'Black Like Me' - another literary fraud? (long)

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Honest Abe

'Black Like Me' - another literary fraud? (long)

Postby Honest Abe » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:43 pm)

When I was about fourteen I read 'Black Like Me', a book pressed upon me by a teacher. The essence of the story is that a Caucasian man named John Howard Griffin temporarily converted himself to a black man through the use of some pills, a sunlamp, and a stain applied to the skin. He travelled the Deep South thinking Deep Thoughts about race and having Heavy Conversations with Genuine Negroes who were generally unaware he was really white. We are told it is an incredible story, but true! As a kid I was most interested in the science - what kind of pill turns your skin brown? :confused: - but the book was uninformative on that point. The question about the pill stuck somewhere in my brain. I forgot most of the rest of the book.

In the meantime, I read Faurisson's critique of The Diary of Anne Frank, in which Faurisson, through careful and critical reading of the text, was able to expose the "diary" as doctored and fraudulent. Little did I know Faurisson's skepticism was dissolving the fatty tissue holding this pill-question in place in my brain - I had not thought of Griffin's book for decades (I am now 41).

Finally, I watched 'Gentlemans Agreement', a 1947 film starring Gregory Peck, directed by Elia Kazan. Peck plays a man named Green, a Gentile reporter for a progressive newspaper. Assigned with writing a story on anti-Semitism, he casts about for an angle, and decides to "become" Jewish for a while. He begins telling people he is a Jew named Greenberg and suffers all sorts of troubles, oy vey. In the process he acquires insights which are accessible only to Jews (of course). He then writes his story - "I Was A Jew For Eight Weeks", to great critical acclaim (roll credits). :D

Hmmmm .... the movie was just a movie - it did not claim to be a True Story [tm]. But it sounded a lot like Griffin's story - or did Griffin's story sound like the movie? The flick was made in 1947, Griffin's stint as a psuedo-Negro came in 1959, or so he says. Coincidence? Life imitating art? If Griffin was inspired by the movie, he does not say so. Or is it art imitating art? The movie knocked loose my old memories about Griffin and his Magic Negro Pills(what was in those pills?). I began to wonder ... Anne Frank's diary was a Very True Story [tm] that actually was not so true after all. They made a movie of it, and it has been spooned into the open mouths of generations of squirming schoolchildren.

Griffin's journey is often used in classrooms to drive across the racism = antisemitism = Nazism = Holocaust syllogism that is central to New Left thinking. Griffin, in his many writings, is forever saying that he, with his special insights on The Race Problem, gained as a Jew-saver and temporary black man, has "become aware" that antisemitism and racism are the same thing.

This point is also driven across by 'Liberators:Fighting on Two Fronts in WW2', a "documentary" that ran on PBS. Those familiar with the film will recall that it told the tale of the brave young (black) lads who liberated Dachau and Buchenwald while "fighting the same enemy - racism" in Germany that they fought in the US. Problem was, the soldiers needed a race change to get *that* message across, because the first units into the camps were in fact white. That little miracle was done not with pills - what was in those pills again? - but with the filmmaker's arts, and a liberal application of deceit. You can read about it by Googling for 'Liberators fraud Weber' which will take you to the IHR web page.

Griffin's book has been translated into 13 languages, and has "sold" 10 million copies. It is used in coursework from middle school up to graduate school. A Google search on 'Black Like Me Griffin' turns up hundreds of hits, many on professor's web pages. The "cheater" websites have ready-made book reviews for scholars short of inspiration. One man, a Robert Bonazzi, has made a career out of Griffinology, and even married his widow! The book is widely cited in leftische/jewische academic circles as an examplar of enlightened progressive journalism. One gets the impression it (like Anne Frank's "diary") is cited more than it is actually read. Not to worry, it too has been made into a movie, also titled Black Like Me.

Griffin's whole life has been a sort of paragon of PC attitudes towards race and Jews. To recap his bio, he was born in Texas. At age 15, he moved alone to France to study in a lycee' there after the rector was moved by his offer to wash dishes and mop floors for an education. He graduated and began medical school, and was working in an insane asylum when France was invaded by the Germans. He became the acting director(!) at age 18 when the director was called up by the army. In that capacity, he used ambulances to smuggle Austrian Jews to the English Channel, thence to safety in England, a practice he ceased when it became too dangerous.

He travelled to the US and enlisted in the US Army Air Corps. Sent to the South Pacific, he volunteered for a dangerous mission living among the local islanders. He studied their culture and convinced them to side with the Americans. He wrote the first orthography (grammar) of their language, the Floridian tongue of the Solomon Islands.

Late in the war, he was guarding a radio antenna and listening to classical music :rolleyes: when the Japs bombed. He was knocked out by a near miss, and wound up in the hospital with some kind of wound that cost him his sight - but not until 1947! Delayed onset total blindness. Weird.

Well, he adapted to blindness well, writing books, breeding animals, getting married and learning to use a cane with such efficiency that "there were those who couldn't believe he was blind at all" (!) :eek: , according to his biography.

I could go on - he did a lot of writing, mostly on Catholic philosophy and race relations, from a distinctly liberal viewpoint (we are told, by the way, that he converted to Catholicism, but from what faith, I do not know). Anyway, in 1957, he received the gift of a miracle - complete, spontaneous restoration of his sight! One day, he could just magically see just fine! Amazing! :D

This cleared the way for his sojourn into Negro-hood in 1959. He tells us he toyed with the idea for a bit, then told his wife, and headed for New Orleans. A quick scan of the phone book for dermatologists turned up a doc who would give him pills to turn his skin black :rolleyes: , which took just a few days (Wow! What kind of pills? He does not say). He then took off on his journey.

I have not reread the book lately - it's on my list - but I recall him moving through anonymous environments among people who did not know him, and who could not be recontacted. He was hitch-hiking, riding buses, having random encounters with black strangers who would fill him in with little liberal epiphanies on The Race Problem, which he passes on to his readership.

After a few weeks of this, he decides being black is just too hard. He stops taking the pills - what was in those pills again? - and washes the stain off, and is white again. He discards the remaining pills, disappointing those of us who would like to know more about them. He returns to his life to write what is at first some magazine articles, and later the book, 'Black Like Me'.

Shortly after publication, there was a terrific controversy over the articles and book, and Griffin and his family had to go to Mexico to lay low for some time. I don't know what the controversy was all about, but it gave Griffin more Heavy Thoughts and Deep Insights to mine for more of the mawkish philosophical written matter that was his stock-in-trade throughout his life.

So, to get to the point - I strongly suspect that at least part of Griffin's story is phony. His entire life story gives off tinny sounds and funky smells. I have skimmed his biography - Bonazzi wrote it - and am rereading Black Like Me. But I smell a rat. I don't think this man was ever black, and I am not too damn certain he was ever blind! There are too many miracles, too many gaps, too many unexplained coincidences, and too many places where sentiment is used where facts would be more helpful.

I have not dug into this in a big way, but I am interested in knowing what other readers of the book think, not of it's moral messages, but of it's credibility.

So what was in those pills? I think it was bull****.

What do you think?

Nomen Nescio

TruthSeeker
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby TruthSeeker » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:00 pm)

Perhaps he should share his secrets with Michael Jackson & co.? That might be helpful for research conducted for the reverse effects (black to white)..... :lol:

I haven't read the book, and frankly, I don't intend to until I'm through my list of 10 books or so on jews and the "holocaust" fabrications, but I will read it when I have the time. It sounds very interesting... Good points raised there, Honest Abe.

Vitiligo. This total loss of skin pigment, which some say accounts for changes in Michael Jackson's skin color, affects 1 percent of the population. People may be at higher risk for this skin bleaching if they have thyroid disorders, pernicious anemia, decreased adrenal gland function or a condition called alopecia areata that causes hair loss. Possible causes include abnormal nerve cells that hinder the body's production of pigment or an autoimmune or autotoxic reaction in which the pigment cells are attacked.
Today's Treatments. There are two ways to go: When a high percentage of pigment has been lost, an oral medication can rid the body of the remaining pigmentation to achieve a uniform lighter look. For those with less pigment loss, a type of so-called ultraviolet therapy sometimes restores a significant amount of pigment to the white patches.
http://health.discovery.com/centers/hea ... spots.html

That said, the book was written when, in the 1970s? Even then, I don't think medicine was so developed as to have ready-to-swallow pills that change your colour of skin.

Honest Abe

Postby Honest Abe » 1 decade 5 years ago (Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:42 pm)

TruthSeeker wrote:Perhaps he should share his secrets with Michael Jackson & co.? That might be helpful for research conducted for the reverse effects (black to white)..... :lol:

Vitiligo. This total loss of skin pigment, which some say accounts for changes in Michael Jackson's skin color, affects 1 percent of the population. People may be at higher risk for this skin bleaching if they have thyroid disorders, pernicious anemia, decreased adrenal gland function or a condition called alopecia areata that causes hair loss. Possible causes include abnormal nerve cells that hinder the body's production of pigment or an autoimmune or autotoxic reaction in which the pigment cells are attacked.
Today's Treatments. There are two ways to go: When a high percentage of pigment has been lost, an oral medication can rid the body of the remaining pigmentation to achieve a uniform lighter look. For those with less pigment loss, a type of so-called ultraviolet therapy sometimes restores a significant amount of pigment to the white patches.
http://health.discovery.com/centers/hea ... spots.html

That said, the book was written when, in the 1970s? Even then, I don't think medicine was so developed as to have ready-to-swallow pills that change your colour of skin.

Well, his biographer says he used Oxsoralen, a drug given to sufferers of vitiligo and of psoriasis. It is not hopelessly implausible that he did use the drug, but he does not mention it in the book. Nor does he mention the name of his doctor. Oxsoralen is a dangerous drug, not to be messed with, and is not in general used to turn one's whole self black - vitiligo is a white blotching of the skin in negroes and is common in East Indians. So it is not out of the question that he *did* use oxsoralen, but I am still very skeptical.

The book, by the way, was written in 1960, starting as a series of magazine articles. I have not gotten a first edition copy or a copy of the magazine ("Sepia", a general interest publication for a mostly black readership), I wonder what he says about the drug treatment there - in the recent version he describes symptoms that match Oxsoralen up to a point, but not very exactly. Also, I would like to know how long Oxsoralen has been around ... was it even on the market when he took the trip, in late 1959?

H.A.

Postby Moderator » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:02 am)

Let's keep comments focused on elements of the initial post which relate to the so called 'holocaust'. That was my hope when the thread was posted.

Thanks, Moderator
Only lies need to be shielded from debate, truth welcomes it.

TruthSeeker
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby TruthSeeker » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:13 am)

Moderator, my apologies for moving off-topic on that one. I was only trying to argue that Griffin's claims about the pill incorrect, which tie into what Honest Abe said:

Hmmmm .... the movie was just a movie - it did not claim to be a True Story [tm]. But it sounded a lot like Griffin's story - or did Griffin's story sound like the movie? The flick was made in 1947, Griffin's stint as a psuedo-Negro came in 1959, or so he says. Coincidence? Life imitating art? If Griffin was inspired by the movie, he does not say so. Or is it art imitating art? The movie knocked loose my old memories about Griffin and his Magic Negro Pills(what was in those pills?). I began to wonder ... Anne Frank's diary was a Very True Story [tm] that actually was not so true after all. They made a movie of it, and it has been spooned into the open mouths of generations of squirming schoolchildren.

I absolutely agree with the above statements. There is a strong correlation between various post-WWII "truths." Most of it (if not all) is communist/leftist propaganda (notice how Griffin's book and Anne Frank's diary have been adopted into curricula, it seems almost like a communist state of feeding children with propaganda that makes them blind to facts and feeds them with distortions of history). The post-WWII hysteria around <sob sob> the poor oppressed slaves, the victimised jews, the targetted homosexuals has conveniently forgotten about white people, and instead placed them into stereotypes of evil, Nazist, and racist, stereotypes that exist to this day. And this is not surprising. After all, isn't political correctness an essentially communist thing? And isn't censorship too? And weren't the jews behind communism? How this relates to the topic at hand and holocaust, of course, is - through political correctness and constant bombardment of such politically correct representations of "facts" in the media (TV, movies, documentaries using footage and pictures taken out of context, etc.), "holocaust" revisionism has become labelled as a heresy.

And I am positive that just like Anne Franke's diary aims to, and just like all the "holocaust" fabrications aim to, Griffin's book also aims to continue this great tradition of politically correct "don't question, just parrot what you learned in school" behaviour. After all, isn't that what our kids learn at school these days? And aren't they required, one day or another, to do some sort of project or presentation on the "holocaust"?

Honest Abe

Postby Honest Abe » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:05 am)

Moderator wrote:Let's keep comments focused on elements of the initial post which relate to the so called 'holocaust'. That was my hope when the thread was posted.

Thanks, Moderator

The connection to the holocaust is a bit tenuous, but for the record, here it is:

- Griffin claims to have rescued Austrian Jews early in WW2;

- His story is used to drive home the racism = antisemitism = Nazism = Holocaust syllogism, and his temporary Negritude is essential to establishing his credibility in that area;

- Similar race-changing techniques are used in dramatic cinema to drive home the same syllogism;

- A strikingly similar Holocaust-linked forgery ("Liberators") exists, with the same ideological overtones;

- The (possible) phoniness of Griffin's work became evident to me only after reading Faurisson's critique of The Diary of Anne Frank, so I am applying a similar method in my readings of the Griffin / Bonazzi writings.

I have started another thread on the same topic on Stormfront, and I leave it to our able Moderator to decide when this thread goes off-topic.
H.A.

Postby Moderator » 1 decade 5 years ago (Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:21 am)

HA,
Yes, I get it already, it was obvious from the first post. But we must remember that we have readers who surf in, lurk about, etc. We must keep things clear for them. Going off on tangents such as chemicals for changing skin color does not make for easy understanding.

Remember, it is the curious we seek.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Only lies need to be shielded from debate, truth welcomes it.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”