet another review of Hoess's memoir from Amazon.com states that "Hoess concludes his memoir explaining that he wrote it so the world could see that he wasn't a monster -- rather, just a misled bureaucrat who hopes his family will not be made to suffer for his crimes. The book is well worth reading -- especially by those who either out of ignorance or wickedness take the position that the Holocaust never happened. "

http://www.amazon.com/Commandant-Auschw ... 1842120247

Now why would Hoess say that he had a girl sent to her death just because he had an affair with her if the supposed purpose of the memoir was to show how he was merely a "mislead bureaucrat" and not a monster? Hmmmmm.

trevor

Postby trevor » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:02 pm)

Hoess had a wife and five children. These are 6 good reasons to do anything they wanted to prevent them being handed over to Russia. He was sentenced to death, he had nothing to lose but he could save his family by signing, writing and saying anything they wanted.

His affidavits and court testimonies are full of factual mistakes in places where it relates to "mass extermination by gassing".
and
"Certainly, I signed a statement that I killed two and half million Jews. I could just as well have said it was five million Jews. There are certain methods by which any confession can be obtained, whether it is true or not. " [40]

"Decades later, an account was published of how Hoess had been tortured for three days and nights without sleep by a British army team in order to extract that statement. [41] In a letter to his wife, Hoess apologised for his "confessions " and explains that they had been extracted from him under torture [42]
"
http://www.codoh.com/newrevoices/nrillusion.html
The letter is preserved: Irving, Nuremberg, p.246.

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:42 pm)

Visfor wrote:He was tortured by the Brits. I don't know if anybody yet claims that he was tortured by the communists or if they do what sources do they have?.

Are you serious? You need sources? We are talking about about a post-war East-European Communist regime in the time of Stalin. One where, according to Wikipedia, 15 out of the 18 leading members of the State secret police were Jewish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Public_Security_of_Poland Para #8

Nah. Why would they want to torture him? Or threaten his wife and kids?

Ray Barren

Postby Ray Barren » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 pm)

Kingfisher wrote:
Visfor wrote:He was tortured by the Brits. I don't know if anybody yet claims that he was tortured by the communists or if they do what sources do they have?.

Are you serious? You need sources? We are talking about about a post-war East-European Communist regime in the time of Stalin. One where, according to Wikipedia, 15 out of the 18 leading members of the State secret police were Jewish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Public_Security_of_Poland Para #8

Nah. Why would they want to torture him? Or threaten his wife and kids?

Your Wikipedia link does not contain the word 'jew'. Were they the ones who imprison and charged Hoess in court? You assume that they would torture him just because they were Jewish? I see. I strongly dont agree but I see more of your perspective and bias now. Similar to general statement without evidence that Nazis killing Jews because they were Nazis. I know you wouldnt accept this.

And for others a good analysis of Hoess memoirs, and how the claim of torture fails to explain his evidence, is here http://www.holocaust-history.org/auschw ... s-memoirs/
I am new to the Holocaust debate because I never knew anyone who questioned the event in history. Here for good and free exchange of ideas on Holocaust.

Visfor

Postby Visfor » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:04 pm)

We are talking about about a post-war East-European Communist regime in the time of Stalin. One where, according to Wikipedia, 15 out of the 18 leading members of the State secret police were Jewish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_o ... _of_Poland Para #8"

I looked on the page using my browser search feature for Jew and Jewish but I couldn't find it. You make a good point, however if their are other pieces of evidence for the claim that he was tortured I would like to know that.

Visfor

Postby Visfor » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:09 pm)

trevor wrote:Hoess had a wife and five children. These are 6 good reasons to do anything they wanted to prevent them being handed over to Russia. He was sentenced to death, he had nothing to lose but he could save his family by signing, writing and saying anything they wanted.

That is a good point that I think is very important to consider.

I have come across a statement (sorry can't think of the source off the top of my head) where it is claimed that Hoess said that he was happy with the memoirs that he had written but I can't find anything that points me to the source behind that claim.

Again I am looking for a commentary on the Hoess memoir that refutes the "orthodox" account.

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:03 pm)

Visfor:

In the list of 18 names some are clearly Jewish names and some are not. But many of the individuals have their own article in Wikipedia. In those articles Jewish parentage is often mentioned, and sometimes a change of name. I totalled the clearly Jewish names and others identified as Jewish in their Wikipedia articles and found 15 out of 18. You can confirm this if you have the time and inclination.

I was astonished too, even though I have read David Irving on the Hungarian rising of 1956, where he finds a similar phenomenon.

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 pm)

Ray Barren:

See my reply to Visfor, above.
You assume that they would torture him just because they were Jewish? I see. I strongly dont agree but I see more of your perspective and bias now.

There is plenty of documentation about mistreatment of Germans in the concentration camps after they were taken over by the Polish Communists. Salomon Morel, in particular, who fled to Israel, was wanted by the Poles, until his recent death. Do you think a notorious secret police unit that happened to be predominantly Jewish would handle someone like Hoess with kid gloves?

Please don't accuse me of anti-semitism, even by insinuation. There's plenty of it on this forum, but include me out.

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:37 pm)

Ray Barren & Viskor.

I've been back and checked again and I may have exaggerated the number. I can only clearly identify 12 now. But it's still 2/3 including the top people so if these people, known as torturers and political murderers were interrogating the man believed to have murdered Jews by the million, I somehow don't think they would have been as nice as the Americans in Abu Ghraib, etc.

That is why I take it for granted he would say anything he was told to say. Even us nice British tortured him.

Visfor

Postby Visfor » 8 years 9 months ago (Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:23 pm)

Much of the evidence "orthodox" historians use to validate the authenticity of the Memoir consists of internal analysis of the text. They for instance make a lot out of the fact that Hoess uses a different figure than the one promulgated by the communists. Hoes stated that 1.1 million were gassed rather than 4 million. But what other evidence do "orthodox" historians have that it was real or not forced?

Did Hoess ever vouch for the authenticity of the Memoirs? Did the public know about the Memoirs before he died?

trevor

Postby trevor » 8 years 9 months ago (Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 am)

It was published 11 years after his death. Why so late?

"Höss wrote his autobiography while awaiting execution; it was published in 1958 as Kommandant in Auschwitz; autobiographische Aufzeichnungen[18] and later as Death Dealer: the Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz (among other editions).

Höss was sentenced to death on April 2, 1947. The sentence was carried out on April 16 immediately adjacent to the crematorium of the former Auschwitz I "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_H%C3%B6ss

Visfor

Postby Visfor » 8 years 9 months ago (Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 am)

It was published 11 years after his death. Why so late?

"Höss wrote his autobiography while awaiting execution; it was published in 1958 as Kommandant in Auschwitz; autobiographische Aufzeichnungen[18] and later as Death Dealer: the Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz (among other editions).

Höss was sentenced to death on April 2, 1947. The sentence was carried out on April 16 immediately adjacent to the crematorium of the former Auschwitz I "

Well was it ever mentioned before it was publishedl? Did the autobiography come out of nowhere?

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”