French Gayssot Act

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: French Gayssot Act

Postby Kingfisher » 6 years 9 months ago (Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:48 am)

Thames Darwin wrote:I think "press" is being interpreted in rather a broad way in the case of the Gayssot law. In theory, it applies to written material, as opposed to oral statements. The law was passed with Faurisson very particularly in mind, although you have to wonder why, given that he'd already been fined at least twice before 1990 under a racial incitement law. I presume it was to tack on larger fines for printing rather than just speaking.
The law modified by Gayssot was passed in the days when "the press" was the only form of mass media. I think the courts would probably rule that any form of media publicly distributed would fall within the intention of that law. There must be case law, separate from Gayssot, where this has been tested. I would say that Gayssot therefore covers film, TV, radio, printed brochures, the Web, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc, but not private speech including private email or text messages unless distributed in bulk. Public speaking if not recorded and reported,or recorded and reported without the consent of the speaker is a moot point, but I think likely, in practice, to be included, on the ground that anyone speaking in public can reasonably expect what he says to be reported, and may even be presumed to have intended it.

[The constitutionality of Gayssot and its status under UN Human Rights rulings are separate matters not covered in this post.]

borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby borjastick » 6 years 9 months ago (Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 am)

Kingfisher you may well be correct about the law covering all forms of 'media' though in my experience of France the law does NOT include electronic mediums. Eg. if one wants to cancel an insurance policy an email will not suffice, nor will it suffice as a legal communication etc.

This may not be relevant though for legal acts that are for such a subject.
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 6 years 9 months ago (Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 am)

borjastick wrote:Kingfisher you may well be correct about the law covering all forms of 'media' though in my experience of France the law does NOT include electronic mediums. Eg. if one wants to cancel an insurance policy an email will not suffice, nor will it suffice as a legal communication etc.

This may not be relevant though for legal acts that are for such a subject.

I don't think the parallel is valid. I think that a law from 1881 (?) that covered what you are allowed to say in "la presse" and still in force today would be interpreted as covering all successor media to the press which serve the same function in today's society. A perfectly reasonable interpretation that I would not quibble with. Our beef is with the specific content of Gayssot, not what constitutes "la presse".

astro3
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby astro3 » 6 years 8 months ago (Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:49 am)

France’s Gayssot Act also prohibited “any discrimination founded on membership or non-membership of an ethnic group, a nation, a race or a religion.” So France, wishing to promote uniformity and full racial-cultural mongrelisation has banned any clubs or meetings that are for a specific religion, race or nationality. Again I don’t see why this should be a problem for Revisionists.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”