Bishop Williamson Apologizes for Holocaust Comments

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Franc

Postby Franc » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:35 pm)

Crap :shock:

Expresses Regret for Harm to Church and Victims

LONDON, FEB. 26, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Bishop Richard Williamson, formerly excommunicated member of the Society of St. Pius X, apologized today for statements in which he denied the extent of the Holocaust.

In a statement published on his return to London on Wednesday after being expelled by the government of Argentina, the prelate explained that "the Holy Father and my superior, Bishop Bernard Fellay, have requested that I reconsider the remarks I made on Swedish television four months ago, because their consequences have been so heavy."

The bishop, along with three other Lefebvrite prelates, had their 20-year excommunication lifted at the end of January, in the framework of Benedict XVI's continuing efforts to heal the schism between the society and the Church. Around the same time, the bishop appeared on public television and made reductionist statements about the Jewish Holocaust that gave rise to extensive controversy.

Bishop Williamson continued, "Observing these consequences I can truthfully say that I regret having made such remarks, and that if I had known beforehand the full harm and hurt to which they would give rise, especially to the Church, but also to survivors and relatives of victims of injustice under the Third Reich, I would not have made them."

The prelate said that on Swedish television he only gave the "opinion [...] of a non-historian," a perspective "formed 20 years ago on the basis of evidence then available, and rarely expressed in public since."

However, he recognized, "the events of recent weeks and the advice of senior members of the Society of St. Pius X have persuaded me of my responsibility for much distress caused."

He added, "To all souls that took honest scandal from what I said, before God I apologize."

Bishop Williamson concluded, "As the Holy Father has said, every act of unjust violence against one man hurts all mankind."

On Feb. 12 Benedict XVI, reiterating again the Church's view of the Holocaust, affirmed that "it is clear that every negation or minimization of this terrible crime is intolerable and at the same time unacceptable."

Thursday, February 26, 2009

DECLARATION

The Holy Father and my Superior, Bishop Bernard Fellay, have requested that I reconsider the remarks I made on Swedish television four months ago, because their consequences have been so heavy.

Observing these consequences I can truthfully say that I regret having made such remarks, and that if I had known beforehand the full harm and hurt to which they would give rise, especially to the Church, but also to survivors and relatives of victims of injustice under the Third Reich, I would not have made them.

On Swedish television I gave only the opinion (..."I believe"..."I believe"...) of a non-historian, an opinion formed 20 years ago on the basis of evidence then available and rarely expressed in public since. However, the events of recent weeks and the advice of senior members of the Society of St. Pius X have persuaded me of my responsibility for much distress caused. To all souls that took honest scandal from what I said before God I apologise.

As the Holy Father has said, every act of injust violence against one man hurts all mankind.

+Richard Williamson

London, 26 February 2009.

ClaudiaRothenbach
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby ClaudiaRothenbach » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:37 pm)

The Bishop did not mention the big lie.

"... victims of injustice under the Third Reich..."

Perhaps he meant the T4 victims.
Or deserteurs!
"Everything has already been said, but not yet by everyone." - Karl Valentin

PRHL

Postby PRHL » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm)

Again: What could you expect from someone who belongs to the sect of "Vatican 2", especially in its worst manifestation, i.e. the Lefebvre sect?

Hint: Among "sedevacantists", revisionism is generally accepted.

Thesaint
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Thesaint » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm)

At least he`s not saying:
"After some intensive study and aided by acknowledged holocau$t experts,I have come to the conclusion that the gas chambers did in fact exist,and millions of Jews and others were murdered in them"

Not that his "recantation" would be very convincing anyway.

Franc

Postby Franc » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:28 pm)

PRHL wrote:Again: What could you expect from someone who belongs to the sect of "Vatican 2", especially in its worst manifestation, i.e. the Lefebvre sect?

French sedevacantists have blamed Bishop Williamson for his scandalous revisionism on their shitty site http://www.virgo-maria.org/

Anyway, in the "Lefebvrist sect", we have two unknown bishops yet, stronger than Bishop Williamson : Bishop Tissier de Malleray and Bishop de Galaretta.

Both are ready to end up like this if needed :

Liberty

Postby Liberty » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:28 pm)

If this man, a Bishop, cannot stand for his beliefs what chance does a college newspaper editor, a parent with children in elementary school or a school child, who looks at the whole affair and senses something amiss, have?
I had hoped he would stand firm but I don't blame him for standing down.
I have never posted here before and I am thankful to those who have made it possible.
Best Regards;

Haldan
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Haldan » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:39 pm)

Liberty wrote:If this man, a Bishop, cannot stand for his beliefs what chance does a college newspaper editor, a parent with children in elementary school or a school child, who looks at the whole affair and senses something amiss, have?
I had hoped he would stand firm but I don't blame him for standing down.
I have never posted here before and I am thankful to those who have made it possible.
Best Regards;

I think it says a lot about ones character. If one can not take "a bit" of flack from the media and from the industry what caliber does that reflect upon oneself?
What a person must do is to shut down the idea of losing ones career and other, more or less, material objects and such. As we all know, a career and ones earthly possessions (material) means nothing in the long run. I think that standing firm and defending the ideas you have is the best determination of character one could ever display.

This is so typical. I expected it, to be honest.
-haldan
<?php if ($Holocaust == false ) {deny_repeatedly(); } else { investigate(); } ?>
Homage to Catalin Haldan

friedrich braun
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby friedrich braun » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:14 pm)

PRHL wrote:Again: What could you expect from someone who belongs to the sect of "Vatican 2", especially in its worst manifestation, i.e. the Lefebvre sect?

Where's your evidence? Just because in your little circle Revisionist arguments are given a hearing that doesn't mean that all sedevacantists are Revisionists. I doubt that sedevacantists have more Revisionists in their ranks than anybody else. I mean, we're talking about a little religious group and not trained historians or scientists.
"The dead came back from Jerusalem, where they did not find what they were seeking."

"The Seven Sermons to the Dead"

C.G. Jung

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 pm)

Liberty wrote:If this man, a Bishop, cannot stand for his beliefs what chance does a college newspaper editor, a parent with children in elementary school or a school child, who looks at the whole affair and senses something amiss, have?
I had hoped he would stand firm but I don't blame him for standing down.....
He did not retract any of his statement. He just expressed regret that some people may have felt hurt as a result of it.
The worst is perhaps that he said his statement was an opinion from 20 years ago.

The Zentralrat also is outraged that he didn't retract his statements. So they also understand statement as I do.

PotPie
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby PotPie » 1 decade 8 months ago (Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 pm)

Hektor wrote:He did not retract any of his statement. He just expressed regret that some people may have felt hurt as a result of it.
The worst is perhaps that he said his statement was an opinion from 20 years ago.

The Zentralrat also is outraged that he didn't retract his statements. So they also understand statement as I do.

That's exactly what he said. In other words, he's still a revisionist. He shouldn't have apologized for hurting feelings. Hurt feelings does not justify the extended life of the holocaust lie. If feelings must be hurt in the process of debunking propaganda, so be it. You can bet your bottom dollar that the Catholic Church would find it more important to dispense with anti-Catholic myths than to save feelings.

Censorship for the sake of avoiding hurting someone's feelers is pathetic.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 1 decade 8 months ago (Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:52 am)

PotPie wrote:That's exactly what he said. In other words, he's still a revisionist. He shouldn't have apologized for hurting feelings. Hurt feelings does not justify the extended life of the holocaust lie. If feelings must be hurt in the process of debunking propaganda, so be it. You can bet your bottom dollar that the Catholic Church would find it more important to dispense with anti-Catholic myths than to save feelings.
Well, I don't think that apology is going to extent the shelf life of the Holocaust Lie. Because now it gets more difficult to brand him a hater. "See, the Revisionists ain't haters", is the reaction. And it also becomes obvious that people play 'hurt feelings' in order to protect the Holocaust from being critically examined.

jheitwler

Postby jheitwler » 1 decade 8 months ago (Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:01 am)

He apologized for saying things that some people found offensive and for creating some PR problems for the Pope and the Church. He didn't apologize for making statements that he knew were inaccurate or that he has subsequently found out are inaccurate.

He hasn't backed away from the accuracy of any of his previous statements about the holocaust.

I don't think this apology is going to be enough for some folks. This ain't over yet.
"First of all there is the fact that if we assume the Holocaust to have happened more or less as told, all the evidence becomes intelligible, while if we assume it was a hoax, most of the evidence does not make any sense." - Robert Jan Van Pelt

Sushicotto

Postby Sushicotto » 1 decade 8 months ago (Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:15 am)

I assume many Jews do believe in the holocaust, so I guess their feelings may have been hurt. So has the journalist who asked him the questions and the TV station that broadcast the interview, and all the media who continue to mention this, have they apologized for hurting the feelings of the "survivors"?

All Bishop Williamson did was respond honestly to questions posed to him. This latest apology was not all that bad:

"harm and hurt to which they would give rise,especially to the Church, but also to survivors and relatives of victims of injustice under the Third Reich"

The holocaust is a lie, but many people have suffered injustices. I hope he will not forget the injustices done to the Germans and the rest of the world ever since.
"Those unaware are unaware of being unaware." (Merrill Jenkins)

MrNobody
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby MrNobody » 1 decade 8 months ago (Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 am)

Sushicotto wrote:. I hope he will not forget the injustices done to the Germans and the rest of the world ever since.

Oh he won't forget it, having been the victim of injustice himself, he's experienced first hand the full might of the Holocaust industry's all pervading power, being able to bring the Vatican to heel, expulsion from Country & the thorough public flogging he's got from the media.

I wonder if the Vatican has the US Army equivalent of an Alaskan Radar Station, a Parish 3 degrees this side of Hell they will send him to be forgotten by the Public for all time?
Wir brauchen eine Bewegung, die Deutschland endlich aus der Kontrolle der Kräfte von Versailles und Jalta befreit, die uns schon ein ganzes Jahrhundert lang von einer Kastastrophe in die andere stürzt.

Helga Zepp-LaRouche.

MrNobody
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby MrNobody » 1 decade 8 months ago (Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 am)

Lapland Leper Colony?
Wir brauchen eine Bewegung, die Deutschland endlich aus der Kontrolle der Kräfte von Versailles und Jalta befreit, die uns schon ein ganzes Jahrhundert lang von einer Kastastrophe in die andere stürzt.

Helga Zepp-LaRouche.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”