Suggestion: Google bomb "holocaust denial"

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Synthesis

Suggestion: Google bomb "holocaust denial"

Postby Synthesis » 1 decade 3 years ago (Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:04 pm)

Most people who question the official account of WWII prefer the term "holocaust revisionism" to "holocaust denial", but the problem is that most people have never heard the term "holocaust revisionism" and thus, when looking for information on the subject with a search engine will type in "holocaust denial" or "holocaust deniers". Since holocaust revisionists do not often use these terms themselves, this means that almost all of the pages that come up under these searches are anti-revisionist material. No pro-revisionist materials come up on the first page on Google for either of these searches.

I think we should start a Google bombing campaign for both of these terms. Google bombing, for those who don't know, is where you place many links to the same site using the same link text. Google determines a site's PageRank (essentially, how close to the top it comes up during a search) largely by the number of links to it and the text used in those links, so a Google bombing campaign would greatly improve search results. Wikipedia has an article on Google bombing here.

Here are some simple examples of what I'm suggesting:

holocaust denial
holocaust denial
holocaust denial
holocaust denial
holocaust denial

holocaust deniers
holocaust deniers
holocaust deniers
holocaust deniers
holocaust deniers

Dropping links like these now and then into web pages, blog posts, blog comments, forum posts, etc. will greatly improve search results. The next time a revisionist getting thrown in jail makes the news, or Ahmadinejad speaks out again, or Mel gets slandered in the media, etc., curious people will be doing these searches and it's important that they get some good information.

Sushicotto

Postby Sushicotto » 1 decade 3 years ago (Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:13 pm)

Does the ranking depend on how often these links appear?
I use the computer all the time but I am somewhat computer illiterate, so the following might be a stupid suggestion:
If someone like Hannover, who has over 4000 posts on this forum, adds the links to his signature, will that give the ranking a massive boost?

I agree it is good to target people who might be looking for info, such as students doing a homework assignment of holocaust denial, or Anne Frank Diaries, or other propaganda taught in schools. Most people indeed know nothing about holocaust denial.
"Those unaware are unaware of being unaware." (Merrill Jenkins)

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 3 years ago (Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:34 pm)

Hi Synthesis,

I think the way to get good google rankings is to be "above board" and do things in an honest way.

Google has teams of people programming their googlebot how to detect people trying to artificially manipulate google ratings. The googlebot can detect a repeated phrase and link, (like what you put in your post) and then even penalize our ratings for attempting to manipulate their search engine.

Us naturally talking about our interests should get good ratings naturally.

Synthesis

Postby Synthesis » 1 decade 3 years ago (Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:45 pm)

Carto's Cutlass Supreme wrote:Us naturally talking about our interests should get good ratings naturally.

No. You will never, ever get good ratings for "holocaust denial" without actually using that phrase. Try typing it into Google and looking through the first few pages of search results if you don't believe it. Then compare with typing in "holocaust revisionism" - great results. Most of the sites listed on the first page of results are pro-revisionist. But you could have a billion pages on "holocaust revisionism" and still nothing would come up under "holocaust denial".

The problem is, nobody is going to type in "holocaust revisionism" unless they are already at least somewhat sympathetic. The most commonly used term, like it or not, is "holocaust denial" and anyone getting curious about it is only going to find pages from the ADL and Nizkor, and is likely to come to the idea that there are no good arguments in favor of revisionism.

There's nothing dishonest about doing search engine optimization, especially in this case, where all you'd be doing is helping people find information on "holocaust denial" when they put those words into Google.

Synthesis

Postby Synthesis » 1 decade 3 years ago (Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:48 pm)

Sushicotto wrote:Does the ranking depend on how often these links appear?
I use the computer all the time but I am somewhat computer illiterate, so the following might be a stupid suggestion:
If someone like Hannover, who has over 4000 posts on this forum, adds the links to his signature, will that give the ranking a massive boost?

I'm not an expert on this kind of thing, but I'm pretty sure that it's important to have links from a variety of different sites. Having 4000 links from this forum probably wouldn't be much better than just having a few from this forum, but having a few links from lots of different sites would really boost the search results.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 1 decade 3 years ago (Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 pm)

Interesting point. If we use some term "holocaust revisionist" and the rest of the population doesn't even know what it means. Good point.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”