The Inner Life of "St." Anne Frank

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Mulegino1
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

The Inner Life of "St." Anne Frank

Postby Mulegino1 » 5 years 8 months ago (Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:52 pm)

https://www.setonhill.edu/ncche/event.php?id=7290
We Remember: A Concert to Celebrate the Inner Life of Anne Frank
October 23, 2014
7:30 PM - 8:30 PM

Features Daphne Alderson, contralto, and Norma Meyer, piano, in a program which commemorates the 85th anniversary of the birth of Anne Frank. The program features a contemporary cantata based on the descriptions of Anne's inner life as described in her extraordinary diary.

Registration/Directions
Fee: No charge

Sponsored By
Seton Hill University's NCCHE and Division of Visual and Performing Arts
Upcoming Events
10-23-2014 We Remember: A Concert to Celebrate the Inner Life of Anne Frank

The "Inner Life of Anne Frank"??? I remember we Catholics used to be exhorted to reflect on the inner life of men and women like St. Augustine, St. Bonaventure or St. Teresa of Avila, i.e., intellectual and spiritual giants. But Anne Frank? Nothing against her, of course. The unfortunate girl was a victim- of the Second World War- and succumbed from typhus, not poison gas. And she merits our sympathies, along with all of the other victims of the conflict.

Just what is so "extraordinary" about Anne's diary? And I have no idea what appeal it would have for Catholics or even your ordinary lover of fiction. I read the book when I was in the 4th grade (of course it was the Bowdlerized version) and I must say, it was an entirely forgettable experience. It was about as inspiring or riveting as reading a blow by blow account of the Idaho Potato Festival. As kids, we probably would have snickered if we had read the uncensored, scatological version. It is clear to me that Otto Frank had some pretty weird fixations, and sexed up the original considerably.

In any case, I have no idea why Catholics have let themselves be led so sheepishly and somnolently into the Shoah worship. I mean, it is one thing to sympathize with the suffering of others; it is quite another to engage in constant and repetitious groveling and masochistic self-inculpation and mea culpas in deference to a worldwide guilt and reparations extortion racket.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”