Judge Can't Help Denier's Wife (Zundel Trial Update)

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
FREE ZUNDEL NOW
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Judge Can't Help Denier's Wife (Zundel Trial Update)

Postby FREE ZUNDEL NOW » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:17 am)

Judge Can't Help Denier's Wife

Woman trying to free husband, who disputes Holocaust, jailed in Canada

By JAMIE SATTERFIELD, [email protected]
November 19, 2004

The wife of a prominent Holocaust denier made an appeal Thursday to a federal judge in Knoxville to help free her husband, who was booted from his Sevier County home last year and wound up in a Canadian prison.

"If somebody smashed my window, I have recourse with the law," Ingrid Rimland Zundel said. "If somebody smashes my life (by deporting her husband), I have no recourse This is a political vendetta. This was a setup. My husband only searches for the truth."

U.S. District Court Senior Judge James H. Jarvis found himself in a troubling position. He wanted to help but could not.

"This is a tough, tough case for me," Jarvis said. "But I've said it before, tough cases make bad, bad law."

Jarvis was disturbed not because he sympathized with the controversial views of Ernst Zundel, 65, but because it appeared that Zundel's case was driven, in part, by politics.

"His home country, Germany, wanted him for his preachings, writings on the Holocaust," Jarvis said, noting those views were published on Zundel's well-known Zundelsite Internet page. "This would be a felony under German law."

But Jarvis opined that he ultimately had no jurisdiction over Zundel's fate. The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service's decision to scuttle Zundel out of the country "was a discretionary one not subject to review by this court."

Zundel is a German-born graphic artist and publisher whose involvement with the 1980 pamphlet "Did Six Million Really Die?" rocketed him to infamy as a Holocaust denier and - as some allege - a neo-Nazi.

He lived in Canada for decades but had long been denied citizenship. In 2000, Zundel entered the United States under the visitor visa waiver program, which allows people to visit the United States for 90 days at a time without having to go through the process of getting a visa.

However, as part of that program, Zundel had to sign a form in which he agreed to waive any rights to contest deportation if INS chose to take such action.

While in the United States, Zundel married Rimland and applied for an INS "adjustment" to his status here as a result of that marriage. In the meantime, his visitor visa expired.

In February 2003, Zundel was arrested at his home in Wears Valley, where he was preparing to open an art gallery, and deported to Canada. Once there, he was imprisoned and accused by the Canadian government of being a threat to national security. If he loses that court battle, he will be returned to Germany, where he faces a five-year prison term for his Holocaust views.

Memphis attorney Rehim Babaoglu handled the paperwork for Zundel's effort to get an INS adjustment. He testified Thursday that he had never before had a client kicked out of the country for overstaying his visa when that client was married to a U.S. citizen and had applied for an adjustment.

"I've never seen anything like this in my practice," Babaoglu said. "My opinion is someone took a shortcut, did what they wanted to do, had an agenda. I think the government's got another agenda."

Justice Department attorney Russell J.E. Verby and Assistant U.S. Attorney Suzanne Bauknight argued the INS had every right to deport Zundel.

"He overstayed his welcome under the visa waiver program," Verby said. "We have yet to see a law or regulation the INS violated."

California attorney Bruce Leichty, who argued the case for Zundel on Thursday, said he was not sure yet if he would file an immediate appeal of Jarvis' decision or try to drum up more evidence to try to get the judge to reconsider.

Jarvis said it was unlikely he would change his mind.

"It's a hard decision, but I think it's the right decision," Jarvis said.

The judge did, however, add a comment to Canadian authorities.

"(Zundel's) wife, she's a citizen, and she has rights, and she's hurt by this," Jarvis said. "Surely, the Canadian courts will listen to her as a United States citizen, perhaps give her some relief."

Ingrid Zundel has not seen her husband since he was imprisoned. She said her husband fears she, too, would be arrested if she went to Canada.

"My husband is not a violent person," she said. "He cries if a kitten gets hurt."

Jamie Satterfield may be reached at 865-342-6308.

Source

[END]

ZGram - 11/19/2004 - "Zundel Update: Judge can't help denier's wife"
by Ingrid Rimland Zundel (pictured, with husband Ernst Zundel)

YESTERDAY WAS OUR DAY in the Knoxville District Court - and an education it was for me and, I believe, for the handful of people who attended. Our (partial) petition, as I explained in previous ZGrams, was our plea to the Judge to order the authorities to bring Ernst Zundel back from the Canadian Gulag for habeas corpus here in Tennessee.

Our entire submission is much more complex than that, but we had put the habeas corpus item on the "expedited track," hoping that we would be granted some kind of relief for the egregious government violation. We had a compelling human rights violation story on our side - the government, in this case the defendant(s), had nothing but brash chutzpah and brute "law." And arbitrarily and shamelessly, they used that "law" to beat down our petition.

Today I won't go into some of the interesting details of what was argued, and what was not allowed - I hope to get the transcript before long to put it on the 'Net. You can get the general drift of this amazing and disturbing all-day hearing from the Knoxville Sentinel excerpt below. I will describe this day in more detail for our active financial supporters in our December Power Letter. Let me just add that only PART of our submission was denied. The case is still "alive" - and there will be a follow-up, believe me!

Source

"Either we have free speech.....
OR WE DON'T"

FREE ZUNDEL NOW
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby FREE ZUNDEL NOW » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:49 am)

Zundel's only crime was to question the Zionist version of World War II History --

In Germany it is a criminal offense to do or say anything that displeases the US/Israel backed Jewish Lobby. People can even be jailed in Germany if they displease the Jewish lobby in another country where it is still perfectly legal to have free speech --

If we tolerate the Canadian government deporting someone who has been a legal resident for more than 40 years, who HASN'T COMMITTED ANY CRIME, to a country where he will face years in jail and possible death for not believing the Hollywood version of history we set a terrible precedent --

What can we do? One thing would be to let the Canadian government know (politely) that what it is doing by holding Ernst indefinitely (on no charges) and threatening to deport him is APPALLING --

The Prime Ministers FAX number is 613-941-6900

Canadian Government and Legislature Contact Info

Ernst Zundel needs your support - Visit His Donation Page

Stop Picking On Zundel!!

"Either we have free speech.....
OR WE DON'T"

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:48 am)

Justice Department attorney Russell J.E. Verby said:
"We have yet to see a law or regulation the INS violated."

And we have yet to see the specific date of this 'meeting' Zundel supposedly missed and a reason given as to why a man married to an American citizen had his application for adjustment of his visitors visa status ignored.

And we have yet to see any charges, or evidence of law breaking behavior, brought against Zundel by the Canadian government; yet he has been held in solitary confinement well over a year.

This is the future, a judeo-supremacist totalitarian wonderland. Like it?

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Temporary on hold

Postby Temporary on hold » 1 decade 2 years ago (Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:34 pm)

Justice Department attorney Russell J.E. Verby and Assistant U.S. Attorney Suzanne Bauknight argued the INS had every right to deport Zundel.

"He overstayed his welcome under the visa waiver program," Verby said. "We have yet to see a law or regulation the INS violated."

This is such a misrepresentation of what actually happened that it borders on criminal. The truth is that Zundel was cooperating with his appointments and missed a meeting due to his lawyers not getting the information straight. In this case Zundel had acted faithfully in trying to meet the government's requirements. So therefore he was denied due process and a fair hearing over what was involved with his deportation. Have no doubt, however, that this was US acting with malicious intent and premeditated. This phony answer is a sure sign. Our government is obviously corrupt and no longer honors Consitutional protections. After all, what are we talking about here - we're talking about a spousal application which NEVER receives this amount of scrutiny.

Ask Miss Bauknight how many spousal applicants have a squad of federal agents storm their property for allegedly missing a spousal citizenship application hearing? Zundel was denied due process simply because his right to show that he was faithfully complying was denied. Our government's gone rotten...

One law that was violated was having a large Israeli flag behind the processing officer's desk at the jail. The specific law was acting against a person on US soil for a foreign nation...

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Comments / News”