Trauma for Grandchildren (!) of Holocaust Survivors

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Mulegino1
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Trauma for Grandchildren (!) of Holocaust Survivors

Postby Mulegino1 » 5 years 5 months ago (Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:02 pm)

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/ne ... s-1.424480

New Israeli study finds signs of trauma in grandchildren of Holocaust survivors
Study detects unprocessed, indirect signs of post-trauma, or problems in communication and interaction systems, among second-and-third-generation descendants of Holocaust victims.
By Dan Even | Apr. 16, 2012 | 1:18 AM | 6

One of the most controversial subjects in academic research on the Holocaust is the trauma's impact on future generations. A new study carried out by Haifa University argues that Holocaust trauma signs can be identified among third-generation grandchildren.
The study, carried out by Dr. Miri Scharf and Prof. Ofra Mayseless from Haifa University's Education Department, detects unprocessed, indirect signs of post-trauma, or problems in communication and interaction systems, among second-and-third-generation descendants of Holocaust victims.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Follow Haaretz.com on Facebook and share your views.
The study is based on in-depth interviews conducted with 196 Israelis who are second-generation descendants, and are considered functioning adults who do not suffer from psychological disturbances, and their children, third-generation descendants, a group with an average age of 18. The researchers identified three experiential patterns of distress that are liable to be passed down from generation to generation.
Threatening reality
Initially, the research discerned a tendency to focus on matters connected to survival. Second-generation participants in the study testified that their Holocaust survivor parents were emotionally engaged in a survival struggle in which the world was viewed as a threatening reality filled with unexpected events; the parents continually prepared themselves for the unknown.
Some participants in the survey said that their parents were overly protective, and prevented them, when they were children, from going out on outings, or visiting friends.
Many participants recalled that their parents were worried that they (the children ) would suffer harm, or die suddenly. As a result, many second-generation participants developed fears about harm being caused to their parents, or about their parents' deaths. In addition, fears among the parents were expressed via preparation for some future calamity - parents would hoard food and other items, and would make efforts to feed their children so that they would gain weight and be immune to danger.
The study argues that these survival concerns are often passed down from generation to generation, and can now be documented among teenagers who belong to the third generation.
These teenagers testified that the survival worries of their second-generation parents focused mainly on anxieties about hunger and the development of disease. According to the researchers, despite the fact that second-generation daughters mainly considered their parents' anxieties a nuisance, some of them passed down the very same anxieties to their own children.
Lack of support
The researchers compiled testimony provided by second-generation participants, relating to the perceived lack of emotional support given to them by their parents. Some participants in the study reported that their parents were unable to develop warm, supportive relationships, when they needed such support in their childhood years.
Survivor parents were perceived by some second-generation children as being inaccessible, cold and distant. And even though these second-generation participants described their parents' inaccessibility as being problematic, some of them were perceived by their own children as being remote and cold.
Out of 30 women in this second-generation group who testified that their parents were cold and distant, 20 of them have teenage children who complain of similar experiences with their parents. The same dynamic was reported by 14 children of 30 second-generation fathers.
Finally, the researchers identified a tendency among second-generation participants to try to please their parents, and make them happy; this trait has been passed along to third-generation teenagers.
As the researchers put it, "the child's need to worry about his or her parents' happiness represents a way of trying to draw closer to his or her parents."
Problems aren't extreme
The authors conclude that this new study reinforces findings in previous research studies about the generational transference of Holocaust trauma.
Yet, while the personal narratives provided by second-generation participants feature reports of deep emotional distress, this study did not find extreme behavioral problems among the third-generation teens. Scharf and Mayseless claim that their findings have important implications with respect to the mental health of second and third generation descendants.
They say that health care professionals should be aware of ways in which trauma is passed along through generations. The findings were published in November 2011, in the Qualitative Health Research journal.
Scharf notes that "Holocaust trauma includes extreme, difficult experiences, and it bears mention that survivors did everything they could to cope with these experiences.
A strong majority of them managed to raise exemplary children and grandchildren, and I am full of admiration for them."
The issue of intra-generational transference of trauma is controversial in academia. In the 1980s, preliminary findings about the impact of the Holocaust upon the third generation were presented by Dr. P.A. Rosenthal, a child psychiatrist from New York, and his wife Dr. S. Rosenthal.
The two called on the psychiatric community to develop a psycho-historical approach to care for third generation descendants of Holocaust survivors.
A research study conducted five years ago at the Ruppin Academic Center argued that eating disorders among third-generation female students can be linked to eating problems suffered by their second-generation mothers, and also to the extent to which their grandparents exposed them to Holocaust realities.
But a study published in June 2008 by a team of Israeli researchers, headed by Haifa University's Prof. Avi Sagi-Schwartz, cast doubt upon the influence of the Holocaust upon third-generation descendants.
About half a million Holocaust survivors immigrated to Israel after World War II. Some 200,000 are thought to be living in the country today.

Comment: A few days ago, just to be facetious, I invented a term for something I imagined was in the works, but thought that not even the Shoah Business had the audacity to propose quite yet, "Multi-Generational Post Holocaust Trauma" as well as its treatment, "Multi-Generational Reparations Therapy." Apparently, I was mistaken.

Inquisitor
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: Trauma for Grandchildren (!) of Holocaust Survivors

Postby Inquisitor » 5 years 5 months ago (Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:29 pm)

A more obvious and blatant attempt to extend the "holocaust" racket for many future generations would be hard to imagine.

Dresden
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Dresden » 5 years 5 months ago (Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:42 pm)

"New Israeli study finds signs of trauma in grandchildren of Holocaust survivors"

Surprise, surprise!

"Study detects unprocessed, indirect signs of post-trauma, or problems in communication and interaction systems, among second-and-third-generation descendants of Holocaust victims"

The same...uhh..."study" also expects to "detect" "unprocessed" "indirect" "signs" of post-trauma in fourth, fifth, sixth......82nd, 83rd.....347th, 348th......up to 6,000,000 generations of descendants of "holocaust" victims!

A similar study in Germany of Children of Victims and Survivors of the Dresden, and Hamburg, Holocausts has "detected" nary a "sign" of whimpering or "problems in communication and interaction.....uhh.....systems"

Ditto for Japan; they've scoured the country in search of the elusive Japanese people who are unable to function in life because grandma and grandpa were vaporized or turned into partially roasted glow-in the-dark invalids, to no avail

"One of the most controversial subjects in academic research on the Holocaust is the trauma's impact on future generations"

Controversial?.....What "academic" would have the nerve to controvert this subject and expect to show up at work the next day?

"A new study carried out by Haifa University argues that Holocaust trauma signs can be identified among third-generation grandchildren"

There is no need to "argue" the case; Haifa University simply states it, and it becomes part of objective reality.

"What are your thoughts on this issue? Follow Haaretz.com on Facebook and share your views"

If a sane person shared their views on Haaretz.com on Facebook, their "views" would be instantly deleted, and the person blocked from viewing the page.

'gino; this article sounds like something you would find on a "Holohoax Humor" website posted as satire!

And the Goyim lap it up, and sit up and beg for more, as we slip deeper and deeper into the Age of Insanity!
Maybe, just maybe, they believe what they are telling you about the 'holocaust', but maybe, just maybe, their contempt for your intelligence and your character is beyond anything you could ever have imagined. -- Bradley Smith

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 5 years 5 months ago (Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:47 am)

Right, an Israeli "study", I can't imagine a more biased source with a predetermined outcome.

The lack of honor and pride within these people is truly remarkable. Truth is not valued in such a society.

The characteristics that they describe are likely the result of living lives based upon lies, living in a culture which thrives on mass murder and cruelty, living in a culture which thrives on the hate of others, living in a parasitic culture that cannot sustain itself without demanding handouts from those that they hate. They engage in behavior which causes a type of sickness to permeate all walks of their lives. They are describing characteristics which their own actions have brought about, the goyim had nothing to do with it. And then, predictably, they twist it around in an effort to gain monetarily. A lack of honor and pride indeed. My, my.

The 'holocaust' storyline is one of the most easily debunked narratives ever contrived. That is why those who question it are arrested and persecuted. That is why violent, racist, & privileged Jewish supremacists demand censorship. Truth needs no protection from scrutiny.
The tide is turning.

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Kingfisher » 4 years 8 months ago (Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:40 am)

Here we go again. From today's Guardian:
Jewish activists in Scotland have started a campaign to support the grandchildren of Holocaust survivors across the world, saying the trauma of the extermination camps continues to haunt the descendants of those who suffered there.

Dan Glass, 29, from London, said he heard constant tales of the Holocaust as he grew up, which have deeply affected him into adulthood.

“All four of my grandparents narrowly avoided the gas chambers in Auschwitz and countless of their friends met with this fate. For my father it was a daily conversation in my teens and early 20s and even though I very profoundly understood his pain, one day I had to say to him, ‘Dad, I can’t talk about this anymore.’ My father had a whole wall of books on the subject of the Holocaust – it was all he wanted to talk about, but it was so harrowing for me.”

Glass began speaking to other children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors, initially for an academic thesis, then later as part of the group he founded Never Ever Again!, a reference to the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights pledge. He said he soon realised he was not alone in being scarred by the traumatic pasts of his relatives.

“I have been privileged to hear so many stories from young people who should now be able to live with joy – but their lives are damaged and they weren’t even there,” he said.

Dan Glass Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Dan Glass (right) with his sister Naomi, grandmother Herti and uncle. Photograph: Dan Glass
Glass adds that other grandchildren of survivors have experienced clinical depression, anxiety, addiction and eating disorders, which they blame on the impact of their families constantly retelling stories of the horrific events their relatives endured.

Ken Feinstein, a second generation family member, whose parents were Holocaust survivors and who grew up in Boston, Lincolnshire, told of how his school teacher, who also survived, insisted children as young as eight watched documentaries on the subject.

“When kids would look away from it she would yell at them, ‘You have no right to do that. I buried my family.’ We must have been about seven or eight years old. How do you prepare children of this age for something like that? They just showed it to us and kind of traumatised us. It was definitely meant to shock us into never forgetting,” said Feinstein.

My grandparents rejected the Holocaust survivor label. They weren't alone
Yuliya Komska
Read more
A young woman from London told Glass of how her grandmother, who was in the Dutch resistance, avoided starvation at times by digging up flower bulbs and sucking out the nutrients. The woman later developed anorexia and believes it was related to the war stories that had been passed down the line and never processed.

Trauma research about the impact of the Holocaust on subsequent generations varies; some studies conclude there is no effect of trauma two generations on, while others claim that breast milk of survivors was affected by stress hormones that impacted on the physiology of the next generation. Some in the field of epigenetics say the intergenerational effects of the Holocaust are very pronounced and that the atrocities altered the DNA of victims’ descendants, so that they have different stress hormone profiles to their peers.

Psychologist Ruth Barnett, whose Jewish father fled Germany for Shanghai, narrowly escaping the Holocaust, says she has witnessed inherited trauma in some of her clients.

“Constantly talking about events like the gas chambers to grandchildren is a way that traumatised people try to get rid of it – by sicking it up. But unless it is processed properly, they make even more anxiety for themselves and other generations.”

Our grandparents went through one horror, but it is important that we learn to debrief to bring about wholesale recovery
Dan Glass
Never Ever Again! wants to move from what it calls “melancholic memorialisation” to “positive action”, and is calling for mental health provision to treat inherited trauma, as well as campaigning on various issues, including increased surveillance of fascist groups across Europe, supporting the Human Rights Act and challenging anti-immigration legislation.

Glass says that while it is essential to preserve historical facts, the traumatising effect of memory should be addressed now. “Our grandparents went through one horror, but it is important that we learn to process and debrief from their story to bring about wholesale recovery for this generation and the next.

“We should be releasing these old wounds to something beautiful rather than staying paralysed in memory and fear. Until then we cannot properly celebrate their lives or any kind of victory.

“What would our grandparents have felt if they had known we have had to carry their torment through generations? Wouldn’t they have wanted us to find the peace that was robbed from them? Wouldn’t they want us whole and living lives that they lost?

“I realised that if they could speak to us beyond the grave many would have agreed the mourning has to stop and be replaced with something more constructive.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/03/holocaust-survivors-grandchildren-inherited-trauma

"paralysed in memory and fear" .... "For this generation and the next"!
My wife's grandfather was gassed and wounded at Verdun. He was traumatised by it and talked about it all the time. No one has ever suggested my wife should receive any counselling for it.

Mulegino1
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Mulegino1 » 4 years 8 months ago (Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:44 pm)

Kingfisher wrote:Here we go again. From today's Guardian:
Jewish activists in Scotland have started a campaign to support the grandchildren of Holocaust survivors across the world, saying the trauma of the extermination camps continues to haunt the descendants of those who suffered there.

Dan Glass, 29, from London, said he heard constant tales of the Holocaust as he grew up, which have deeply affected him into adulthood.

“All four of my grandparents narrowly avoided the gas chambers in Auschwitz and countless of their friends met with this fate. For my father it was a daily conversation in my teens and early 20s and even though I very profoundly understood his pain, one day I had to say to him, ‘Dad, I can’t talk about this anymore.’ My father had a whole wall of books on the subject of the Holocaust – it was all he wanted to talk about, but it was so harrowing for me.”

Glass began speaking to other children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors, initially for an academic thesis, then later as part of the group he founded Never Ever Again!, a reference to the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights pledge. He said he soon realised he was not alone in being scarred by the traumatic pasts of his relatives.

“I have been privileged to hear so many stories from young people who should now be able to live with joy – but their lives are damaged and they weren’t even there,” he said.

Dan Glass Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Dan Glass (right) with his sister Naomi, grandmother Herti and uncle. Photograph: Dan Glass
Glass adds that other grandchildren of survivors have experienced clinical depression, anxiety, addiction and eating disorders, which they blame on the impact of their families constantly retelling stories of the horrific events their relatives endured.

Ken Feinstein, a second generation family member, whose parents were Holocaust survivors and who grew up in Boston, Lincolnshire, told of how his school teacher, who also survived, insisted children as young as eight watched documentaries on the subject.

“When kids would look away from it she would yell at them, ‘You have no right to do that. I buried my family.’ We must have been about seven or eight years old. How do you prepare children of this age for something like that? They just showed it to us and kind of traumatised us. It was definitely meant to shock us into never forgetting,” said Feinstein.

My grandparents rejected the Holocaust survivor label. They weren't alone
Yuliya Komska
Read more
A young woman from London told Glass of how her grandmother, who was in the Dutch resistance, avoided starvation at times by digging up flower bulbs and sucking out the nutrients. The woman later developed anorexia and believes it was related to the war stories that had been passed down the line and never processed.

Trauma research about the impact of the Holocaust on subsequent generations varies; some studies conclude there is no effect of trauma two generations on, while others claim that breast milk of survivors was affected by stress hormones that impacted on the physiology of the next generation. Some in the field of epigenetics say the intergenerational effects of the Holocaust are very pronounced and that the atrocities altered the DNA of victims’ descendants, so that they have different stress hormone profiles to their peers.

Psychologist Ruth Barnett, whose Jewish father fled Germany for Shanghai, narrowly escaping the Holocaust, says she has witnessed inherited trauma in some of her clients.

“Constantly talking about events like the gas chambers to grandchildren is a way that traumatised people try to get rid of it – by sicking it up. But unless it is processed properly, they make even more anxiety for themselves and other generations.”

Our grandparents went through one horror, but it is important that we learn to debrief to bring about wholesale recovery
Dan Glass
Never Ever Again! wants to move from what it calls “melancholic memorialisation” to “positive action”, and is calling for mental health provision to treat inherited trauma, as well as campaigning on various issues, including increased surveillance of fascist groups across Europe, supporting the Human Rights Act and challenging anti-immigration legislation.

Glass says that while it is essential to preserve historical facts, the traumatising effect of memory should be addressed now. “Our grandparents went through one horror, but it is important that we learn to process and debrief from their story to bring about wholesale recovery for this generation and the next.

“We should be releasing these old wounds to something beautiful rather than staying paralysed in memory and fear. Until then we cannot properly celebrate their lives or any kind of victory.

“What would our grandparents have felt if they had known we have had to carry their torment through generations? Wouldn’t they have wanted us to find the peace that was robbed from them? Wouldn’t they want us whole and living lives that they lost?

“I realised that if they could speak to us beyond the grave many would have agreed the mourning has to stop and be replaced with something more constructive.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/03/holocaust-survivors-grandchildren-inherited-trauma

"paralysed in memory and fear" .... "For this generation and the next"!
My wife's grandfather was gassed and wounded at Verdun. He was traumatised by it and talked about it all the time. No one has ever suggested my wife should receive any counselling for it.

My grandfather (with the AEF) also got the German's mustard gas at Chateau-Thierry. In debates I like to reply "My grandfather really was gassed by the Germans!"

EtienneSC
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby EtienneSC » 4 years 8 months ago (Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:11 pm)

This is the same group who harassed Nigel Farage during the UK general election in 2015, isn't it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32020557
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dan-glass/
Dan Glass is an award-winning activist, academic, performer and writer who was named as one of Attitude Magazine’s campaigning role models for LGBTQI youth, and a Guardian "UK youth climate leader." An agitator from the Training for Transformation educational program born out of the anti-apartheid movement, the core of Dan's work is the development of critical consciousness and creativity to spur people "to read their reality and write their own history."

He should come here: there's plenty of critical consciousness and history writing on CODOH!

Inquisitor
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Inquisitor » 4 years 8 months ago (Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:30 pm)

So...let's sift through this preposterous nonsense and find out what this is REALLY all about. Oh look what we have here...

And there we have it! Once again we find Leftwing/neo-Bolshevik agitation hiding behind "holocaust" propaganda and further exploiting the gullible and uncritical masses.

______

Atigun
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Atigun » 4 years 8 months ago (Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:12 am)

I just ran across a proposal for a new plaque at Auschwitz and thought it appropriate for this thread.

"Between 1940 and 1945 people died here.
It does not matter how they died or how many there were.
All you need to know is because a few of them were Jews,
You must therefore pay Jews forever."

I thought it very appropriate.

Dresden
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Dresden » 4 years 8 months ago (Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:31 am)

Atigun said:

"Between 1940 and 1945 people died here.
It does not matter how they died or how many there were.
All you need to know is because a few of them were Jews,
You must therefore pay Jews forever."

You forgot to say "Amen", Atigun.
Maybe, just maybe, they believe what they are telling you about the 'holocaust', but maybe, just maybe, their contempt for your intelligence and your character is beyond anything you could ever have imagined. -- Bradley Smith

borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby borjastick » 4 years 8 months ago (Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:50 am)

Surely they should be celebrating as a family that they all survived the so called gas chambers and went on to live happy and fulfilling lives.
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

Atigun
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Atigun » 4 years 7 months ago (Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:37 am)

borjastick wrote:Surely they should be celebrating as a family that they all survived the so called gas chambers and went on to live happy and fulfilling lives.

What could be more joyful and fulfilling for a Jew than not only to "survive" the non existent gas chambers but to screw the goyim out of billions of unearned shekels?

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”