ALLIED "EINSATZGRUPPEN" UNITS

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

ALLIED "EINSATZGRUPPEN" UNITS

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:05 am)

:) I remember a comment being made about the allied forces having simmilar units to the Einsatzgruppen.I searched for info on what the units were,but could not find anything.Can anyone out there tell me of any allied units that were simmilar to the Einsatzgruppen?

Sannhet
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Sannhet » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:06 pm)

The Soviet military was notorious for their activities in the rear. NKVD and especially the SMERSH units, aka "Death to Spies". You may have heard of SMERSH because it was this group that commited the Katyn massacre.

here is what I found after a quick google search about these:
During World War II, NKVD units were used for rear area security, including halting deserters. On "liberated" territory the NKVD and NKGB carried out mass arrest and deportations, at times forcibly resettling entire populations (650,000+ Crimean Tatars, Chechens, Ingush, and others) or significant parts (Lithuanians, Poles) to Central Asia and Siberia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NKVD

Smersh (short for Smert' Shpionam (Смерть Шпионам), or "Death to Spies") was formed during the Great Patriotic War, to secure the rear of the active Red Army, on the front to arrest "traitors, deserters, spies, and criminal elements".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smersh

I hope this helps you, and I do know that the Americans and the British had similiar units although I do not recall their names off-hand. The Americans were particularly eager to "secure the rear" after the incident involving English-speaking Germans that had snuck behind the lines and were posing as American soldiers, giving false information to the advancing army, etc.

The war in the West, however, was far different from the War in the East, so far fewer people needed to be dedicated to anti-partisan efforts in the West. I don't even think the Germans employed any Einsatzgruppen in the West.

code yellow
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby code yellow » 1 decade 5 years ago (Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:17 pm)

Thanks Sannhet,that was very usefull.All I read about the NKVD,and never thought about it that way.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”