Joan Rivers under fire for Holocaust joke

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
spaceboy

Joan Rivers under fire for Holocaust joke

Postby spaceboy » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:12 pm)

Joan Rivers (Jew), has recently went under fire for making a "Holocaust Joke". Heidi Klum (German), was attending Elton John's AIDS Foundation Academy Awards party. Klum was wearing a dress, which I'm assuming Rivers found to be too revealing, so Rivers had this to say about Klum's dress: "The last time a German looked this hot was when they were pushing Jews into the ovens"

The ADL said in response: the comments were "vulgar and offensive to Jews and Holocaust survivors"
Wow. Funny how they didn't say that it might have been offensive to Klum. It sounded more like an offensive Anti-German remark, rather than an Anti-Jewish remark.

Later, Rivers said: "My husband lost the majority of his family at Auschwitz, and I can assure you that I have always made it a point to remind people of the Holocaust through humor"

Yeah. I'm perpetually reminded. I can rarely watch an episode of Family Guy without at least one subtle reference to "The Holocaust". Also, her joke seemed to imply the infamous accusation that Germans put Jews into ovens alive, which no historian even believes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... e/1955033/
Last edited by spaceboy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renewal

Re: Joan Rivers under fire for Holocaust joke

Postby Renewal » 6 years 9 months ago (Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 am)

Jokes are usually not anti- anything. They are "offended" because joking about something controversial drills holes in its credibility.

ginger
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: Joan Rivers under fire for Holocaust joke

Postby ginger » 6 years 9 months ago (Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 pm)

I made a comment similar to yours, spaceboy, on a Joy Behar segment on the Current TV Website. I said how offensive Joan River's remark could be to Heidi Klum, and did people really think that Germans pushed living people into ovens. The moderator did not post my comments.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”