Holocaust education in the USA

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Holocaust education in the USA

Postby borjastick » 7 years 10 months ago (Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 am)

Could some of our US contributors please tell me how the holocaust is taught to school students in the USA? At what age are they introduced to the subject, what are they told, what evidence is this teaching backed up with and what do they read and see?? I heard via another thread that all kids in the USA are shown or even told to read Elie Wiesel's 'Night'. Is this true?

I am in the UK and when I was at school (sadly a long time ago) it was mentioned in passing as part of the 20th century history course but not rammed down our throats. I don't remember being told of gas chambers and six million dead, but I may be wrong. This was in the early seventies. Nowadays due to the high rate of multi faith schools, in some regions the holocaust isn't taught at all.
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

skeptical

Re: Holocaust education in the USA

Postby skeptical » 7 years 10 months ago (Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:22 am)

By fourth grade they are reading Diary of Anne Frank and various obvious "fiction" knock offs of Anne Frank.
"Night" arrives in eighth grade. The teachers are carefully indoctrinated and just as terrified as congress members clapping until their fingers bleed and yelling till their voices are hoarse for BiBi Netanyahu. My son recently drew a picture of an airplane with a star of David on it's wing bombing a burning Gaza.. The art teacher was shocked and sent him to the office.
Once my son explained that he was opposed to the occupation and that Israel does in fact bomb Gaza on a regular basis the school authorities let him go with a warning.
The holocaust is a living breathing thing in public schools... I think that it is, in some ways, crowding out American history.
For school kids, the holocaust is WW2.......

SevenUp
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby SevenUp » 7 years 10 months ago (Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 am)

The Jews are pushing hard to have holohoax education made mandatory in every state, you can see their tally of state laws here ...

http://www.ushmm.org/education/foreducators/states/

The Florida Dept of Education commissioned study guides for hoax education in all grades starting in KINDERGARTEN, you can see the results here ...

http://www.hdec.org/resource_manual.htm

fountainhead

Postby fountainhead » 7 years 10 months ago (Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:31 pm)

skeptical wrote:By fourth grade they are reading Diary of Anne Frank and various obvious "fiction" knock offs of Anne Frank.
"Night" arrives in eighth grade.

I was an elementary/high school student of the 90s and that sounds about right. I'm not sure if we read Night but from what I've seen of the book, it sounds awfully familiar so it's possible we read excerpts from it. In tenth grade (about age 15-16) we were forced to watch Murderers Among us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story. The same year, we also read the Herman Rosenblat story! I remember thinking what a nice, warm and fuzzy story that was. :lol:

It's true when skeptical says, "For school kids, the holocaust is WW2." I remember spending a lot more time on the holocaust than on the greater historical context and implications of WWII. The other horrors of the war, such as Dresden, the Rape of Nanking, the Katyn Massacre and even the Soviet crimes in general, are glossed over if mentioned at all. I had to find those things out as an adult!
Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.

Engel

Postby Engel » 7 years 10 months ago (Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35 pm)

I remember when I was in high school here in Canada, we learned about the myth in English in grade 8, we read Night and even watched Schindler's List. I was a believer back then, but now that I've actually seen the farce that makes up the holocaust, I can really see how ridiculous the things they teach in school are. A couple of weeks ago my sister told me her teacher taught them that the Nazis made furniture and clothes out of human skin. Needless to say I was appalled especially considering she's in grade 6. It's a shame they get mislead at such a young age.
"The Soviets are undoubtedly going to make it their business to discover as many mass graves as possible and then blame it on us." - Joseph Goebbels

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 7 years 10 months ago (Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm)

IOW, give us more money to indoctrinate those in their formative years. It always comes down to money. It's all so obvious. What's the expression? "Follow the money".

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

fountainhead

Postby fountainhead » 7 years 10 months ago (Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 am)

One more thing I remember from childhood, though not really related to education in the sense of schooling, is the TV debut of Schindler's List. This is the only movie I remember that was 'important' enough to have the President of the United States introduce it on air. If I recall correctly, it was also completely uncut and uncensored even though it was on network TV, which normally doesn't even allow us to hear Joe Pesci uttering the 'f word'. :roll:
Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.

JoFo

Postby JoFo » 7 years 10 months ago (Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 am)

My teenage daughter took a couple of years of German language in high school. Part of their curriculum was a trip to a holocaust exhibit (with paid admission, of course). Every other language course exalts its associated country and culture, but with German they have to throw concentration camps in the mix! My wife had to talk me out of boycotting the field trip so as not to stigmatize our daughter and possibly jeopardize her grade in the class. What a racket!

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”