Mel Gibson cannonballed by Diane Sawyer

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Mel Gibson cannonballed by Diane Sawyer

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:36 am)

:) In an interview televised this past Monday night concearning his new film,"THE PASSION OF CHRIST",Mel Gibson sternly declares his belief that six million jews were killed under nazi occupation,while immages of Adolf Hitler appear on the screen at wich time he blurts out typical and obvious comments about Hitler being a madman and a monster.Sawyer starts quoting the magic word,"ANTI-SEMITE",quite q few times in order to phsychologicaly buttonhole him into submission.What need it searves to add Hitler and nazis have to this disscusion on a film about Jesus Christ is quite clear to me that it helps the Judeo supremecist agenda along.An ADL official who's name I can't bring to mind right now,relieves himself of his position in the ADL,while telling jews that they should cease the protest of the film.The way I see things is that jews are the only ones protesting the film,and a protest there of would only make them look worse,especialy at a time in America where there is skeptisism concearning there role in the present war.and US support of Israel.Abe Foxman,the self appointed holocaust survivor, made an appearance on the program,declaring,"No,I don't think the film is anti-semetic."That wasn't his feeling when he first heard about it.One realy quick mention was made about his attending a pre-screaning as a fake cleargy man from a mock congregation,but it was seconds and he was not asked about it.Although Mr. Gibbson stood fast about his father.He wasn't letting Sawyer budge an inch on that subejct.

friedrich braun
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby friedrich braun » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:54 am)

It's useful to remember that Diane Sawyer is married to the Hollywood Jew Mike Nichols.

Hebden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hebden » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:07 am)

Gibson's 'Passion' to Open in 'Select' Theatres Only

If you live on the west side of Manhattan, on most of western Long Island, or in Beverly Hills and you want to see Mel Gibson's controversial new movie "The Passion of the Christ," you will be out of luck.

When the film — which some critics are calling anti-Semitic and inflammatory — opens on Feb. 25, it will be in very select theatres only.

Even though the makers of "The Passion of the Christ" are touting its 2,000 screen premiere, the movie's Web site and another Web site, moviefone.com, tell a very different story.

For example, in the borough of Manhattan in New York City, the film will play in a handful of out-of-the-way-theatres — one in Times Square, two in fringe areas of the East Side, one second-run theatre at Broadway and 100th St. and one in Harlem. There will be one screen below 34th St, and none from 42nd St. to 96th St. on the West Side. This excludes all prestige venues like the Ziegfeld, the Paris, the Beekman and Sony Lincoln Square.

Theater-goers will also be hard-pressed to find "The Passion of the Christ" in Nassau County, Long Island on either the south or north shore, or in affluent Westchester County, New York.

The pattern, for the most part, highlights black neighborhoods and poor neighborhoods. For example, all the Magic Johnson theatres in the country will show the movie, as will multiplexes in urban centers.

Gibson obviously thinks there's a potential problem in Chicago, where "Passion" will be on only two screens. Otherwise, Chicagoans will have to go to the suburbs.

The same goes for the wealthier and trendier parts of Los Angeles such as Beverly Hills and Century City. Those who are curious will have to seek their "Passion" in odd places, in out-of-the-way cineplexes. You won't be able to see it at the Beverly Center, for example. But four theatres in economically less desirable San Jose, Calif. will show the film.

All of this seems designed to keep "The Passion of the Christ" out of neighborhoods that are considered Jewish, upscale or liberal.

On the other hand, Tennessee is targeted for "The Passion of the Christ" with eight locations in Memphis and four each in Nashville and Knoxville. The number of theaters in many more states like Florida, Kentucky, Alabama and Oklahoma is high, especially in rural areas. In Florida, for example, Jacksonville and Tampa — more northern and central cities — will have "Passion" on four or more screens, while typically Jewish areas like Boca Raton will have it one screen if at all.

In Miami, where there's a huge Catholic-Cuban population, "The Passion of the Christ" will play in 10 theaters. In Houston and the Dallas-Fort Worth areas of Texas, there are the same number of theaters or more. Texas, in fact, will offer the most opportunities in the country to see the film.

Newmarket Films, which is distributing the movie, seems to have picked a pattern that concentrates heavily on the south and the Midwest, focusing on the Bible Belt and locations where "The Passion of the Christ" will meet with the least resistance. West Virginia will have about three times as many theaters as Rhode Island, for example. Vermonters have three theatres while their more conservative next-door neighbors in New Hampshire, a state equal in size, will have twelve.

Calls to Newmarket and to its public relations firm were not returned to this column yesterday. But in the positioning of "The Passion of the Christ," Gibson has consciously created a divisive atmosphere for the presentation of his film. For example, he has screened the movie widely for groups on the religious right while avoiding all mainstream groups, as well as film critics for fear of poor advance word.

"The Passion of the Christ" has come under intense criticism for being anti-Semitic from many groups Jewish and otherwise as well as journalists who've seen advance prints. In the current issue of Newsweek, reporter Jon Meacham also accuses director Gibson of completely changing historical references to suit his own agenda in an article called "Who Killed Jesus?"

Meacham writes: "To take the film's account of the 'Passion' literally will give most audiences a misleading picture of what probably happened in those epochal hours so long ago. The Jewish priests and their followers are the villains, demanding the death of Jesus again and again; Pilate is a malleable governor forced into handing down the death sentence."

The battle over "The Passion of the Christ" is coming quickly now, and I for one am sorry that Gibson and Newmarket chose to keep it out of places where they thought the reception would be less than positive. Everyone should have the chance to see this film and decide for themselves if Gibson has done the right or wrong thing with his $25 million.

What will be interesting is seeing how the annual Oscar party given by Gibson's agent, Ed Limato, at his palatial Beverly Hills home will be received two days after the movie's premiere. And then there are the Oscars, where Billy Crystal is no doubt thinking of clever ways to spoof the movie.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly ... 07,00.html

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:45 am)

:? Apparently Mel Gibson had recently gone through the film to delete scenes that would appear "too offensive" to "certain viewers".Sounds to me like he's been buttonholed again.Also,there was a request of him adding aworded frame at the end of the film stating,"Please don't leave this film hating jews." or something closely related to that effect.Doesn't this type of thing just burn you!I realize that the forces behind these things are primarily zionist and organized jewish supremecist groups,and not jews in general,but I think the jews who realize the actions of their leaders are corrupt should voice a stronger opinion of it.I don't hate jews,but they sure as heck aren't making it easy for you to love them.

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:06 am)

:) Also,part of the questioning involved in the interview was directed towrd historical accuracy.I may be wrong,maybe I missed it,but I don't recall Ms. Sawyer interviewing Steven Spielberg about the accuracy of Schindler's list,or asking Spielberg wheather or not he was a German racist,as she asked Gibson wheather he was an anti-semite or not.As well I don't recall any Germans protesting Schindler's list to be an unfair portrayal of Germans,as it clearly was.I don't recall a worded framer at the end of the film stating,"Please don't leave this film hating Germans."Jewish supremicists make themselves look guiltier every day.Not only is the pressure of revisionist efforts crumbling the wall that holocausters hide behind,the holocausters are also doing it to themselves beacuse they think that the general public will continue to fall for there lies no matter what absurd stories they come up with.The day is comming.Everyday a few more bricks fall of the wall,slowly exposing their true faces,partly of their own carelessness.Lies make a bad foundation for a wall.Eventualy it starts to break down from pressure.

Temporary on hold

Postby Temporary on hold » 1 decade 5 years ago (Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:41 pm)

I thought that Gibson did fairly well under Sawyer's attempts to bait him although he was a bit fidgety. Yes he went a bit too far in distancing himself from his father's Holocaust revisionist views for my taste but he didn't actually bring up the famous six million. He merely shrugged at Sawyer's mention of the figure.

Abe Foxman was let off the hook in disgraceful fashion on the show, appearing only to say that he didn't consider Gibson to be anti-Semitic when in fact he had charged Gibson and his film with that very thing previously. Sawyer should have introduced Foxman by mentioning his past charges and giving him a chance to explain or recant. Foxman's latest ploy is that he is over in Rome trying to get the Vatican to distance itself from the film, apparently without success. I suppose that will soon be used as another example of the Vatican's anti-Semitism!

I was impressed by the criticism of the film by (the former clergyman?), Crossan, who said the film lacked context in that it didn't tell the audience why the Jewish leaders so hated Jesus that they wanted him crucified. It was because of His teachings and His strong criticism of those same leaders, the Scribes and the Pharisees. Gibson had trouble handling that criticism, first trying to dismiss it with a quip, but finally admitting the lack of context and saying that people would have to figure that out for themselves. I thought it was a valid point by Crossan but of course if Gibson had gotten into that in his film the attack from the present sources would have been enormously greater! Can you imagine?

Finally, I liked Gibson's comment that he wasn't sure he wanted to return to his former roles in Hollywood (fat chance after this!) but might seek a quiet life in a remote area, say so remote as to be near...the "weapons of mass destruction"! Now he's going to have George Bush against him! Why not?

Hebden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hebden » 1 decade 5 years ago (Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:20 pm)

Temporary on hold wrote:I thought that Gibson did fairly well under Sawyer's attempts to bait him although he was a bit fidgety. Yes he went a bit too far in distancing himself from his father's Holocaust revisionist views for my taste but he didn't actually bring up the famous six million. He merely shrugged at Sawyer's mention of the figure.

Mr. Gibson Snr.'s reported views (6.2 million Jews in Poland, a litre of petrol to cremate a body in 20 minutes) certainly raise the question of his competence to speak on the subject. As for his agreeing to talk on the record to a radio talk show host by the name of Feuerstein, it's no wonder his son is so eager to protect him from the limelight.

Foxman's latest ploy is that he is over in Rome trying to get the Vatican to distance itself from the film, apparently without success. I suppose that will soon be used as another example of the Vatican's anti-Semitism!

We're sure he'll be mightily pleased to read the following article from this week's The Catholic Times:

WHEN Mel Gibson's film, The Passion of the Christ, opens on Ash Wednesday, a spotlight will turn on a little known but influential figure in the movie's genesis: Sr Anne Catherine Emmerich.

Sr Emmerich, a German mystic and stigmatic who died in 1824, is drawing attention for several reasons.

Gibson has said he was inspired to make the movie in part by her book of visions, The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, which added detailed episodes to the Gospel account of Christ's suffering and death. Whether she actually wrote the book, however, has been questioned by Vatican experts.

Other scholars, Jewish and Catholic have said Sr Emmerich's writings reflect the anti-Semitism of her time, particularly in her depiction of the Jews' role in Christ's death.

Pope John Paul II, meanwhile, is said to take an intense interest in Sr Emmerich and her life. Under his papacy, her sainthood cause has advanced to the point where she is expected to be beatified, probably sometime early next year.

By that time, Sr Emmerich already may have had her 15 minutes of fame thanks to Gibson's movie.

In an interview with The New Yorker last autumn, Gibson said Sr Emmerich's writings had supplied him with "amazing images" and "stuff I never would have thought of". How much of it shows up in the final version of the film remains to be seen.

In pre-release screenings attended by Church officials in Rome, one easily recognisable scene from Sr Emmerich stood out: After Christ is scourged, Pilate's wife takes towels to a grief-stricken Mary so she can wipe up the blood.

Sr Emmerich also envisioned Satan as physically present among the crowd as it called for Jesus' death and witnessed his suffering. Gibson ended up casting a woman as Satan, all of which raised some questions at the Vatican.

"The introduction of the figure of the devil does not seem in accordance with what is in scripture," said Archbishop John Foley, the Vatican's top communications official, who has praised Gibson's film.

Throughout Sr Emmerich's narratives on the Passion, Jews are portrayed negatively and repeatedly called "wicked", "cruel" and "hard-hearted". Yet that is not seen as a big problem among the Vatican's saint makers, who have downplayed her writings.

In fact, the very thing that is catapulting Sr Emmerich to wider fame - her mystical account of the Passion - was ultimately given no weight.

The problem, one official explained, was that Sr Emmerich was practically illiterate, and her visions were written down and elaborated by a popular romantic poet of the time, Clemens Brentano. Brentano published them after her death, and there's no way to tell how much liberty he took.

"There is a serious problem of authenticity," said Jesuit Fr Peter Gumpel, who helped study the issue for the Vatican's Congregation for Saints' Causes.

Since it was impossible to distinguish what derives from Sr Emmerich and what is embroidery or addition, Brentano's material was ignored, said Fr Gumpel.

In fact, other Vatican officials said, a common misperception is that in approving a sainthood cause the Church is giving a stamp of approval to everything the person may have written.

"When writings are approved, it's in a negative sense: that there's nothing in them against faith and morals. That's not the same as a positive approval," said one official.

So what has prompted the Vatican to declare Sr Emmerich "venerable" and worthy of beatification?

"She's being judged, as always, not on the basis of what she's written but on the basis of her virtues," said Fr Gumpel.

The daughter of a peasant couple, Anne Catherine Emmerich worked as a seamstress and servant before entering an Augustinian convent in 1802, aged 28. Frail and pious, she became known for her ecstasies, visions of the supernatural and "conversations" with Jesus.

She became bedridden in 1813 and developed the stigmata. A Church investigation declared the wounds genuine. Ill for years until her death aged 49, she offered up her suffering for the souls in purgatory.

Sr Emmerich is among several Church figures whose mystical experiences have been popularised in recent years. Her tomb in Dulmen, Germany, draws an increasing number of pilgrims, according to the postulator of her sainthood cause in Rome, Andrea Ambrosi.

With the release of Gibson's movie, Sr Emmerich's written works are being promoted with new energy-. Websites citing "the book that inspired Mel Gibson's Passion project" offer her writings on the passion, as well as her other volumes on the life of Christ, on Mary and on biblical revelations.

Last year Rome approved a miracle attributed to her intercession, but as yet no date has been set for Sr Emmerich's beatification. Early in 2005 seems likely, by which time The Passion of the Christ will be out of cinemas and onto DVD.

Sr Emmerich's native Archdiocese of Munster would like her to be beatified along with Cardinal Clemens Van Galen, an outspoken opponent of Hitler. A joint ceremony would be better logistically and would avoid the embarrassing situation of many pilgrims coming to Rome for Sr Emmerich and fewer for Cardinal Van Galen, Ambrosi said.

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:40 pm)

Temporary on hold wrote:I thought that Gibson did fairly well under Sawyer's attempts to bait him although he was a bit fidgety. Yes he went a bit too far in distancing himself from his father's Holocaust revisionist views for my taste but he didn't actually bring up the famous six million. He merely shrugged at Sawyer's mention of the figure.
:) Mr.Temporary on hold,I apreciate your response.However,I hung on to every word.Dianne Sawyer asked Mr. Gibson if he beleaved millions of jews were killed under the nazi regime,and he said undoubtedly yes.He absolutely beleaves that millions of jews were killed under the nazi regime.He then went on to make a typical and illinformed comment about Hitler being a madman.

Hebden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hebden » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:09 pm)

Hebden wrote: As for his agreeing to talk on the record to a radio talk show host by the name of Feuerstein, it's no wonder his son is so eager to protect him from the limelight.

Reprinted from NewsMax.com

Friday, Feb. 20, 2004
Gibson's Family: Father Tricked Into Interview

When Mel Gibson's 85-year-old father, Hutton, told a New York radio interviewer Wednesday that the Holocaust had been exaggerated and that Jews were trying to rule the world, he had no idea he was speaking on the record, let alone being recorded for broadcast, Gibson family sources tell NewsMax.

When WSNR's Steve Feuerstein called Gibson's father in Texas, the family believes he misrepresented himself as a fan of Gibson's, saying he wanted to "congratulate Mel's father" on his son's work. Hutton Gibson says the caller claimed his mother maintained a Web site devoted to "The Passion of the Christ."

Feuerstein allegedly said nothing to Mr. Gibson about a radio interview.

With no idea that his comments were being taped, Gibson's father made no attempt to disguise his views. He told Feuerstein that the number of Jews killed in the Holocaust had been fabricated.

"It's all - maybe not all fiction - but most of it is," he told the radio interviewer.

According to the account obtained by NewsMax, the elderly Gibson talked to Feuerstein for almost an hour before asking for further identification. The talk host promised to call back with more details, but never did.

Feuerstein did not return calls for comment.

So far, Hutton Gibson has not publicly apologized for the explosive remarks. But in previous interviews, first with the Wall Street Journal's Peggy Noonan, Mel Gibson noted he didn't share his father's revisionist views on the Holocaust. The actor-director said he had friends who had survived the death camps.

"Do I believe that there were concentration camps where defenseless and innocent Jews died cruelly under the Nazi regime? Of course I do, absolutely," Gibson told ABC's Diane sawyer. "It was an atrocity of monumental proportion."

Asked about an earlier interview where Gibson senior offered similarly offensive views, the Hollywood star complained: "Their whole agenda here, my detractors, is to drive a wedge between me and my father. And it's not going to happen. I love him. He's my father."

Gibson's father's comments were the topic Thursday night of Alan Colmes' national radio show.

James Hirsen, a NewsMax columnist, was interviewed and said that Hutton Gibson's "statement is indefensible, but it is also irrelevant. Mel's dad didn't make the movie; Mel Gibson did."

Rabbi James Rudin of American Jewish Committee, who also was on the show, agreed with Hirsen's point.

We thought it was illegal in America to tape someone's telephone conversation without their knowledge/consent. At least, that's our memory from the Linda Tripp case.

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:11 pm)

We thought it was illegal in America to tape someone's telephone conversation without their knowledge/consent. At least, that's our memory from the Linda Tripp case.

There seems to be a tendency withing certain groups to engage in illegal and unethical behavior.
see:
http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=571
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Hebden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Hebden » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:20 pm)

We learn that the Tripp case involved the state law of Maryland.

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:57 am)

The actor-director said he had friends who had survived the death camps. :? This is an interesting comment.We would have to assume that theses are much older freinds compared to Gibson's age.No problem with that,however,depending on the ages of these freinds,I think it important to examine weather they were old enought to know what was going on during that period(much like Abe Foxman).More importantly,what is it they were claiming to Gibson?Where they talking of gas chambers,or millions of dead and thousands of executions everyday?Or maybe some new fantastic stories no one has heard yet.A comment like that can be very missleading to someone listening because of the ever present traditional horror stories psychologicaly imposed on ordinary citizens.As soon as he claimed he had friends that were interned at these camps,automaticly one would have visions of gas chambers and huge piles of dead bodies as true.

Postby Moderator » 1 decade 5 years ago (Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:16 am)

Let's be careful here, we don't want this thread to turn in to an endless Biblical debate. Let's also try to keep the comments somehow related to the 'holocaust' story.
I deleted 2 posts which strayed too far afield.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Only lies need to be shielded from debate, truth welcomes it.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”