Testimonies on flames from Auschwitz crematorium chimneys

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: Testimonies on flames from Auschwitz crematorium chimney

Postby Hektor » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:20 pm)

This one got it:
Holocaust survivors at ceremonies

Sir Jonathan blamed prime time TV and best-selling books
Holocaust survivors and relatives of those killed have been speaking at memorial events in the West Midlands.
Gabor Hirsch, 78, a survivor from the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp, spoke at Wolverhampton University as part of Holocaust Memorial Day.

Before his talk, he said it was "important to remember" so young people would "try to avoid that something like that should happen again."

A multi-faith service at the Cenotaph in Wolverhampton has also been held.

Mr Hirsch weighed just over four stone (25.4 kg) when he was freed from the concentration camp, at the age of 15.

'Saw chimneys'

He said: "Our block or barracks was maybe about 300 metres away from the crematorium.

"We saw the chimneys, we saw the flames and we were told 'these are bakeries'".

At Wolverhampton's Cenotaph, the city's mayor, Councillor Trudy Bowen, as well as representatives of different faith communities, laid wreaths in memory of victims of the Holocaust.

This year, the national ceremony to mark Holocaust Memorial Day was being held in Liverpool.

Survivors and religious leaders were among those at the Philharmonic Hall, in the European Capital of Culture.

It was to mark the 1945 liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp and victims of other atrocities were also being remembered.

More than 2,000 schools across the UK were also expected to hold events to mark the day.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 211986.stm

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:04 pm)

The train disappeared momentarily behind the trees that lined the curve of the road behind Birkenau and then reappeared on the other side. Several troops of prisoners headed off toward the first crematorium, came to a halt, and waited there like hungry people in front of a grocery store or the way people stand in line for theater tickets, waiting for the doors to open. The remaining groups continued down the road that ran along the Gypsy camp to Brescinke: they marched between lush green meadows and fields of yellow rapeseed, their stumbling children at their side, and all those baby carriages raising only a slight puff of dust compared to the clouds thrown up by the SS automobiles speeding by. An endless procession of people. We watched these marches day after day. The people were different, but the image remained the same: so many pilgrims on their way. We lost sight of them near the Brescinke Forest, and less than an hour later the flames rose high behind these woods. Two pillars of fire soared to the heavens. And the yard in front of the crematorium, where these people had been standing, where they had been waiting to enter their gas chambers, was deserted except for the flaming glow that never failed to appear punctually one hour after their entry. It shimmered through the otherwise so harmless-looking side windows, so unsuspicious in their blankness, and licked its way up the towering chimneys. Five huge flames burned day and night, and when they were extinguished, more victims arrived to fuel them anew — a reddish-yellow conflagration of wood and humanity. The sky was red from the glow and the stars paled behind it.

German Jew Dr. Lucie Adelberger on Auschwitz II (Birkenau)

Adelsberger, Lucie. trans. Ray, Susan. contrb. Slavin, Arthur Joseph. Auschwitz: A Doctor's Story. Lebanon, NH: Northeastern University Press. 1995 (originally published in German in 1956). p.83.
Nazis tried to create super-soldiers, using steroids ... they sought to reanimate the dead—coffins of famous Germanic warriors were found hidden in a mine, with plans to bring them back to life at the war’s end.
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 pm)

Outside the regular calls twice daily, there were so- called general ones. It seems to me that they were specially ordered by higher authorities when on their camp visits. My first general call took place in February, 1943, and it was sprung on us at the very moment when our block was about to start a delousing session. We had already sent our clothes to the gas chamber and were naked in the steam baths when the order came, "Everybody out!" Try to imagine the haste, the confusion and the violence which accompanied it. While they prodded us with sticks, they threw us our clothes in large, mixed-up heaps. We ended up with many pieces not our own, and they chased us, undressed and half dressed, out of the block into the cold. They made all inmates of the camp come out past the barbed wire save those in one section. Then they counted and recounted us and kept rechecking. A weeding out had taken place in the restricted section. They loaded women into trucks before Block 25. Trucks came and went. Flames leapt from the chimneys of the crematory ovens. The coming and going of the trucks continued.

Polish gentile and communist Pelagia Lewińska

Lewińska, Pelagia. Twenty Months at Auschwitz. London: L. Stuart. 1968 (originally published in Polish in 1945). p.63.
Nazis tried to create super-soldiers, using steroids ... they sought to reanimate the dead—coffins of famous Germanic warriors were found hidden in a mine, with plans to bring them back to life at the war’s end.
- Prof. Noah Charney

Breker
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Breker » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:53 pm)

Lewińska, Pelagia. Twenty Months at Auschwitz. London: L. Stuart. 1968 (originally published in Polish in 1945). p.63.

Gentile? We really do not think that is the case, given that name.
B.
Revisionists are just the messengers, the impossibility of the "Holocaust" narrative is the message.

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 pm)

friedrichjansson wrote:6. Langbein, People in Auschwitz, p. 349 - testimony of Kaduk, Broad and Bartelmes

Broad's "original" just for the sake of it:
The truck drove away and came back, over and over again. Each time it was jammed full of people. Mildner's big blue car was already waiting in front of the crematory. The Old Crematory of Auschwitz was about 300 feet from the compound. Originally it was said to have been a storage shed for beets. The brick building was then enclosed by earth fill on three sides, in which grass, small trees, and lovely flowers were planted. The roof was made of a special concrete. A high wall with a huge gate enclosed a space in front of the actual entrance, and each evening the piled-up carts coming from the mortuary of Block 28 brought the corpses and unloaded them out of view of unwelcome onlookers. When the ovens, in which four to six bodies could be cremated simultaneously, were newly lit and the thick black smoke poured out of the chimney—or at night, when a high flame visible for miles round shot out through the chimney— then the significance of this hill must have become clear to all.

The Broad Report, "1945"

As quoted in: Naumann, Bernd. Auschwitz: A Report on the Proceedings Against Robert Karl Ludwig Mulka and Others Before the Court at Frankfurt. New York: Praeger. 1966. p.171.
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:33 pm)

Breker wrote:

Gentile? We really do not think that is the case, given that name.
B.

Below is what I based my assertion on. But having doubled-checked, it states (quite clearly) Pelagia Lewińska died in Auschwitz!
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=b1qv ... sh&f=false

For the Jew to respond to the Holocaust is to persist in his Jewishness. But it is striking that in Fackenheim's main response to the Holocaust, which we find in his book To Mend the World, the central response to Nazi misdeeds come from a woman named Pelagia Lewinska, whom Fackenheim does not seem to regard as Jewish. In a taped TV interview he says that he does not know whether she was Jewish, whereas in To Mend the World, he says she is not Jewish.
http://www.plantinga.ca/m/MCM.HTM

I don't know (nor care) who Fackenheim is, but his quoting of Pelagia Lewińska has clearly caused a stir, as there's a lot of books which discuss it.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22at ... 52&bih=628

This one calls Pelagia Lewińska a Catholic.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NBR- ... 22&f=false

Essentially, I don't know what she was.
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 pm)

- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 pm)

These were drawn by Ella Liebermann-Shiber, a German Jew sent to Auschwitz in August 1943, and published in 1997 (I think) in On the Edge of the Abyss
http://www.scribd.com/doc/103866128/On- ... -the-Abyss
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:51 pm)

We were commanded to get off the trains. My aunt told me to take the box with cakes. I took the box with cakes under my arm, and when we got down to the platform (it was late at night) we saw these chimneys aflame with fire. It was a terrifying sight. It was eerie, because we saw the smoke and the flames and it was like a horror picture. There were the sharp commands, 'Raus, raus, raus!' as they pushed us out of the wagon.

Sherry Weiss-Rosenfeld, sent to Auschwitz in May 1944 aged 15.

As quoted in: Dwork, Debórah. Children With a Star: Jewish Youth in Nazi Europe. Yale University Press. 1991. p.220.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k2hT ... 22&f=false
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:01 pm)

But in Auschwitz you became a number, you didn't know anybody. The only person I knew was my brother, we stuck together.

What struck me about the camp was the smell. By then we knew it was an extermination camp: we saw chimneys and the fire was very high. 'You go through the chimney'—that was the standard saying. I never heard about the gas chambers, so I didn't know how people were killed. But we saw the chimneys and we associated the flames with the transports coming in ...

Jan Hartman, Czech Jewish youth, Auschwitz-Birkenau

As quoted in: Smith, Lyn. Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A New History in the Words of the Men and Women Who Survived. London: Random House. 2010. p.162.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vyYi ... 22&f=false
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:11 pm)

This one claims ENORMOUS flames actually damaged the chimneys.

In the first weeks, during the spring of 1943, we had to remain shut up inside the blocks and when the wind was blowing from the direction of the crematoria the stench was unbearable. Six- or seven-metre high flames rose from the chimneys. The chimneys burst. Later they were reinforced with iron rings.

German Sinto Walter Stanoski Winter

Winter, Walter Stanoski. Robertson, Struan. Winter Time: Memoirs Of A German Sinto Who Survived Auschwitz. Univ of Hertfordshire Press. 2004. p.77.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZNZg ... 22&f=false
- Prof. Noah Charney

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 6 years 9 months ago (Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 pm)

When the chimneys belched smoke day and night, and the workers in the crematoria could not catch up with the amount of corpses to be burned. The gassing went quicker than the cremation. There was not merely smoke, there were flames blazing into the sky because they never stopped burning.

Dagmar Ostermann, Geltungsjude, Auschwitzer

As quoted in: Frankfurter, Bernhard. Cernyak-Spatz, Susan E. The Meeting: An Auschwitz Survivor Confronts an SS Physician. Syracuse University Press. 2000. p.63.
- Prof. Noah Charney

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 6 years 9 months ago (Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:31 am)

The flames seem to have been a common rumor:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=vF ... ames&hl=en

But they tell it as a fact:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KS ... ames&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=tz ... ames&hl=en

Sometimes it's not clear whether the flames are attributed to the chimneys directly:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=zu ... ames&hl=en

His sketches show all the horrors of that camp: naked women being sorted into those who would live and those who would die; prisoners loading corpses from the gas chambers into trucks; the desperate search for food; the lurid red glow of flames from the crematorium chimneys at night; brutal guards; and the haughty and infamous chief physician, Josef Mengele, in Nazi uniform. (An attached note said that ''a motion with his stick'' was sufficient to send a prisoner to his death.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/26/nyreg ... camps.html

For more than a month, she studied photographs of the death houses and a rendering of the main camp at Auschwitz in Poland, drawn by a prison inmate in 1944. Ms. Feigenbaum, who is Jewish, drew gradually closer to her subject: the hovering chimney of what appeared to be an innocuous warehouse, but what masked the gas chamber.

''I tried to isolate what the Holocaust was in the chimney and in the building where 1,000 people could be slaughtered every 15 minutes,'' she said. ''The monument will start at basement level with the chimney rising from the flames and being consumed by flames ultimately.''

The image of the chimney, a six-sided column, will extend to a level between the second and third stories of the courthouse annex, and will bear markings to portray flames. Streaks of gray in the marble will create the illusion of smoke, Ms. Feigenbaum said.

Near the base of the pedestal will be a tilted rectangular image of the Auschwitz building. Ms. Feigenbaum said the vertical design of the chimney will complement the columns of the landmark courthouse, where a sculpture of Moses stands.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/27/nyreg ... roved.html
Last edited by Hektor on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 6 years 9 months ago (Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:35 am)

delete double....
Last edited by Hektor on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 6 years 9 months ago (Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:36 am)

delete double....
Last edited by Hektor on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”