Sonderkommando

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Sailor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Sonderkommando

Postby Sailor » 1 decade 6 years ago (Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:21 pm)

I have a problem with this word “Sonderkommando”. There is no such a word in the German language, I cannot find it in my Herders Volks Lexikon, nor in the Duden Vol 10 Das Bedeutungswörterbuch nor in the Duden Vol.1 Die Rechtschreibung.

Who came up with that term?

The hoaxers tell me that the word “Sonderkommando” is for a commando unit who gets into the action after the alleged homicidal gassing, in order to clear the area of the dead gassed bodies. The word comes up in the usual horror texts as dictated by the Allies. It is found in the War Refugee Report and with Rudolf Höß, who under torture made all kinds of unrealistic statements.

I am not convinced of any alleged homicidal gassings, I am very skeptical that they ever existed. And therefore I don’t believe in the existence of “Sonderkommandos” either. It is complete bullshit.

dalegribble

Postby dalegribble » 1 decade 6 years ago (Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:04 pm)

i read once that inmates testified to watching 'sondercommandos' pulling bodies from the gas chambers whilst laughing and smoking,i would have thought that smoking would be risky due to explosive fumes [but then im not an expert and may well be wrong]

Hebden
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: Sonderkommando

Postby Hebden » 1 decade 6 years ago (Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:48 pm)

Sailor wrote:I have a problem with this word “Sonderkommando”. There is no such a word in the German language, I cannot find it in my Herders Volks Lexikon, nor in the Duden Vol 10 Das Bedeutungswörterbuch nor in the Duden Vol.1 Die Rechtschreibung.

Are Einsatzkommando or Einsatzgruppen listed? We understood the German language was typified by such composite nouns.

We should make mention of the infamous Sonderkommando 1005. These were units supposedly set up to carry out Aktion 1005, a plan to eradicate the evidence of Nazi mass murders. They reportedly existed in many areas of the occupied Eastern territories:

Early Activities

In June 1942 SS - Standartenfuhrer Paul Blobel was appointed head of Aktion 1005, and attempts began to burn corpses in the Chelmno extermination camp. Between the summer of 1942 and that of 1943, Blobel also supervised the burning of bodies in Belzec, Treblinka, Sobibor and Auschwitz. Early in June 1943, liquidation of mass graves in the occupied Soviet Union and Poland began, apparently at the Janowska camp in Lvov.

Activities in the Soviet Union

After the German defeat at Stalingrad and the retreat from the Ukraine in the first half of 1943, Blobel organized two units, Sonderkommando 1005-A and 1005-B, in Kiev. Sonderkommando 1005-A burned bodies at Babi Yar, Berdichev, Belaya Tserkov, Uman, and Kamenets-Podolski, Zamosc. In August 1944 it was sent to Lodz, where it accompanied the last Jews from the ghetto to Auschwitz. Sonderkommando 1005-B worked in Dnepropetrovsk, Krivoi Rog, Nikolayev, and later in, Riga and Dvinsk. In Belorussia, Aktion 1005 was carried out by two units, Sonderkommandos 7a and 7b, and Einsatzkommandos 8 and 9, of the Einsatzgruppen. On August 16, 1944, this unit was also sent to Lodz. In the Baltic countries, Aktion 1005 units are known to have been active not only in Riga and Dvinsk, but also in Ponary, The Ninth Fort, and the Klaipda (Memel) area (where the corpses of Soviet prisoners of war were burned). Attempts were made to burn bodies in Klooga and its subcamps. In the Bialystok district, Aktion 1005 established a unit that functioned from mid-May until mid-June 1944

Activities in the Generalgouvernement

When the Soviet army approached in mid-1944, the principal 1005 activity began in the Generalgouvernement. A meeting was convened by Wilhelm Kube, the Hoherer SS und Polizeifuhrer (Higher SS and Police Leader) in Krakow, with the participation of all the SD and Sipo commanders and the police of the districts. Each commander undertook to establish a Sonderkommando 1005 in his area. A similar instruction came from Berlin to the SS and police leaders in the areas of Poland annexed to the Reich.

Activities in Yugoslavia

Aktion 1005 operations were also carried out in Yugoslavia near the Sajmiste camp. In October 1944, the members of the 1005 units were formed into Einstazgruppe "Iltis, " under Blobel and charged with fighting Yugoslav partisans.

(http://motlc.wiesenthal.com/text/x01/xr0131.html)

It would be interesting to know what the documentary evidence is for the existence of these units.

We note the existence of Sonderkommando 1005 in Soviet propaganda, such as the Extraordinary State Commission report on Lvov, already by December 1944:

On the instructions of Reichminister of Germany Himmler and Maj.-Gen. Of S.S. Police Katzmann, in June 1943 special measures were taken to exhume and burn the bodies of civilians, Soviet war prisoners and nationals of foreign States who had been tortured to death or shot. In Lvov the Germans formed a special Sonderkommando, No. 1005, consisting of 126 men. Chief of this squad was Haupsturmbannfuehrer Scherlak; his assistant was Haupsturmbannfuehrer Rauch.

The duties of the Sonderkommando included exhuming and burning the bodies of civilians and war prisoners murdered by the Germans. S.D. Scharfuehrer Rauch and S.D. Oberwachtmeister Kepick were in charge. The bodies extracted from the pits were laid on special platforms in stacks containing 1,200 to 1,600 bodies each. Tar and petrol were poured on the bodies, which were then burned. The ashes and remnants of bones were sifted in order to collect gold articles – gold fillings, teeth, rings, watches.

[...]

On the territory of the Lvov region, therefore, the Hitlerite murderers pursued the same method of concealing their crimes which they used earlier when they killed Polish officers in the wood near Katyn. The Commission of Experts has established that the method of camouflaging the graves in the Lisincki area was completely identical with the methods used in camouflaging the graves of the Polish officers killed by the Germans in Katyn.

To spread their experience in methods of exterminating people, burning bodies and covering up crimes, the Germans created in the Yanovska Camp, Lvov, a special school for training "skilled cadres". To this school came camp commandants from Lublin, Warsaw, Cracow and other towns. Right on the spot the Chief of Sonderkommando No. 1005, Scherlak, taught commandants how to exhume bodies from the earth, how to stack them up, burn them, sift the ashes, crush the bones, fill the pits and camouflage them by planting trees and shrubbery.

(http://thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=46403)

Daniel Saez Lorente

Postby Daniel Saez Lorente » 1 decade 1 year ago (Tue May 06, 2008 3:36 am)

Sailor wrote:I have a problem with this word “Sonderkommando”. There is no such a word in the German language, I cannot find it in my Herders Volks Lexikon, nor in the Duden Vol 10 Das Bedeutungswörterbuch nor in the Duden Vol.1 Die Rechtschreibung.

Who came up with that term?

The hoaxers tell me that the word “Sonderkommando” is for a commando unit who gets into the action after the alleged homicidal gassing, in order to clear the area of the dead gassed bodies. The word comes up in the usual horror texts as dictated by the Allies. It is found in the War Refugee Report and with Rudolf Höß, who under torture made all kinds of unrealistic statements.

I am not convinced of any alleged homicidal gassings, I am very skeptical that they ever existed. And therefore I don’t believe in the existence of “Sonderkommandos” either. It is complete bullshit.

I see no reason why "Sonderkommando" could not be translated as "special squad", which could have any meaning whatsoever.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”