When being a Revisionist leads to results that challenge you

All aspects including lead-in to hostilities and results.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
TheRoughneck

When being a Revisionist leads to results that challenge you

Postby TheRoughneck » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:17 pm)

I'd like to know your opinion on As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me book by Joseph Bauer.
I've read it, I watched the movie and... I did my research.
As much as I loved the story (and wanted it is a true story), I must admit that it's not based on hard evidence.
If it was published as a FICTION novel with other characters and a more "polished" writing I would write a five star review on amazon (where people really believe it was true).

I created this topic with the intent of sharing my experience as a revisionist.
Many times we, revisionists, can be to much prideful in our analyses as we investigate and critically explore taboo themes like the Holocaust, WWII, etc...
But, as we find many evidence that supports our works, we can never forget that some times we will find data that refutes something that we really wanted to be true. In order to be intellectually honest we have to mitigate our selves and our own prejudices. This is extremely difficult and can only be accomplished as we gain experience through our journeys.

So, in my case, some years ago I had to rethink, study, and meditate on the subject of this book.
I had to swallow my pride and face my precious ego; all to be the most humble as possible and look at the matter and analyze it.
This experience made me stronger and got from myself a more resilient, honest and open-minded person.

Did anyone of you dealt with a similar situation as a revisionist?
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth
Siddhartha Gautama

Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: When being a Revisionist leads to results that challenge you

Postby Lamprecht » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:28 pm)

I'd like to know your opinion on As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me book by Joseph Bauer.

I have not read it, I can only find the German version ("So weit die Füße tragen") on Library Genesis, almost 500 pages.

There is a movie as well. Have you seen the movie and does it do the book justice? You're probably going to have to give more details if you expect someone to invest so much time into a book, especially one that you say may be largely fictional.

But, as we find many evidence that supports our works, we can never forget that some times we will find data that refutes something that we really wanted to be true.

I think this is not a good approach. You should not want something to be true, at least when looking at history. It is an incorrect approach to be involved in this way. You should only want to be correct. Any "I want this to be true" sort of thing should be regarding your personal life, there should not be this sort of involvement in history or science or other academic disciplines. I have been corrected many times on all sorts of subjects, it is a good thing and the sooner I am corrected the better.

History is important but none of the historical subjects discussed here should be of great importance to your personal beliefs. For example, I believe in freedom of speech and I also do not believe the Germans gassed Jews in "extermination camps."
But what if, one day in the future, it was undeniably proven that there were some homicidal gas chambers used in the camps? That would not change my support of freedom of speech; nothing will change that.
"There is a principal which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principal is contempt prior to investigation."
-- Herbert Spencer

Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Lamprecht » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 pm)

"There is a principal which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principal is contempt prior to investigation."
-- Herbert Spencer

TheRoughneck

Postby TheRoughneck » 1 month 3 weeks ago (Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 am)

But, as we find many evidence that supports our works, we can never forget that some times we will find data that refutes something that we really wanted to be true.

I think this is not a good approach. You should not want something to be true, at least when looking at history. It is an incorrect approach to be involved in this way. You should only want to be correct. Any "I want this to be true" sort of thing should be regarding your personal life, there should not be this sort of involvement in history or science or other academic disciplines. I have been corrected many times on all sorts of subjects, it is a good thing and the sooner I am corrected the better.

History is important but none of the historical subjects discussed here should be of great importance to your personal beliefs. For example, I believe in freedom of speech and I also do not believe the Germans gassed Jews in "extermination camps."
But what if, one day in the future, it was undeniably proven that there were some homicidal gas chambers used in the camps? That would not change my support of freedom of speech; nothing will change that.

Yes, you're completely right. I should've been more specific when writing the topic.

About the book:
Yes. That's its cover.
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth
Siddhartha Gautama

Return to “WWII Europe / Atlantic Theater Revisionist Forum”