William L. Shirer, Anthony Eden, Franklin Roosevelt & US citizens: Their wartime disbelief

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
hermod
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

William L. Shirer, Anthony Eden, Franklin Roosevelt & US citizens: Their wartime disbelief

Postby hermod » 3 years 1 month ago (Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:43 pm)

William Shirer: US expert on Nazi Germany

William Lawrence Shirer (February 23, 1904 – December 28, 1993) was an American journalist and war correspondent. He wrote The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, a history of Nazi Germany that has been read by many and cited in scholarly works for more than 50 years. Originally a foreign correspondent for the Chicago Tribune and the International News Service, Shirer was the first reporter hired by Edward R. Murrow for what would become a CBS radio team of journalists known as "Murrow's Boys." He became known for his broadcasts from Berlin, from the rise of the Nazi dictatorship through the first year of World War II (1940). With Murrow, he organized the first broadcast world news roundup, a format still followed by news broadcasts.

Shirer wrote more than a dozen books beside The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, including Berlin Diary (published in 1941); The Collapse of the Third Republic (1969), which drew on his experience living and working in France from 1925 to 1933; and a three-volume autobiography, Twentieth Century Journey (1976 to 1990). His brother was an analyst for the Securities and Exchange Commission and his niece, Jean Ingold, was an employee of the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_L._Shirer

William Shirer in 1943: OK. We were lying during WW1. But this time we're telling the truth. Why don't US citizens believe us?

https://postimg.org/image/684d2kg0r/

William Shirer in 1990: "I couldn't believe it. I certainly missed the story myself. I did not get the story until Nuremburg."

June 17, 1990

BILL MOYERS: [voice-over] For most of his adult life, William L. Shirer has been an eyewitness to history. Fresh out of college, he arrived in Paris in 1925 to become a newspaper reporter. During the ’20s and ’30s, he covered stories throughout Europe and spent two years in India, reporting on Mahatma Gandhi. In 1937, Shirer was hired by Edward R. Murrow to open the European bureau of CBS News. As a pioneer in broadcast journalism, he was in Rome for the death of a pope, in Berlin for the rise of Hitler, on the front lines for the fall of France. When Nazi censorship made honest reporting impossible, Shirer returned to the United States, broadcasting a weekly news analysis on CBS and publishing his first best-seller, Berlin Diary. His career in broadcasting ended in 1947, when CBS canceled his program. But Shirer created a new career as an author, drawing on his years in Nazi Germany. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich became one of the biggest sellers in publishing history.

[...]

BILL MOYERS: But here, to me, is the key question. Do you think they thought that what they were doing was evil, or does the totalitarian mind obliterate the distinction between good and evil, right and wrong?

WILLIAM L. SHIRER: Obliterates it, certainly. There’s nothing at all in the documents which I read which include Hitler’s long talks to his cronies, there’s nothing in what they said to indicate that they considered what they were doing as evil. I mean, throwing these people into the gas chambers and so forth. We did not predict that. And I knew nothing about that for a time because I left Germany at the end of 1940. The Potsdam conference, I think, was a month or so after that, in January, in which the “final solution” was adopted.

BILL MOYERS: The program to exterminate the Jews?

WILLIAM L. SHIRER: Yeah. Terrible term in itself, the final solution. Awful. Makes my stomach off.

BILL MOYERS: When you first heard about it, when you first were told that a whole people were being systematically obliterated, did you believe it?

WILLIAM L. SHIRER: I couldn’t believe it, no. And that information came very slowly. And I certainly missed the story myself. But I remember first hearing it in London in ’43.

BILL MOYERS: That late?

WILLIAM L. SHIRER: That late, two years after it really started, or at least a good year. And I heard it from people in the British Foreign Office, and I remember one weekend I spent down with Eden, whom I’d known as a kid, practically, when he used to come to Geneva.

BILL MOYERS: Anthony Eden?

WILLIAM L. SHIRER: Anthony Eden, he was then foreign secretary. And I asked him about it, and he was somewhat, I think it’s fair to say, somewhat anti-Semitic. But anyway, he said it was-there was no truth in it, they were getting these reports, there was no truth in them. I checked when I came back into America, I think with Harry Hopkins, and he told me that Roosevelt had heard these things but Roosevelt, President Roosevelt, did not believe them.

During all that time, the Jews were trying to get the word out, and I believe they did. We know now that they did, and it’s a very bad record that. the British Foreign Office and the American State Department, lin which there were also some anti-Semites, I think they have a very bad record. I have a bad record, too. I did not get the story, really, until Nuremburg.

BILL MOYERS: After the war you sat there listening to this testimony, looking at these pictures.

WILLIAM L. SHIRER: I sat there. One day when they had these terrible pictures, and when we’d had the testimony of a guy named Hoess who’d been the commander at Auschwitz, he was almost proud of it. I went home that night and I couldn’t eat dinner. I think that would be true of my colleagues, too. And for-I was in a daze for three or four days, I think. 1-one’s imagination could not grasp it. They suddenly threw it at us. But we should have learned about it in ’44, and I didn’t, and the government didn’t put it out.

http://billmoyers.com/content/william-l ... -part-two/
"But, however the world pretends to divide itself, there are ony two divisions in the world to-day - human beings and Germans. – Rudyard Kipling, The Morning Post (London), June 22, 1915

Atigun
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Re: William L. Shirer, Anthony Eden, Franklin Roosevelt & US citizens: Their wartime disbelief

Postby Atigun » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:08 am)

Poor old tortured Rudolf Hoess. First he's tortured into signing a confession written in English that he murdered 3 million people and 45 years later the Jews are still kicking him around even after they have admitted that his 3 million was a fantasy.

borjastick
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Re: William L. Shirer, Anthony Eden, Franklin Roosevelt & US citizens: Their wartime disbelief

Postby borjastick » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:49 am)

I'd forgotten that it was the Potsdam Conference which decided on the Final Solution...
'Of the four million Jews under Nazi control in WW2, six million died and alas only five million survived.'

'We don't need evidence, we have survivors' - israeli politician

Hektor
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hektor » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:54 am)

Atigun wrote:Poor old tortured Rudolf Hoess. First he's tortured into signing a confession written in English that he murdered 3 million people and 45 years later the Jews are still kicking him around even after they have admitted that his 3 million was a fantasy.

They didn't believe it, because their own intelligence services didn't do so, after they verified and validated the information they obtained. Plausibly they took a special interest in information about Auschwitz, since it was an industrial center.

Rudolf Hoess appearance was so mechanic, it would have made any objective observer suspicious:
https://archive.org/details/RudolfHoess ... VerhoerIMT

But via repetitive hammering with information you can make the most silly claim believable to an audience.

Just month before the German capitulation the Axis offered to let Jews leave from Hungary:
https://archive.org/details/HungarianOf ... WarCabinet

The report shows that they didn't believe in any policy of "physical annihilation".

TheBlackRabbitofInlé
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby TheBlackRabbitofInlé » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:32 am)

Poor old tortured Rudolf Hoess. First he's tortured into signing a confession written in English that he murdered 3 million people and 45 years later the Jews are still kicking him around even after they have admitted that his 3 million was a fantasy.

The confession Hoess signed on 14-15 March 1946 at Heide whilst he was in British custody is written in German.

The confession written in English was signed at Nuremberg on 5 April 1945.

Hoess knew English to some degree it seems. He told an interrogator at Nuremberg that he'd learnt it in at "Halzbach High School in 1916" and during the two years he spent in Iraq and Palestine during WW1 [Interrogation 01.04.46, p1]. He made similar claims about his English in the memoirs he wrote in Polish custody, and, importantly, his SS personal file states that he knew English.
Nazis tried to create super-soldiers, using steroids ... they sought to reanimate the dead—coffins of famous Germanic warriors were found hidden in a mine, with plans to bring them back to life at the war’s end.
- Prof. Noah Charney

hermod
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby hermod » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:45 am)

borjastick wrote:I'd forgotten that it was the Potsdam Conference which decided on the Final Solution...

I had noticed this mistake too. Anyway most Holohoaxers have now almost completely dropped the Wannsee bogus claim too.
"But, however the world pretends to divide itself, there are ony two divisions in the world to-day - human beings and Germans. – Rudyard Kipling, The Morning Post (London), June 22, 1915

hermod
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby hermod » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:50 am)

Hektor wrote:Rudolf Hoess appearance was so mechanic, it would have made any objective observer suspicious:
https://archive.org/details/RudolfHoess ... VerhoerIMT

True. He looked like a robot trapped in a Soviet mock trial.

https://postimg.org/image/p7fg8h0yj/

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:11 pm)

TheBlackRabbitofInlé wrote:

The confession Hoess signed on 14-15 March 1946 at Heide whilst he was in British custody is written in German.

The confession written in English was signed at Nuremberg on 5 April 1945.

Hoess knew English to some degree it seems. He told an interrogator at Nuremberg that he'd learnt it in at "Halzbach High School in 1916" and during the two years he spent in Iraq and Palestine during WW1 [Interrogation 01.04.46, p1]. He made similar claims about his English in the memoirs he wrote in Polish custody, and, importantly, his SS personal file states that he knew English.

Convincingly explained, refuted, and generally taken care of here:
http://codoh.com/library/document/1968/
How the British Obtained the Confessions of Rudolf Höss
By Robert Faurisson

- Hannover

So called "holocaust eyewitnesses" making absurd, impossible, and contradictory claims is not the exception, but the rule.
Revisionists are just the messengers, the absurd impossibility of the laughable 'holocaust' storyline is the message.
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:51 pm)

I am also curious if Rabbit can show us the alleged Hoess SS personnel file that he claims he checked.

Thanks.

- Hannover

So called "holocaust eyewitnesses" making absurd, impossible, and contradictory claims is not the exception, but the rule.
Revisionists are just the messengers, the absurd impossibility of the laughable 'holocaust' storyline is the message.

Atigun
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Atigun » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:22 pm)

Hannover wrote:I am also curious if Rabbit can show us the alleged Hoess SS personnel file that he claims he checked.

Thanks.

- Hannover

LOL, I'd like to see the Rabbit produce those three million dead people that Hoess confessed to.

Carto's Cutlass Supreme
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Carto's Cutlass Supreme » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:55 pm)

Hi Hermod,

I want to look at the image of the newspaper articles you include, but when I click on them, instead of making the image larger so the text is readable, it sends me into a photo collection where text is still too small to read, but there is an arrow to next image.

hermod
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby hermod » 3 years 1 month ago (Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:21 pm)

Carto's Cutlass Supreme wrote:Hi Hermod,

I want to look at the image of the newspaper articles you include, but when I click on them, instead of making the image larger so the text is readable, it sends me into a photo collection where text is still too small to read, but there is an arrow to next image.

Hi CCS,

You just need to click on the links below the pics and then click on the small pic that came. And perhaps also reduce the size of the larger pic afterward.

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 3 years 1 month ago (Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:28 am)

The "document" below was mentioned previously by TheBlackRabbitofInle.
At another site theBlackRabbitofInle posted this curious 'Nuremberg document' that he said Hoess agreed to and signed:

Yet it is not signed by Hoess and there are no other pages.

It's also curious that this 'Nuremberg document' is not included in the official Nuremberg documents?

Official Nuremberg docs. as in:
https://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/Nuremberg_trials.html
http://nuremberg.law.harvard.edu/php/docs_swi.php?DI=1&text=doc_anal
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/imt.asp

The Rabbit also said:
I've subsequently checked, Hoess' SS file does state that he spoke English

Yet the Rabbit cannot show us the Hoess SS file that Rabbit says he "checked". :roll:

- Hannover

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”