sleep depriviation leads to false memories

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
ivam

sleep depriviation leads to false memories

Postby ivam » 5 years 8 months ago (Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:20 am)

Heya guys, just seen this article this morning.

Yawning much? Is it time for another coffee break? Not sleeping enough doesn’t just hurt your focus and productivity, turns out, it could hurt your memory too. Sleep-deprived people may think they’ve witnessed something that never happened, according to a study published in Psychological Science.

In case you missed this video from a few days ago, seven to eight hours a night is about right for most people. There’s overwhelming evidence that the lack of sleep impairs cognitive function, though few have investigated the role of sleep deprivation in the formation of false memories. “I was surprised to find that there were so few empirical studies connecting sleep deprivation with memory distortion in an eyewitness context,” Steven Frenda from University of California, Irvine, says in a news release. “The studies that do exist look mostly at sleep deprived people’s ability to accurately remember lists of words -- not real people, places and events.”

To gauge the effect of insufficient sleep on memory, Frenda and colleagues kept college students awake for 24 hours to see how likely they’d mix up event details. They assigned 104 volunteers into one of four groups late one evening. Two groups were shown a series of photos depicting a crime being committed: a man stealing a wallet. One of those groups got to go to bed right away, while the other group stayed awake all night in the lab. The remaining two groups did it in reverse: One slept as the other stayed awake, and they all viewed the crime photos in the morning.

In the next part of the experiment, the participants read narratives containing statements that contradicted what the photographs showed. A description might, for example, say that the thief put the stolen wallet in his pants pocket -- but the photos showed him putting it in his jacket.

Students who had been sleep deprived for the entire experiment -- viewing the photos and reading accounts of the crime -- were more likely to report the false details from the narrative as having happened in the crime photos. Those who viewed the photos before staying up all night, however, were no more susceptible to false memories than the students who had been allowed to sleep.

“We found memory distortion is greater after sleep deprivation,” says study coauthor Kimberly Fenn from Michigan State in a university release. “And people are getting less sleep each night than they ever have.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, insufficient sleep is a public health epidemic, linked to vehicle crashes, industrial accidents, medical errors, and chronic diseases like high blood pressure and diabetes. Sleep deprivation, these findings indicate, could make you remember fake details as actually having happened -- distorting your memories and making you a bad eyewitness.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/brain/all-nig ... 8AKp0Fz.99

Kingfisher
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: sleep depriviation leads to false memories

Postby Kingfisher » 5 years 8 months ago (Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:58 am)

Sleep deprivation would be very real in camp conditions, with crowded huts, snorers, cold, basic clothing and bedding, fear of kapos and other inmates, insecurity and worry. Personally I can have difficulty sleeping if it's a bit to cold or too hot, or if I can hear the traffic and I have thought that I might not have lasted long in those wartime prison conditions.

On false memory, though unrelated to sleep deprivation, in cases relating to childhood sexual abuse it was found that false memories were implanted as a result of persistent questioning by social workers and police. The "victims" remembered what they thought (correctly) their questioners wanted them to remember. I can't give specific references on this but it's had plenty of publicity so would be easy enough to google.

There was a "Satanic abuse" scandal around this in the 1990s in the UK with kids removed from their parents on inadequate evidence. The lessons seem to have been badly learned though, as in the current moral panic surrounding celebrities and the BBC the fuzz have gone on fishing expeditions, encouraging "victims" to "come forward" and evidence is being admitted based on a victim's memory of something that happened over 40 years ago when she was 8 years old.

Inquisitor
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Inquisitor » 5 years 8 months ago (Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:30 am)

Kingfisher wrote:Sleep deprivation would be very real in camp conditions, with crowded huts, snorers, cold, basic clothing and bedding, fear of kapos and other inmates, insecurity and worry. Personally I can have difficulty sleeping if it's a bit to cold or too hot, or if I can hear the traffic and I have thought that I might not have lasted long in those wartime prison conditions.

On false memory, though unrelated to sleep deprivation, in cases relating to childhood sexual abuse it was found that false memories were implanted as a result of persistent questioning by social workers and police. The "victims" remembered what they thought (correctly) their questioners wanted them to remember. I can't give specific references on this but it's had plenty of publicity so would be easy enough to google.

There was a "Satanic abuse" scandal around this in the 1990s in the UK with kids removed from their parents on inadequate evidence. The lessons seem to have been badly learned though, as in the current moral panic surrounding celebrities and the BBC the fuzz have gone on fishing expeditions, encouraging "victims" to "come forward" and evidence is being admitted based on a victim's memory of something that happened over 40 years ago when she was 8 years old.

This "satanic" nonsense went on in the US as well. Naturally, it all proved to be bunk:

http://skepdic.com/satanrit.html

Of course, that hasn't kept certain individuals and assorted internet cranks, etc, from the continued perpetuation of this "satanic" abuse mythology. Seems there are quite a few baseless myths of imagined "horrors" that just won't die!
Last edited by Inquisitor on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 5 years 8 months ago (Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:33 am)

Kingfisher wrote:....On false memory, though unrelated to sleep deprivation, in cases relating to childhood sexual abuse it was found that false memories were implanted as a result of persistent questioning by social workers and police. The "victims" remembered what they thought (correctly) their questioners wanted them to remember. I can't give specific references on this but it's had plenty of publicity so would be easy enough to google.

I don't think the opportunity here would be limited to former camp inmates, although that would be plausible, too. Think of the "Nazis" being cross interrogated. For one during the immediate post war period, were condition and practices were most certainly more rough. But even circumstantial witnesses have been interrogated for long periods.
I recall this even coming up at the Frankfurt Auschwitz trial with a woman that had been a dentist in Auschwitz (the town). For example:
Staatsanwalt Kügler:
Moment, bitte. Moment, bitte. »Wenn die Häftlinge einige Zeit bei diesem ›Sonderkommando‹ tätig gewesen seien, fielen sie selbst der Vergasung anheim. Für die Tätigkeit bei dem ›Sonderkommando‹, das die Häftlinge in den Vergasungsraum brachte und auch die Vergasung durchzuführen hatte, sei eine Zeit von vier oder sechs Wochen vorgesehen. Danach findet dann die Vergasung der ›Sonderkommando‹-Angehörigen statt. Er hat sich nicht darüber geäußert, in welcher Weise er persönlich mit den Vernichtungsaktionen zu tun hatte.« 6 Damals, Frau Zeugin, das möchte ich Ihnen eindringlich vorhalten, haben Sie dem Untersuchungsrichter gegenüber erklärt, Herr Mulka habe Ihnen das erklärt.
Zeugin Elise Heinisch-Utner:
Herr Doktor, darf ich Ihnen dagegenhalten, daß ich das nicht gesagt habe. Die Vernehmung hat damals meines Erinnerns nach circa acht oder neun Stunden gedauert. Ich bin früh von Wiesbaden gekommen, knapp gefrühstückt, und man hatte mir nicht einmal die Möglichkeit gegeben, zu einer angemessenen Zeit eine Mahlzeit einzunehmen. Hingegen der Herr Doktor Düx hat mir gegenüber seine Brote mit großem Appetit verzehrt, hatte mir erklärt, auch er hätte nicht gegessen, was aber nicht stimmte. Und als er meine Aussage in das Protokoll diktierte, bin ich ihm ein paarmal ins Wort gefallen, weil er den Sinn meiner Aussage durch seine Formulierung veränderte. [...]
Staatsanwalt Kügler:
Können Sie ein Beispiel nennen?
Durch die Wortstellung hatte man gewissermaßen eine Anklage machen wollen aus dem, was ich nicht gesagt hatte und auch nicht einmal gedacht hatte. Ich weiß es sicher, daß ich zwei- oder dreimal Herrn Doktor Düx gebeten hatte, die Formulierung anders zu machen, da der Sinn so entstellt wird.
Ja, aber ich glaube doch, daß man in acht oder fast neun Stunden, die die Vernehmung dauerte, der Sache nicht mehr ganz folgen konnte. Denn ich war wirklich fertig. Ich war am Nullpunkt. Ich kam mir selbst als Angeklagte vor.

https://archive.org/details/EliseHeinis ... itzProzess

More then 8 hours interrogation on an empty stomach. And the interrogator is putting words into her mouth. She recanted later on various points, but she was just a circumstantial witness and someone with education and social standing. One can only imagine how they'd have dealt with SS-men during interrogation, certainly not milder. It should be noted that Mulka disputed any knowledge on homicidal gassings.
https://archive.org/details/FranzRuprec ... ozessMulka

Mulka was one of the highest ranking SS-men accused. Joachim Caesar who was actually the highest ranking SS-man in Auschwitz at that time, disputed any knowledge of homicidal gassings as well. He was not accused in Frankfurt.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”