The "Pianist"

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Secret Anne X

The "Pianist"

Postby Secret Anne X » 1 decade 5 years ago (Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:22 pm)

Hi,

I was curious if anyone had any reactions to this Holocaust film.

I watched it recently and thought it was pretty good. Although whoever said that Adrian Brody was handsome or sexy is being strictly generous.

Three things in the movie struck me as deliberate "political" or "outside" references.

One, when the man in the wheelchair was thrown from the balcony. I feel that was a deliberate nod to Leon Klinghoffer.

Two, when the SS man went down the line and shot a bunch of guys, then had to pause and reload before killing the last guy. Made me think of the same scene in Schindler's List, but without the "happy" ending.

Three, when the main character looks out the windows and sees that the Nazis were building a big wall to keep the Jews from leaving their ghetto.

I'll just let you guess what that made me think of! LOL!

Goethe
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Goethe » 1 decade 5 years ago (Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:42 pm)

There was certainly a Warsaw ghetto and I believe the story goes that the Jews were eventually rounded up in Warsaw and then sent to be exterminated. Which is exactly what we now know did not happen. So once again we have another movie which simply pushes false information. It seems that everything said about that period in history must support Zionist interests and any dissent must be suppressed at all costs. It's that suppression of dissent which really alerts people to the false nature of the alleged events.

Guptalicious

Postby Guptalicious » 1 decade 5 years ago (Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:45 pm)

I don't recall the film ever making any extermination claims, except in passing.

I watched it very carefully of course for negative characterizations of Germans, and these balanced out, after all, it was a German officer who saved Spilman's life.

Another reason I watched the film very carefully was to see what kind of 'polysemes' would be employed. Of course, any movie having to do with the Warsaw ghetto is going to have to have obligatory dialog about "this time we have to fight" and sure enough the ad campaign for the movie had just such snippets of dialog. And naturally one expects such dialog to be used to justify everything from taking over all of Area A to invading Iraq.

So I was curious to see how that was handled. And yet I must say that whatever the hype and whatever Polanski's intention, the subliminal or double messages of the film did not support a Zionist agenda.

After all, our hearts were broken as we watched the progressive disintegration of the Spilman family: losing jobs, losing homes, running out of money, at the mercy of whatever the occupying power might dole out to them, humiliated, embarrassed, disgraced; and every day immurred behind a bigger and better wall.

To be sure, such things are a daily occurrence in Greater Israel.

But they ain't happening to Jews.

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:55 pm)

Guptalicious:
I don't recall the film ever making any extermination claims, except in passing.

Most of the modern holocaust movies I've seen have made only subliminal referances to gas chamber executions,(i.e. Schindler's list,Life is wonderful),and in the case of Schindler's list,I found it odd that the most major referance to the gas chambers was made as a rumor on a trainload of transport jews.Eventualy,it ended up being just that,a rumor,as shower water poured over the heads of women.These producers or directors seem to me to be very carefull about making outright statements concearning gas chamber executions.I did not see the Pianist,however.And as a final note to Secret Ann,it's a movie,and there isn't a movie in the world depicted from real life events that doesn't over dramitize the situation.They have to,that's how you sell movies.

Scott
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Scott » 1 decade 5 years ago (Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:58 pm)

Maybe foreign films are different because Life is Beautiful had an Italian labor camp where the children of the deported were gassed and cremated.

:shock:

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:37 am)

Scott wrote:Maybe foreign films are different because Life is Beautiful had an Italian labor camp where the children of the deported were gassed and cremated.

:shock:
:lol: I'm sorry,correct if I'm wrong,but in the film life is beautiful,they talked of gassings,but you didn't hear of or see any that actualy took place,did you?Not that I like seeing such attrocities against human beings,but in the light of examination of certain elleged acts of violence and murder allegedly comited by WW2 Germans,I would just rather beleave these alleged terrible acts against human beings did not take place,whereas it seams to me exterminationists prefer for these events to have actualy happened to further their personal agendas:vengence,hatred,money,power,etc.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”