Testimonies on flames from Auschwitz crematorium chimneys

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: Testimonies on flames from Auschwitz crematorium chimney

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:01 am)

Dr. Aharon Bejlin, a Polish-born Israeli Jew who arrived in Auschwitz during September 1943. He went on to work for the Israeli Health Ministry.

On August 28, 1964 he testified at the Auschwitz-Frankfurt trial, telling the court:

Und ich wußte, im Gegensatz zu anderen vielleicht, die nicht wußten. Ich wußte. Überhaupt haben wir gewußt. Das westeuropäische Judentum hat nicht gewußt. Insoweit nicht gewußt, daß ein holländischer Arzt, der gekommen ist mit einem holländischen Transport und zugeteilt wurde ins Zigeunerlager, mich gefragt hat: »Was ist das?« Das war das rote Ziegelsteingebäude mit diesem rechteckigen Schornstein, wo die Flamme länger als der Schornstein war. Und ich in meiner Naivität, in meiner psychologischen Unerfahrenheit - für mich war das eine geläufige Angelegenheit, daß jeder, der nach Auschwitz kommt, weiß, was dieses Gebäude bedeutet - habe ihm offen gesagt: »Da werden Leute verbrannt, vergast und eingeäschert.« Sagt er: »Sie erzählen Greuelmärchen.« Der hat mir nicht geglaubt. Das wollte ich nur als Beispiel [+ anführen], daß sie nicht wußten. Aber wir wußten.

http://www.auschwitz-prozess.de/index.p ... ejlin-Aron
Nazis tried to create super-soldiers, using steroids ... they sought to reanimate the dead—coffins of famous Germanic warriors were found hidden in a mine, with plans to bring them back to life at the war’s end.
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:27 am)

Here we have an SS man denying having seen the flames from the crematoria.

Christoph Herpel was a former Oberscharführer who'd worked as an admin clerk at Auschwitz for a year in 1942/3. He was sentenced to 3 years imprisonment by the Poles in 1948 for being a member of a criminal organisation—they didn't have anything specific to pin on him.
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procesy_za ... i_polskimi

On November 9, 1964 he testified as a witness at the Frankfurt-Auschwitz trial, where he had the following exchange with associate prosecutor Henry Ormond aka Hans Ludwig Jacobsohn:

Associate-accuser Prosecutor Ormond:
Witness, when you returned into the quarters during the night, when you were out or had vacation or the like or vacation to the city, have you then not seen the flames blazing in the night sky out of the crematoria?

Witness Christoph Herpel:
No.

Associate-accuser Prosecutor Ormond:
Seen nothing?

Witness Christoph Herpel:
No.

http://www.auschwitz-prozess.de/index.p ... -Christoph

Herpel's testimony is interesting because he admits to having heard they were gassing Jews at Auschwitz, but said he thought it was just a rumour. He also told the court that the awful stench around the place was caused by the burning of cow carcasses, particularly the horns.
Last edited by TheBlackRabbitofInlé on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nazis tried to create super-soldiers, using steroids ... they sought to reanimate the dead—coffins of famous Germanic warriors were found hidden in a mine, with plans to bring them back to life at the war’s end.
- Prof. Noah Charney

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:40 am)

Apologies if this has been posted earlier in this long thread:

Flames and Smoke from the Chimneys of Crematoria

Optical Phenomena of Actual Cremations in the Concentration Camps of the Third Reich

By Carlo Mattogno

http://www.vho.org/tr/2004/1/Mattogno73-78.html

Mattogno argues that occasional chimney fires caused by accumulation of soot would be quite possible but not flames from burning human fat .

On the other hand, he says emission of smoke would be normal, contrary to the arguments of some revisionists.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:07 am)

TheBlackRabbitofInlé wrote:An SS confession about flaming chimneys!

SS-Rottenführer Richard Böck. Screenshot of him featuring in the documentary The World at War, pt. 20

Germar Rudolf quotes Böck from an interrogation he under went in 1959 (I think) for the forthcoming Frankfurt-Auschwitz trial:

“In any case, during the entire time of my presence in Auschwitz I could observe that inmate corpses were cremated in the old crematory. This decreased somewhat only toward the end of 1944. I could see every day how the flames shot two meters high out of the chimney. It also smelled intensively like burned flesh.”

- Richard Böck

cf. Germar Rudolf, Lectures on the Holocaust: Controversial Issues Cross-Examined, Second Edition, p. 381.
http://holocausthandbooks.com/dl/15-loth.pdf

I recall that this picture was from some "documentary" that featured Boeck... Anyone a link to that video? There was more nonsense in it.

borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby borjastick » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:10 am)

Is the assumption that all the witness statements were made either under duress or simply because that's what they had heard others say, and so felt they should fall in line?

I have many years' experience of wood burning stoves and accept Kingfisher may have a point in his last post. Chimney fires, which have been discussed here before, do happen, especially when soft wood or unseasoned wood has been used for some time. However coke or coal type fuel may not cause them the same way.

I had a chimney fire a month or two ago. In tackling it I went up to the chimney on the roof. There were no great flames flying up into the sky. In fact the heat was so intense that the main burning was about 2-3 feet down inside the chimney stack. It wasn't smoking.

My experience of chimneys smoking is that it happens when the temperature isn't up to full efficiency or when it is really very cold outside. The cold helps the draw of the fire but when that heat hits the cold air it shows as smoke.

It was inevitable that some chimney fires would happen from time to time in the crematories at the camps but I don't believe a word of these claims that flames were regularly seen shooting out of the top of the chimneys and could be seen from some distance.
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 am)

Hektor wrote:I recall that this picture was from some "documentary" that featured Boeck... Anyone a link to that video? There was more nonsense in it.

The World at War, episode 20 'Genocide' (the name 'Holocaust' wasn't widely used back then).
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7b5_1275325499
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:43 am)

Böck testified at the Auschwitz-Frankfurt trial as well Hektor. He didn't mention flaming chimneys though.
http://www.auschwitz-prozess.de/index.p ... ck-Richard

You can listen to it on here:
http://www.auschwitz-prozess.de/index.php
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:01 am)

Fire Hazard: Surge in Obesity Sparks Crematorium Blazes

By Ulf Hanke

As the number of obese Germans rises, the funeral industry is scrambling to make adjustments in how larger bodies with more fat can be safely incinerated. A number of crematoriums have suffered severe damage when burning fat overwhelmed their emergency measures.

The crematorium employee in the western German town of Hamelin took a last look at the coffin before pushing it inside the furnace. This was the third coffin he had processed on the morning of January 13, and the body itself weighed over 200 kilograms (440 pounds). Of that, only two kilograms of ashes were supposed to remain after cremation. But, 15 minutes later, flames shot out of the crematorium's 10-meter-high (33-foot-high) stainless-steel chimney, and parts of it began to melt.

Unable to bring the fire under control, the employee called the fire department. Firemen determined that the smoking chimney was glowing at 600 degrees Celsius (1,100 degrees Fahrenheit). They cooled it from the side and used an infrared camera to track the spread of heat through the building. It took four hours to reduce the body in the furnace to ash.

[...]

In September 2009, for example, a 150-kilogram (330-pound) corpse overtaxed the crematorium in the southern German town of Kempten. The chimney grew so hot that it glowed and parts of its piping melted. The fire department arrived and tackled the chimney blaze with a powder extinguishing agent.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 26639.html
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 am)

Interesting first hand experience borjastick.

As for chimney fires, Henry Friedlander in Origins of Nazi Genocide says there was a chimney fire at Hartheim (p.97), which "interrupted the killing operation for several weeks".
- Prof. Noah Charney

Bob
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Bob » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:27 am)

TheBlackRabbitofInlé wrote:Another drawing by Krema III sonderkommando David Olère, claimed to have been drawn in 1945.

Found these video stills on a Japanese site. Not sure what they're taken from.

This picture is not from Olére, check Pressac again, the second picture is from Olére. Video stills are from the movie "The Grey Zone" (2001)

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:33 am)

A picture of the crematorium in Hamelin at which the 440 pound corpse caused flames to shoot out of the chimney:

http://www.dewezet.de/portal/lokales/ha ... 94871.html
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34 am)

Bob wrote:
TheBlackRabbitofInlé wrote:Another drawing by Krema III sonderkommando David Olère, claimed to have been drawn in 1945.

Found these video stills on a Japanese site. Not sure what they're taken from.

This picture is not from Olére, check Pressac again, the second picture is from Olére. Video stills are from the movie "The Grey Zone" (2001)

Thanks for the correction.
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:49 am)

200 kilo corpse shuts down crematorium in Seewen, Switzerland. No flames out the chimney mentioned.
http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/toter- ... 51661.html
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm)

Nazi Concentration Camps (1945) http://youtu.be/T2AGFbeDdPE?t=48m38s

http://www.yadvashem.org/yv/en/educatio ... esson8.asp

"Hadassah Rosensaft is flanked by her future husband, Josef, left, and Earl Harrison, President Truman's special envoy, at the Bergen-Belsen camp, July 1945."
http://azjewishpost.com/2011/first-pers ... auschwitz/

Dr. Hadassah Rosensaft aka Ada Bimko, probably the most notorious of all the liars who submitted an affidavit for and/or testified at the first Belsen trial. She made no mention of flaming chimneys in her affidavit or testimony but did mention them in her book, which she was supposedly writing when she died (1997), so her son finished it for her!

"In my barrack I met a few of my former patients who had arrived a few days earlier. One of them noticed my bewildered look when from afar I saw a chimney spitting fire. Trying to be merciful, she said, "Dr. Bimko, this is a bakery. There they bake bread.” In my terrible ignorance, I believed what she said. How could I bear to think that those flames had reduced my family to ashes? Then, after a few days, I realized that this was the chimney that had spit out the fire that had consumed my parents, my son, my husband, and hundreds of thousands of other Jews."

Hadassah Rosensaft, Yesterday: My Story, NY: Yad Vashem and the Holocaust Survivors' Memoirs Project, 2005, p.28.

Upon arrival at Auschwitz, her husband and her child were killed. She does not privilege the reader with a grand description of the emotions she felt. She sticks closely, perhaps all too closely, to the facts,

- Yesterday (My Story) (review), by Michael Berenbaum
http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&type=s ... nbaum.html

:
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 5 years 8 months ago (Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:09 am)

Thaddeus Stabholz, a Jew born in Warsaw who survived: Treblinka, Majdanek, Auschwitz-Birkenau, Sachsenhausen and Dachau.

Several hours after our arrival in Birkenau, a transport of four thousand French Jews arrive. One hundred fifty men and fifty women entered the camp. Three thousand eight hundred have gone to the gas chamber. The flames shot high into the air; the chimneys belched smoke for several hours. There was a terrible stench of burning bones and bodies pervading the entire camp. (p.101)

It is spring. The sun is warm; birds are singing. Grass in the nearby fields is turning green. Even a few dwarfed trees growing close to the crematoria are budding. A ray of hope enters our souls and maybe . . . just maybe?
A locomotive's screeching whistle shocks us back into reality and all of our hopes are dashed like papier maché dwellings before hurricane winds. Cattle cars approach the ramp, and the drama starts again. They try to pull people to the crematoria by every means possible: to two, three, four, and five, and the little peasant house on the beautiful road with its ornate signs announcing in many languages, "One hundred meters to the bath".
One train leaves; two others have already unloaded their human cargo. The old gypsy section is crowded with prisoners talking a language totally incomprehensible to me.
The newcomers have no idea where they are. They look wide-eyed at the smoke and flames coming from all of the chimneys and deep ravines. The stench spreads through the entire camp, permeating the barracks. (p.239)

- Thaddeus Stabholz on Birkenau

Thaddeus Stabholz, translators: Jacques & Hilda R. Grunblatt, Seven Hells, New York: Holocaust Library, 1990 (the book was originally published in Polish during 1947).
- Prof. Noah Charney

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”