Shlomo Venezia, who survived being an Auschwitz, dies

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
phdnm
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Shlomo Venezia, who survived being an Auschwitz, dies

Postby phdnm » 7 years 7 months ago (Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am)

Shlomo Venezia, who survived being an Auschwitz Sonderkommando, dies

ROME – Shlomo Venezia, a Holocaust survivor who wrote about his experiences in an Auschwitz Sonderkommando unit and spent years bearing personal testimony to the Shoah, has died.

Venezia, who was born in Salonika (Thessaloniki), Greece, died Sept. 30 in Rome at the age of 88.

Deported to Auschwitz in 1944, he was one of the few survivors of the notorious Sonderkommando units – teams of prisoners forced to move and cremate the bodies of those killed in the gas chambers. His mother and two sisters were killed in Auschwitz. He wrote about his experiences in a memoir, “Sonderkommando Auschwitz,” published in 2007.

Venezia was very active speaking about the Holocaust at schools, public events and in the media, and he accompanied Italian student groups on study trips to Auschwitz.

His death “leaves a vacuum and great pain,” said Rome Mayor Gianni Alemanno.

Nicola Zingaretti, the president of Rome province, said: “It is difficult today, and it has always been difficult, to find the words to thank Shlomo for all that he has given us and all that he has taught us, and it is difficult, maybe impossible, to comprehend the depth of his suffering, his courage and his generosity.”

The Director General of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, or UNESCO, Irina Bokova, also paid tribute. "Shlomo Venezia was an exceptional and tireless witness of this dark period of history,” she said in a statement. “He dedicated many years of his life telling his story in Italy and throughout Europe to serve as a warning for the future. He influenced a whole generation of young people, teachers and historians, thanks to his deep loyalty to the memory of the deceased. All those who knew him were struck by his modesty and his strength of character," she said. "His death is a call to intensify efforts for educating and transmitting the history of the Holocaust around the world."

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/10 ... mando-dies

"The Truth About the Gas Chambers?" Historical Considerations relating to Shlomo Venezia's "Unique Testimony"

Carlo Mattogno

1) A last-minute witness

Shlomo Venezia, self-proclaimed ex-conscript of the so-called "Sonderkommando"of Birkenau, only decided to "speak out" in 1992. I discussed his testimony in 2002, in an article entitled "Another Last-Minute Witness: Shlomo Venezia"1. Few sources were available at the time. Venezia acquired a certain notoriety in 1995 thanks to an interview conducted by Fabio Iacomini, entitled "The Eyewitness Testimony of Salomone Venezia, Survivor of the Sonderkommando"2; his "Testimony at Santa Melania, 18 January 2001, the First Day of Memory" appeared six years later 3. In January 2002, Venezia agreed to an interview with Stefano Lorenzetto4, republished, with a few minor changes, in the weekly magazine Gente in October 2002, under the title "I, a Jew, Cremated the Jews"5.

In my article mentioned above, I noted:

"Shlomo Venezia, self-proclaimed conscript of the so-called 'Sonderkommando' of the Birkenau crematoria, remained, like Elisa Springer, silent for almost fifty years, but, in contrast to Springer, has not (yet) written his 'memoirs' "6.

As I anticipated, in 2007,Venezia finally filled the void, entrusting his memoirs to a book: Sonderkommando Auschwitz. The Truth about the Gas Chambers. A Unique Testimony7, which I shall examine from a historical point of view, including from the point of view of his prior statements.

Read more: Inconvenient History | A Quarterly Journal for Free Historical Inquiry

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: Shlomo Venezia, who survived being an Auschwitz, dies

Postby Hannover » 7 years 7 months ago (Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am)

Doesn't the storyline say that the so called "sonderkommando" were all killed after doing their supposed gruesome work? But this man was left alone so he could tell the world all about the German's allegedly secret activities. The story of this liar refutes itself.

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

The Warden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby The Warden » 7 years 7 months ago (Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 pm)

More convenient timing. The man purges his story, and before anyone can question his words, he's gone.

You can't script it any better for the Holocaust industry. Not that you would have to... They already did.
Why the Holocaust Industry exists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A81P6YGw_c

Bob
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Bob » 7 years 7 months ago (Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:23 pm)

Hannover wrote:Doesn't the storyline say that the so called "sonderkommando" were all killed after doing their supposed gruesome work?

Yes, but according to Shlomo, the Germans used not very smart method to identify the bearers of the "terrible secret" and described that miracle in following way:

"But I was happy knowing that I was going to leave that place behind, and especially that I´d managed to escape the liquidation planned for the Sonderkommando. From time to time, during the night, a German passed among the prisoners and yelled, "Wer hat im Sonderkommando gearbeitet?" "Who worked in the Sonderkommando? Of course, nobody replied. Later on, they continued to ask question regularly, all along the road, since they had no other means of identifying us."

Shlomo Venzia Inside the Gas Chambers, Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz, published in association with USHMM, English Edition, Polity Press, 2009, p. 126

How this question makes sense when there were numerous "sonderkommandos" but not even one related to crematoria staff as proven by documents? (edit - I forgot to add one still quite new exception mentioning this term in connection with crematorium) Did the Germans expected that all "sonderkommandos" working in alleged chambers will identify themselves to let themselves to be killed? Contrary to what is written in his book, Germans had documentation and prisoners were allegedly tattooed so there was no problem to identify them and no reason to use such a ridiculous way to identify the bearers of the"terrible secret". As Carlo Mattogno pointed out:

In reality, the prisoners were evacuated in transports bearing the last name, first name, and registration number. One of them even lists Filip Müller 246. Five Polish prisoners from the 'Sonderkommando'247 had already been transferred to Mauthausen on 5 January 1945 248. The transfer was even recorded in the personnel cards of these prisoners, as shown by that of the Kapo M. Morawa 249. If, therefore, the SS had really wished to exterminate the prisoners from the 'Sonderkommando', there would have been no escape for these men.

246. AGK, 131-12.
247. Wacław Lipka (n. 2520), Mieczysław Morawa (n. 9730), Józef Ilczuk (n. 14916), Władysław Biskup (n. 74501) and Jan Agrestowski (no. 74545).
248. Facsimile of the original document in: Inmitten des grauenvollen Verbrechens. Handschriften von Mitgliedern des Sonderkommandos. Hefte von Auschwitz, Sonderheft (I), Oświęcim, 1972, p. 44.
249. Idem, pp.50-51, facsimile of the original document.

http://www.inconvenienthistory.com/arch ... ambers.php

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”